FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Exclamation ATTENTION KITESURFERS-Warning from Pinellas County Surfers

Found this on the GULFSTER.com website for surfers on the West Coast near Pinellas. Sounds like they're not to happy with the kiters. Probably something to tend to.

"ATTENTION KITESURFERS: Today I witnessed a few kitesurfers come dangerously close to literally landing on some surfers. I may not be the brightest guy in the world but then again it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that should a serious or fatal accident occur it could potentially invite a legislative response in the form of restrictions or outright prohibitions that would adversely affect not only kitesurfers but possibly surfers as well. So having said that please give the surfers in the water a little more room. After all, you have an entire coastline to play with, whereas surfers just have a few isolated spots to do their thing."

gulfster.com
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM

just get ready for beach closures and restrictions. Regardless of the efforts made by all of us who care, some a@@holes are still gonna ruin it for everyone. Hopefully they will only injure themselves and not innocent bystanders. We were just starting to gain some respect from gulfster, they were posting a lot of pics and giving us a lot of credit. Smooth move, whoever it was. Ignorance should be painful
Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Kiters should pass on the downwind side of surfers or well to windward with kite high, not threatening to closeline them. I would make sure there are no surfers ideally within a couple of line lengths downwind when jumping. Some of those jumps really get stretched out particularly on flat kites. I was amazed at how far downwind I went in a session today. Landing jumps near surfers or bathers is idiotic in the extreme and inexcusable. Always look around before you launch a jump. I would not ride routinely through the lineup either. People who do it are offering up their life's earnings and more as potential compensation to the avoidably injured parties. Believe it.

Who has greater numbers, surfers or kiteboarders and who has been around longer? Taking on surfers is also stupid in the extreme and highly unnecessary. We have vastly greater mobility and riding options. Crowding surfers is not smart or advisable and will likely lead to trouble.

Talk to the problem kiters, if they persist get some good video and put it up letting the clip do the talking. Kent might even give you some swag.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-19-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Tom Stock

Ok, fess up... who was it? You know who you are.

Having been one of those surfers almost run down by a kiter 3 years ago I can imagine how pissed of the surfers were. I sure was.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 PM

surfers dont even give each other enouph room.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Skyway Scott

They don't fall from the sky on one another and can't go 30 knots, either.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 PM

i bet they wish they could.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Skyway Scott

I guess no one will take this serious until we lose the beach. Whatever.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 PM

a ban wil make some kiters happy IMO
i'm just happy to kite free!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Tom Stock

Quote:
a serious or fatal accident occur it could potentially invite a legislative response in the form of restrictions or outright prohibitions that would adversely affect not only kitesurfers but possibly surfers as well
Earth to kite surfers... this statement came from someone who is NOT A KITE SURFER.

Great way to promote the sport.