FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Young Kiter Spends A Night Adrift In Brazil

A 16 year old boy and his father were blown offshore by the wind shift that came with a cold front in Brazil. The father was blown offshore first and apparently disappeared. I think the boys kite then went down and couldn't be relaunched causing the two to separate. The father was later rescued by fishermen. The boy was adrift for 18 hours over night by himself. He apparently climbed up on his kite and waited things out until later rescued himself. He was rescued by the Air Military Police. Cold fronts FREQUENTLY are associated with 90 degree wind direction shifts and strong increases in speed. They also can usually be predicted and avoided before they arrive if you do proper weather planning and monitoring. The father is big into tow-in surfing and is trying to bring the sport into this area of Brazil.

"05/06/2007 at 7:20 a.m.
Surfer is 18 hours adrift at sea

The student Caiado Emilio, 16, spent 18 hours adrift at sea, in the Holy Spirit, between Saturday and Sunday. The boy and his father, businessman Hugo Caiado, 46, kitesurfing (sport where the surfer is pulled by a kind of kite, made of same material as hang-gliding) when the wind is over and the two were lost. Hugo was rescued by fishermen, but Emilio ended up being dragged by a chain.

Father and son, extreme sports, surfing began at 10 am in the Regency Beach in line, near the mouth of the Rio Doce. Around 14 hours, Hugo was far from the coast when "the wind zeroed." Worried about her father, Emilio decided to look it up. Ended up drifting too.

"A group of fishermen returned because the notice of arrival of a cold front and took me to a distant port," said Hugo, who received food and coffee on the boat. "You could not enter the bar of the Rio Doce. It was a tense night, but I knew that when morning came, he would be found"."
http://www.folhavitoria.com.br/espec...-alto-mar.html

http://static.panoramio.com/

and another account:

"Young spends 18 hours adrift in kitesurfing board
Duty | Posted on 04/06/2007 at 10:00 am
Online Gazette, The Globe Onli
VICTORY - The practitioner kite Caiado Emilio, 16, spent more than 18 hours adrift at sea, five miles from the coast of Espirito Santo to be rescued on Sunday morning. Emilio and his father, businessman Hugo Caiado Espirito Santo, were practicing the sport on the beach of Regency, in Linhares, north shore of the state, when the breeze stopped and they were adrift at sea. Hugo could be rescued by fishermen in the region soon. The board he was a teenager, but was hit by a sea current

The teenager said that around 14 pm on Saturday, he noted that his father was far from the beach and went to him to know what was happening. As you approach the equipment Hugo Caiado, the kite and the wind stopped him, a kind of kite pulls the surfer with the wind, fell into the water.

- I was behind my father who was away from the beach. Except that it windy and I stopped falling in a pinch. My Kite fell into the water. I do not like to raise more. I just picked up by a sea current and went away from the beach. Picked up the kite and made it float. Luckily, I am a calm person. I stayed calm until they rescue me - reports.

Emilio was rescued by the group Air Military Police, who located at 8 am Sunday morning on the coast of Aracruz. Emilio said that the greatest difficulty in these 18 hours adrift was cold."
http://oglobo.globo.com/pais/mat/200.../296017321.asp

http://www.padrejoao.com.br/2/index....as=1&m=4&pag=7

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 10-12-2011 at 04:07 AM.