FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Photos - Unexpected Twilight Session!

We had some unforecast wind last night, around 15 to 22 mph side shore from the south. There were a lot of squalls on the radar but just inland and running north parallel to the coast. They seemed to be clearing south first so I headed down to Hillsboro Inlet for an evening kiting session. Here are some shots from my helmet mounted GoPro HD2 camera.

Launching, a bunch of guys were already out.

I sheared off a bolt head on my normal smaller board so I went with my monster sized tt. Anyone know any good tricks for removing a sheared off footstrap bolt from a board?

I was hoping for some good sunset colors as usual but with the mass of clouds to the west, it was hard to say if they would turn on or not.

I ran downwind after verifying working backup wind to the south wouldn't be a big deal. Coming up on the first reef as it goes inland forming the northern breakwater/jetty foundation for Hillsboro Inlet. The waves were pretty small this time and the tide dead low. I stupidly set myself up to get dragged over this reef getting some shots in the past. Don't want to repeat that experience as smooth as it appears it cuts like a bunch of razors as you get ripped over it.

The view east over the land going reef.

The colors are starting to heat up as the sun eases below the horizon and a big cloud mass.

The lighting gives it the look of a harsh primitive place, not so fortunately.

What a great evening for kiting!

The 147 ft. all steel lighthouse was first lit up in 1907. More about it at http://www.hillsborolighthouse.org/

I keep a weather eye to the west, literally. The radar was showing the storms paralleling the shore and heading north. Still, things can change so it is good to always stay aware while kiting of weather trends and changes, acting early when indicated.

The squalls are staying inland but starting to see some electrical activity. Time to head in and call it a night.

See you next time!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 PM

Always great to see that blue Cab flying out by the lighthouse. I know there'll be some good photos, like the one of the lighthouse beyond the breakwater rocks (9th one in), and interesting reading.
I'm glad you were able to get away long enough to go kiting and take these shots. I brought my camera and actually had a 10 second inner dialog with myself about whether to come into shore and get my camera out of the car and take some photos or to stay out and kite some more... I'm glad you got some photos cus I got none!
Thanks for sharing, Rick.
info@sfwindsports.com
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thank you Dave! I never quite know myself until I can see them on the computer. Last night the sunset light and colors were more subdued than I would have liked due to that large squall inland to the west. Still, things worked out. The main thing is to enjoy your time on the water, so even if your camera spent the session in the car, that is good enough. Photos complete the experience for me when they work out. That is unless it is a nice strong wind session of course in which case there are other more compelling compensations! As you say, I was lucky to get out at all even for a short time. It is good to bring some of the session back home in photos. Fall is moving closer, here's to more good wind days.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi