FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Finnian03

Default Sickest session at Cypress

I got off work at 6 and ran home to grab my gear this evening. There has been such little winds, that when I saw the trees blowing a bit, I was desperate to get even an hour session. Well I'm sure happy I decided to go out.

I went to Cypress beach, and was the only one there. Pumped up my fifteen, threw it up in the air and was able to get in a solid hour before the sun set. It was really light winds, probably wouldn't have been able to get away with it had it not been for my weight (150lb), but still worth it.

Just as the sun was setting, I decided it would be my last run. I headed out towards the Howard Franklin away from the beach, and just as I passed the jetty, I saw something surface about 6 feet downwind of me. At first I had no idea what it was since I didn't get a good look. My questions were answered when I saw a second surface right after. Manatees!

I'm guessing it was a mother and child because the first ended up being what looked to be like 10 feet while the smaller was about 5. I was wondering if they would still swim with me if I headed out to see. I ended up riding side by side with them until I was about 100 feet from the bridge before I turned around. My trip back wasn't as exciting, don't know where they went.

Coming from Long Island I've never experienced anything remotely close to this. No doubt this was the sickest session I've ever had.