FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Unusual Flat Kite Jumps?

Have other folks noticed some of the unusual jumps that can be thrown using the new flat kites? I was out on a 12 m Switchblade yesterday in winds ranging from the low to high teen mph range. There were times I would throw a jump, more or less vertically. The strange part is that the descent would stall or hesistate for a while. You look down and wonder when you will come down. Neat stuff.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Rick,

I just purchased a 14 meter GK Sonic from Extreme Kites. http://www.oceanextremesports.com/ca...roducts_id=303

I finally took it out yesterday and I was amazed on how simple a bow kite will just float you. Once your airborne and ready to come down you slowly raise the bar up and you will descend smoothly. I was able to ride from 12 - 20 mph with one kite. That to me is a big savings in the pocket and I am looking at having just a 2 kite quiver.

-Chris
Old 03-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcmoore
Rick,

I just purchased a 14 meter GK Sonic from Extreme Kites. http://www.oceanextremesports.com/ca...roducts_id=303

I finally took it out yesterday and I was amazed on how simple a bow kite will just float you. Once your airborne and ready to come down you slowly raise the bar up and you will descend smoothly. I was able to ride from 12 - 20 mph with one kite. That to me is a big savings in the pocket and I am looking at having just a 2 kite quiver.

-Chris
I flew a Sonic up in Ft. Pierce for a while thanks to GK. It liked the way it handled. I have tried about five flat kites so far for varying periods of time. Many of those thanks to Daryl and Pat at Ocean Extreme Sports at the Matanzas Kite Blast! Kudos to the guys at Cabrinha for the rest of the riding time. I think the industry is on to something. Looking forward to new developments.

I am still exploring the jumping characteristics. I understand that you can even cycle some of the flat kites to extend hover time. Interesting stuff!

Have fun!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Can't Re-member

since U stay up in the air longer the wind carries U more downwind,

much more horizontal jumping
Old 03-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
since U stay up in the air longer the wind carries U more downwind,

much more horizontal jumping
Yes, I have noticed the horizontal extent goes up particularly if I jump it like a regular C kite at least in the case of the Crossbow. I am still playing around with launch variations but every once in a while I luck out and throw a real high whopper. It is nice when things come together.

Do you use any special launch setup with the Switchblade? I was quizing a bunch of guys on the Crossbow and started to get some good techniques dialed in with nice results. I have only a couple of sessions in with the Switchblade so far.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi