FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-17-2006, 08:48 AM

Old 10-17-2006, 08:51 AM

Ok, now I see that the insurance is for the instructors. Agreed.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:59 AM
E-Bone

I think Shawn's 5 rules are enough, even though a lot of people will argue the unhooked launching rule (yeah, I know Shawn, that rule is big in OBX because of what happened there on a hooked launch several years ago, I think to J.T.). Keep it simple. We've been over and over the pros and cons of getting the government entangled in this before and I remain opposed to it.

Self-regulation is the key. There is a big local scene here and it seems like whenever it is windy there are 10+ people around that I know. When a beginner or a visitor from out of town starts to do kooky shit at one of our few spots, we need to talk to that person and let him or her know that the conduct is not acceptable. If it continues despite all heroic efforts, get some back-up and cut their lines. If we stick together as a group on this, it should work.

I think that self-regulation can be hard to do because people typically don't like confrontation. It's easier to pass the buck and ask somebody else to regulate our conduct when a few of us are stepping out of line. It takes some bravery and conviction to tell another kiter that he or she is making bad decisions that are bad for all of us.

Cutting someone's lines is a drastic remedy and should not be done without some serious thought and unless all other approaches fail. Still, it is what it is. You take a drunk's car keys away. You take a punk's kite lines away. The old schoolers have been using this method in severe situations for years and it is a kiteboarding custom to deal with kookiness that way. A noob hitting someone with a 15m kite is enough, in my mind, particularly with having an attitude afterward, to merit at least a threat of same should the noob refuse to pack it up.

Finally, let me note that the persons that I perceive to be dangerous to our access are typically beginning kiters who don't know any better, visitors from out of town who don't care about access here, or a combination of both. The beginners will likely want to fit in around here and earn their spots in the lineup, and it is in our interest to help them to become solid members of the local scene. The visitors from out of town who are reckless because of apathy to our scene will likely be hesitant to take on 15 local kiters. Either way, peer pressure (the good kind) should work wonders.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM

Josh I agree that bow kite users should launch hooked in. Danny right of way rules state that a rider with right hand forward has righ of way so if the ridder turning around has left hand forward or is downwind of the other rider than the rider has right of way no matter what. Also it says in sailng right of way that you should avoid collision at all times no matter what. So Yes it is your responsibility to look behind you. I know were all guilty of not doing it even me. But that is the right of way rules regarding that.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:58 PM
tomstock

Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM

Steve- I think you have some good ideas, but i also think you are getting a little ahead of yourself on some of this. I will tell anyone and everyone that I am a certified "USA Waterski" waterski and wakeboard coach. I am proud of it and the training that i went thru, as well as the instruction I can provide. USA Waterski is the governing body of skiing. In order to become a member, you simply pay dues, register, and get a card in the mail. This membership provides accident insurance in any "sanctioned" events, as well as other benefits.(for more details visit www.usawaterski.org) At any tournaments, competitors must sign waivers much like the Tampa Bay Kitemasters waivers for each event, as well as prove USA Waterski Membership. That sport has been around for a very long time, and has gone thru several programs to reach their current status. Yes, it’s a much different sport, but they also went thru a lot of grassroots recruiting and development and could be a great jumping off point for a similar organization for kiters.

Now if I choose to go out on the boat waterskiing on my local lake, I cannot assume that every other boat driver on the water is certified or that they even know how to drive a boat, nor can I or should I. I can only assume responsibility for myself and I need to be aware of my surroundings at all times. Nowhere does it state in the worldwide sport of waterskiing that you can't come ski on this public lake if you're not certified. Sure, you can't compete in my event if you're not certified, but we can't control everyone and quite frankly its not "our beach" (although sometimes it feels that way).

A state park with a public beach is a place for people to come and do their own thing. Unfortunately that involves stupid tourists and non-locals who aren't familiar, putting us all at risk. We need to do what we can to "self-regulate", and be approachable enough to offer advice about the launch sites to people we don't recognize. I have seen Scott approach a new rider at the Skyway...step into the water and give him some advice about safety issues and make the decision that either the kite needs to be brought down and the rider needs some lessons, or if he simply needs to be pointed towards an area with less hazards. He did not need to cut the kid's lines or threaten him, but he got his point across and now the guy knows.

I think a sign at the beach with a "kite at your own risk" and a few general rules is a great idea, and would be very easy to implement. I don't think that you are going to be able to require me to get a level 3 IKO/PASA card to fly my kite at East Beach. There will be time between my lessons with instructors and when I reach level 3. I will not be paying 60-100 dollars per hour so an instructor can watch me practice body dragging upwind or relaunching my kite. I believe everyone should go thru lessons to learn the self-rescue, safety systems of the kites and information about how to read weather, hazards, etc.

Everyone should be STRONGLY encouraged to take lessons. I just don't think that at this point in time, you can stop me, or anyone else from launching at East Beach without my official Level 3 card. (however, I do think something like that could DEFINITELY be implemented in an event... especially a 25 mile race)”

I just wanted to bring some perspective from another sport that has resulted in many deaths and injuries, but is governed well now and has set itself up properly
8)
Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Old 10-17-2006, 10:38 PM

If you guys are talking about certifying regular riders as opposed to instructors, that's bullshit.

I have no certification of ANY sort and I haven't caused problems. And I don't see myself getting any certification ever.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:15 AM
tomstock

Old 10-18-2006, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420
If you guys are talking about certifying regular riders as opposed to instructors, that's bullshit.

I have no certification of ANY sort and I haven't caused problems. And I don't see myself getting any certification ever.
I hear you man.. and i also am of the attitude that "its others causing the problem.." ..

BUT.

if we self regulated that you must have a cert card to kite in certain areas (even tho it might not be anything that could really be enforced) it carries with it some weight when talking to a newbie who is launching his kite..

"Do you have your certification to ride here??"

"Umm.. certification??"

"Yes.. you MUST have your certification to ride here..." etc.. etc..

might work for some.. might not for others..

I dont know.. seems like we need some way to sound official when talking to a new rider about responsibility and keeping the beaches safe.

then again.. i hit the beach.. i rig and i get the F*CK out on the water and dont come back into until i am ready to leave.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa