FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Question need help and directions

Hi guys, I come from Italy and I am going to visit Miami area on a regular base since my big passion is kiting I hope to have a chance to enjoy it while I am there. there is anyone who could help me to figure out how it works in the area? what are the best places, if we can get some wave, if I have to bring my stuff or there are renting places and so on. my next visit will be at the end of April is a good period? obviously I will be more than happy to exchange info to whomever plans a trip to Europe in general and Italy in particular.
thank you in advance and ciao.
Lorenzo
Old 03-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Lorenzo,

Late April is usually still a good time to go kiting in SE Florida. This year has been a little unusual, light, so please don't hold me to that generalization. Most of the wind comes with cold fronts, so if a strong one is coming through you should be in good shape.

For sheltered calmer waters Biscayne Bay, more specifically the Miami Flats excel in those conditions. A boat or sea taxi is required to get out there but it is worth the trip and expense if the wind is on. There are shoreside launches like Matheson Hammock and Crandon Park but can be crowded or in the case of Crandon certification and other requirements apply. The Keys offer interesting flat water venues too.

For waves I would suggest a road trip, perhaps north to Jupiter or further north still to Ft. Pierce. Both areas can excel for waves for SE Florida anyway. Waves south of Palm Beach county into Ft. Lauderdale and Miami can sometimes be more choppy and less well formed due to the protective effect of the Bahamas.

If you have time and mobility, I would suggest a roadtrip to take in several launch areas depending upon conditions. More at the first two stickie posts at: http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo View Post
Hi guys, I come from Italy and I am going to visit Miami area on a regular base since my big passion is kiting I hope to have a chance to enjoy it while I am there. there is anyone who could help me to figure out how it works in the area? what are the best places, if we can get some wave, if I have to bring my stuff or there are renting places and so on. my next visit will be at the end of April is a good period? obviously I will be more than happy to exchange info to whomever plans a trip to Europe in general and Italy in particular.
thank you in advance and ciao.
Lorenzo

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Default thank you

Hi RickI,
thank you very much for the very useful infos and the link for the road trip. The american hospitality is proverbial but it ia always great to have first hand experience on it. I will take your suggestions last week of April if any body out there wants to join me!!
I any body ever need help and guidance on Kiting in Italy i will be more than happy to help.
ciao
lorenzo
Old 04-11-2008, 12:04 PM

Default Waves

If you're looking for waves, there are a few spots along the beach where we can ride. Send me a PM if you want to go to the one in South Beach by 21st St. I'll be happy to orient you.