FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 AM

Default Visiting Lake Worth

My boyfriend and I are visiting Lake Worth in December & hope to get some kiting in. I've read some postings that discuss riding in Lake Worth- can anyone tell me exactly where? Not the lake itself right- but the ocean nearby? Any info on good launch spots in the area would be great. I was planning to head to Delray, but its a bit of a drive.

Also, I've found the rules/regs for kiting in Delray area (or beach just south of there), but don't know if other areas have different rules. Any info on that would be great too.

thx
Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 AM

Jules,

As for Kiteboarding the Lake Worth area. You are correct it is the ocean. We really don't have any "Lake" ICWW (IntraCostal Water Way) areas to kite. There is one small section directly west of Boynton Inlet, But it's tight and critical. it's the only flat water in the area (best to avoid actually, as enticing as it may look) if you get hit by a lull or a gust and miss getting back to the (small beach) it's hard to find a place to exit the water. There are oyster encrusted pilings and seawalls EVERYWHERE. I've kited there and had a few episodes, I haven't been back since.

Now on to Lake Worth and the areas South:

Lake Worth Beach has a north and south side (of the pier) The South side can be kited all day (providing theres wind) as long as you stay outside of the guarded area, You'll notice the sign posted on the beach. The North side can be kited up untill 9am ( when the guards come on duty) and then again after 5:30pm (once the guards leave)
Lake Worth's beach is fairly narrow, Not the best place to kite. But definalty do'able.

Boynton Inlet:
Theres a North side (North of the inlet) GR8 place to kite on a SE wind, Fairly large beach ( except theres a HUGE drop off there currently ) just check the launch,landing area due to debris. This beach gets pretty nasty with trash ( I know it's a shame )

The South side (Mouth of the inlet and futher south) can be pure paradise on a NE wind. The Jetty cuts down the surface chop and on an outgoing tide there's usally decent wave that will hold up against the tide. Flat water with swell= Paradise IMO

Hammock Park (just north of Boynton Public Beach) free parking and a HUGE beach. This would be the most user friendly beach in the area. Untill perhaps you get down to Delray Beach.

Only thing to watch out for here is the Public beach to the south, Just stay outside the bouys between 9-5 (guarded hours) and you should have no problems, This is also the most likely area to encounter other kiters.

Hope the info helps :wink:
Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Excellent summary on the area HIGHFLYN. I know the current beneath the inlet bridge can get pretty intense. Do you have any precautions to pass along regarding riding near the channel, aside from avoiding boat traffic? I have also noticed that you have some particularly fine swells cast off the northern side of the inlet in strong northerly winds at times.

Delray really isn't that far away from Lake Worth, at least once you are on A1A. The drive is scenic and goes fast.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-07-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
I know the current beneath the inlet bridge can get pretty intense. Do you have any precautions to pass along regarding riding near the channel, aside from avoiding boat traffic?

Delray really isn't that far away from Lake Worth, at least once you are on A1A. The drive is scenic and goes fast.
As for the current "in" the inlet, this curent can run from between 6-8 knots. It is one of the most dangerous inlets on the east coast. Boat traffic is definatly an issue to be aware of in lite to moderate wind. But usually in heavy wind the boat traffic is light (since most boaters know of the dangers with this inlet and the ajecent area to the south infront of the south jetty, Known as the "Grave yard" this area is a shoal where sand piles up and creates a stand up wave. Bad for boating but GR8 for boosting

As for kiting in the "Narrow" inlet. I've done it in perfect conditions but I would'nt suggest it to anyone. I've spent the last 22 years living in this area. Between boating and surfing the inlet and I believe I have a good read on the waters. BUT THINGS DO HAPPEN and I've seen it first hand.

So if you choose to kite in the inlet it would be best to kite there on an outgoing tide, that way if there were a problem you'd be washed out to sea. Rather then ripped in the inlet @ 6-8 knots only to encounter the fixed bridge (A1A) that crosses over the inlet.

As for Rick pointing out the Scenic drive along A1A from Lake Worth to Delray. That it definalty is "Scenic" and well worth the trip if you've never done it before.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:38 PM

Thanks for all the info, its nice to have some options if Delray doesn't blow when were in town. Can't wait to ride in warm water (we usually ride in the Columbia River Gorge & Pacific- tis cold).
Anyway, thanks again & lemme know if you ever need beta on riding in the NW.