FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Flats on Sunday anyone

I am looking to take a few 2-3 Bahia Boats out to the miami flats on sunday to do some kiting / hang out / Photos. Shoot me a PM with contact info if you are interested. All gas / drink / food will be covered by Bahia Boat.

http://www.bahiaboat.com/

Last edited by ricki; 04-02-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru View Post
I am looking to take a few 2-3 Bahia Boats out to the miami flats on sunday to do some kiting / hang out / Photos. Shoot me a PM with contact info if you are interested. All gas / drink / food will be covered by Bahia Boat.

www.bahiaboat.com
Wow, that's a generous offer, thanks! The forecast looks pretty good right now per NWS for the Miami Flats,

SUNDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 04-02-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:49 PM
ruffridah89

got your pm on facebook.
If you can hook me up with some gear as well, that'll be awesome because I sold my old gear while back.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 AM

Forecast is still looking good, I got a good response so it looks like this will be a fun event, Also if interested make sure you send me your cell so I can call you tomorrow to confirm. I will be posting some more details later on today.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:58 PM

Thumbs up We are a go!

We are a GO for a free, fun get together!

Ok here is the current plans

Leave from Crandon Park Marina at 9am

Directions and info about the park can be found here
http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/parks/crandon_marina.asp

We will head out and find a nice spot on the flats to chill and kite all day.

I have a few non kiters going so little down winders for those not so upwind friendly.

HOWEVER - this trip is ONLY for people have had adequate lessons and are self-sufficient kiteboarders with there own gear, If you can't stay up wind that is not a problem, I have a least one non kiter who has offer to host some down winders. But there will 0 tolerances for anyone showing up who clearly does not know what they are doing or acting in an unsafe manner, we are offering support to bring you back upwind - not lessons!

Also, we are offering support to get you back upwind if needed but all areas are not accessible by boat, espcially at low tide, so you will need to avoid these areas or ride to area where we can get you. We will try organize a group downwinder once we are there. Just make sure you plan before heading downwind, we will discuss more onsite.

With that out of the way let’s get to the good stuff

We will be providing the following -

Drinks (Gatorade, Water, and Soda) if you want beer bring it and coolers will be provided
Lunch (Sandwiches, Chips, and Other Sides)
Electric Pump (Bring you pump as well)
Boat ride to and from the Crandon Park Marina at 9am (to flats), 1pm (both ways), 6pm (to marina)
An anchored boat all day as a base of activity
An anchor with floats and ties downs for securing inflated kites on the flats
Good times for all

What you need to bring -

Kiting Gear (struts inflated, Lines neatly rolled)
Bathing Suit
Sun Screen
Towel
Anything else you feel necessary

Please note – Space is somewhat limited so please don’t be excessive with your gear, 1-2 boards and 1-2 kites, we should have a good idea what to expect in the morning and if there is a radical change we will make a run back to the marina for gear.

Any other questions on concerns please let me know, I will be calling those that left me there cell this evening or tomorrow. Please shoot me a PM or Call 954-775-7658 to confirm your spot, as of now we still have room.

Now all we need is mother nature to show us some love!

Last edited by BizGuru; 03-28-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:57 AM

Current forecast shows for a lighter than expected morning. However we are still headed out. I will be at the marina at 9am with plans to leave the marina at 10am.

See you all there.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks BizGuru for putting this event together.
Even thought there wasn't much wind we got to ride on 15's and wide boards. The ride back on these bahia boats was plenty of fun.

I got to try Roberto's RRD 15M and was stoked! Can't wait to try the Royal as he sayed it is from the same designer. Plenty of power, ride really smoothly and turn super fast.

Tony
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Thanks!

Ken,

Thanks so much to you for the invite, and Kevin for his help, and for organizing lunch and a great time out at Stiltsville on Sunday. It was well worth waiting for the wind, and we dodged a bullet nicely when that squall moved over and around us at the end of the day!

The Bahia Boats inflatables were impressive and we were planing no problem with 2 passengers and loaded with some gear with an 8HP motor. I think we only burned about 1/2 gallon of gas? It did not take long to get out to a nice riding spot either!

As launch sites become more and more restricted all over the state (especially in the Miami area) these boats should be a nice alternative for people wanting to access totally uncrowded and SAFE riding spots. For people wanting to learn kiteboarding this is definitely the right idea - get out of the waves and current and away from crowded beaches and dangerous conditions until you have some basic skills mastered. If a couple people partnered on a boat this would seem very affordable and make so much sense. Just make sure you have proper safety gear on board, Coast Guard approved items, and proper anchoring tackle.

The wind and waves up in Jupiter have been great the past few days and I'm enjoying it to the max before heading back to St. Pete! If you are over that way please feel free to get in touch.

cheers!

rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 AM

i went to check out the bahia boat site but the link is broken.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Bahia Boats Link

There was a roque 'b' in the link he posted.. http://www.bahiaboat.com/