FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-16-2008, 07:29 AM

Default Winds a comming

Looks like the storm is comming monday, 30-40 knot winds. I'll finally get to use one of the 6 meters I bought.
________
0hAssSandwich

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hope we all luck out with this one. That is no damage and some quality riding time. Monday is way in the future with this one but right now it looks dicey.

MONDAY
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. NORTHEAST TO EAST
WINDS 25 TO 35 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 KNOTS...INCREASING TO 35 TO
45 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON.
SEAS BEYOND THE
REEF BUILDING TO 8 TO 12 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 TO 4 FEET.
NEARSHORE WATERS VERY ROUGH. NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

If there are big clear weather holes between the feeder bands and squalls may work out for expert riders with care and monitoring in lighter winds. If not, wouldn't mess with it myself even with a 6 m. Just looking back over a loss in Seattle involving similar wind speeds earlier this year. Good luck everybody, keep an eye on this one.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-16-2008, 03:09 PM

Default winds a comming

Yeah, if conditions allow I will definately be out riding, I will be using my 8m Thruster on 20m lines , the max winds I have been out in was 40 + mph in a tropical storm about 7 years ago on a 2 line 5m Wipika (Paul Menta and myself off of Smathers and White st pier), I have got a lot more conservative nowadays, but if it is good it should be fun.

Greg
Old 08-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Too funny, I just launched the identical 5 m Wipika early the year before. It tumbled in some wind shadow from low dunes and rolled downwind, then about a 45 mph squall gust hit, ouch! I got dragged at high speed over about 125 ft. of sand and then about drowned as things went offshore with it pulling me underwater. Set the damn thing free with difficulty and then sprinted a 1/4 mile down the beach to catch it. Talk about a cardio workout! Fine sand kicked up at speed is hard to breath, they don't tell you that. It was a normal summer squall too. It all worked out though but the lesson escaped me. Accidentally went out into 50 to 60 mph hurricane related squall winds 7 months later with a 9.5 m kite, it didn't work out all that well. Maybe I could carry paint balloons and do some artwork on the house next time. Hope we get squall free fairly even winds. Some guys are up for riding in squalls, not me, finally paid attention to that last "4x4 blow to my beanie." That and all the other guys that have been killed and crippled in storm winds. Good luck out there.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-16-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:21 PM

Default winds a comming

When i was a teenager in South Africa my friends and myself would surf in almost any weather condition just to say we did it, same thing when I started kiting, I "think" I am wiser now and don,t need to test or prove to myself that I can handle it, although sometimes the urge is too strong and you just gotta go out.Kevin I hope you get out in Marathon,and Paul, as soon as I have taken care of my boat and the pools I will see you out there.

Greg
Old 08-16-2008, 06:10 PM

Be sure to get some pictures/video.

Frank