FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Memory Lane

What's going on? What's going on? Not a damn thing! Thought it might be fun to dig into memory lane and recall your most memorable session from last season 06/07..........

Took the family to St. Augustine early spring 07. Never had been, and wanted to check out the sights. Very cool town, great restaurants, and just one of the best vibes in Florida. Brought the kites just in case.....well on our last day we woke up to some 25+ winds and I rushed the family out and headed to Extreme Kites for some local tips. They sent me to the Mantazas inlet. Tide was perfect, wind was solid, and I just hoped some other locals were there. After a short ride on the sand, we arrived at the inlet to some serious overhead waves on the outside a smooth texture on the inside of the inlet. The best of both worlds. Only two guys out and my stomach was in twists. Pumped up a 9M Omega and proceeded to head out into the big surf. I think if I had my straps any tighter my toes would have fallen off. With each tack, I headed closer and closer to the outside break which was much bigger than it looked from the beach. Isn't that always the case??? There was a guy on a Flexi throwin down some great moves. I just wanted to come out in one piece. I was missing my wingman Gabe, but as the session unfolded I became more and more comfortable in this kitesurfing paradise. I still remember a hollar from within when I reached what I consider the best session of the season for me. This was a session I had always envisioned the day I began to learn this sport....and it finally was a reality. It would have only been topped had I had a few buds to share it with.

Thanks Extreme Kites for the excellent advice and local knowledge....and I would definately consider a trip back on a strong N'Easter. Plenty of cheap hotels and cheap eats as well. Lots to do if the winds are calm.

Your turn!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Skyway Scott

One of my most memorable days also occurred in S.A.
It was a day that was blowing solid 35 to 40 all day.
I got to do a morning session with Daryl before work out at Matanzas inlet.
Daryl was on a 7m Waroo Pro jumping to the frickin' moon off the waves. Daryl is the only guy I have seen who might jump as high as Billy. That day he was going HUGE. No spectators or cameras, obviously. I just remembered, it was blowing so hard it blew to pieces the glass on my topper. You know it's nuking when sh$t starts breaking off of your truck.

After work that day, Toast and I did a 12 mile downwinder in 10 to 13 foot waves. It was still solid 30 to 40. It was insane. The sand on the beach looked so weird, it looked like the surface of another planet. The waves were so big they didn't seem real either. The whole scene was beyond my comprehension. I just trusted Toast had a clue what we were in for.
I don't know if that was the most pleasurable session of my life, but it is definitely one I remember well for being the most different and out of my comfort zone.

I actually remember most of Donna's sessions more than mine. I vividly remember her session at the secret spot with myself, Tom and Bayflite. She pulled off 5 double backrolls (at height) in a row on a 15m kite in about 15 to 17 knots. Landed all of them and rode out smooth.
Pretty sweet. I also remember a lot of Tom's, Wolfie's and everyone else's best jumps and crashes. I still love riding, but am to the point now where I can actually watch and enjoy others too. I use to show up, ride for the amount of time I had, and book back to work.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:58 PM
popeye

North Beach Ft. Desoto... 45 gusting to 55 (measured on the beach). My board blew down the beach more than once. Shit burried 2 feet in the sand so it wouldn't blow away. Jumping big and sketchy on a shitty 5m C kite... Scott jumping huge on a nice 7m.

Billy shows up on a 9m (!!!) C kite jumping to the moon, and bayflite walking (he was on a 13m foil and stopped riding because he broke some lines at shell).

Honestly, I don't think it was last season... not many big days last season. It must have been the season before that because there were no bows on that day...
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 PM

I'd say probably my first night ride. That has to be the most exciting. I went out couple times in the 30knot stuff but the night ride was sick (18-22knots)! Danny, Tom, Myself, and a few others all out at Lassing on a super high tide/full moon. Few people had glowsticks, the rest were shadows. Actually landed my first front/back rolls that night! Ended up riding until about 1-2am. Never realized, going into the session, the view of downtown st. pete that existed there. Awesome!
-sean
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t...27s+downwinder

...the "windsurfers hot tub" incident. LOL!!!

...or maybe the day of the races over at the Skyway Bridge. Roy, Linda and I went to East Beach super early and had it all to ourselves for most of the morning and only 6 kites or so after Erick, Russky, and some guy from Orlando showed up for the rest of the day. Epic session that felt like 2005 with only 3 kites at East Beach.

Of course if I can count non-locally there was the trip to Hatteras last week. I finally landed my first 2 back 360's, learned a new grab and was finally riding upwind toeside. Also learned my water start toeside. Definite achievements for me!

Last edited by toby wilson; 07-19-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:59 AM

feb 25 2007 .. east beach.. Tom has video of the day.. it was one of the best from last season.. started off med winds.. lots of 13 to 16m kites.. ended up cranking in from the SSW and 9 to 12m kites were flying everywhere.. counted 35+ kites on the water at one time. 15+ more on the beach. not a single incident. not a single complaint the next day on the forums. Billy and Alex going off the hook. tons of watchers taking photos and having a blast watching the action. i spent all day there and kited at least 5+ hours. everyone was smiling and stoked about the conditions and the scene. truly what kiting in this area is all about.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 AM
popeye

True, that was one of the best days of last season! The video is here:

http://www.floridakiteboarder.com

-tom