FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 AM

He mentioned on GMA that he will be back out riding trop storms and will wear a snowboarding helmet. The reporter had to give a disclaimer after the interview to say that they do not condone his behavior or statements and then the weather guy came on and talked about predictable wind that we love in the winter vs. trop storm gusts. Kevin stated that "everyone was out" because of the lack of wind in the summer. We def know that not "everyone" was out, so that stung a bit. What do you guys think? Case in point that someone that has been riding for 4 years ends up in such a risky situation versus many newbies. Linda was spot on when she mentioned complacency.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Can't Re-member

I don't think he was ready for the interview, he mis-said quite a few things.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 AM

Wow, what an interview. There should have been a disclaimer beforehand stating that this is an interview with a brain injured individual, and that comments made cannot be considered fully valid, as adequate time has not been allowed for recovery.
From the sounds of his injury in prior postings: spinal fractures, fractured ankle, subdural hemorrhage, I can't believe he went home so soon! I am an occupational therapist, and anyone with these types of injuries will go to inpatient/subacute rehab after leaving the hospital. I understand that Kevin does not have insurance, but geesh, I would think that he would need a lot more observation and therapy to make a better, healthier recovery. He's come so far this quickly, why take any other chances??!!
I really hope that his "I'll go back out in another storm," comment is merely taken with a grain of salt considering the circumstances......
Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 AM

His family should have said no to the interview. Cleary he is in no state of mind to be in front of a camera or doing anything for that matter.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Kevin has had a serious brain injury. I understand he forgets things within minutes and has very poor short term memory. I experienced this for almost a month after my injury.

Out of concern for the rise of negative sentiment in the kiteboarding community, I spoke with his mother by phone today for the first time. She was present during the two hour shoot that was condensed into the four minute GMA broadcast. She said Kevin was asked three times would he go out in such conditions again. The first two times he said no emphatically. The third time when the interviewers decided to go live, he said yes, astonishing the people present. He kept confusing the storm with a hurricane, wind speeds and still other details. If his injury is anything like mine, the confusion, poor recall are intense. They are also fairly obvious. I understand he made several comments that might have helped things which were left out of the broadcast.

I understand he may be facing $75,000.00 in medical expenses without insurance. Interviews may help with these expenses although perhaps not substantially so. At the same time, interviewing someone recovering from head injury with impairment isn't a great idea either. It potentially damages his credibility, his statements and that of the media carrying the broadcast. To portray events as otherwise is to no ones credit. All this at a time when it might be best that he focus on healing.

I just learned from his mother that interviews were given to Nightline and Inside Edition as well. Astounding. I contacted a person (producer?) with Nightline and expressed all these concerns and followed it up with an email summary. I said many in kiteboarding were very concerned about the harm potentially being done to the sport by the original video clip and possibly in response to subsequent interviews. In addition to identifying some of the points listed, I asked that an expert be interviewed to provide an accurate view of the sport and ways of avoiding problems. There must be dozens of kiteboarders (not me either) out there that could help to put things to rights in a broadcast. She was sympathetic, said she would forward the email and was uncertain if the Nightline segment would run given the Democratic Convention coverage. A person well placed in the Kiteboarding Industry is trying to do the same thing with Inside Edition.

We have had so many donation drives here and elsewhere over the years. We go in with a simple expectation, to help others, the need is still there. In this case I leave it up to your judgment what you choose to do with these new developments. I am still reeling myself.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-25-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:36 PM

Default Star Power

Rick. My vote is for you. You've been through it all. You can sympathize with Kevin and yet maintain an objective opinion. Your expertise could not be impeached by the likes of any sly, manipulative tv journalists. Even said, we can't control what goes on the cutting room floor, but you could make it hard for them to get any derogatory info in which to apply the scissors to.

Frank
Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 PM

Default donation drive-ft lauderdale lofting

I second Frank, if anyone should go on TV as an ambassador for our sport , Rick you are the right choice , you know more than anyone about the backbone of kiteboarding, have been doing it long enough and are intelligent enough to use the interview to portray our sport in a favourable light.

Greg
Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 PM

I agree Rick. We need you as our voice. I had to poke fun of Kevin's interview. I'm sure if that happened to me I would be acting the same way. I'm glad he is alive and able to kite another day... I hope they do a follow up in 6 months when he has had time to heal and time to reflect on the whole ordeal.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM

I just read the short piece of interview Kevin gave from the beach in Miami from a link posted on Kiteforum. Seeing how quickly he is back out and about and ready to kite, I truly wonder what the real extent of his injuries were. Media presentation and other info that was provided on this site and others, led me to believe Kevin had spinal fractures and a fractured ankle. Interestingly, I have seen no crutches, no support brace (TSLO), nothing but a few bumps and scratches. I understand that he was put under an induced coma to keep him from combating physicians and staff due to his head injury, but the other injury claims appear invalid based on what I saw on GMA and the Inside Edition link from the other forum.
I know that I should be supportive of a fellow kiter, but I am finding it harder and harder to rationalize at this point. Sorry for the negativity, just a gut response.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Why do they induce comas and is it a fairly new thing? Is it to allow the body to better manage hematoma without the patient making things worse by being too active?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi