FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Is Kiting Certification Inevitable Or Desirable?

This question came up recently, this is what I responded with;

“I don’t believe kiteboarder certification is inevitable. However, continued loss of kiting access and public favour seem inevitable without kiteboarding reforms. Fair and effective mandatory kiteboarder certification might help. There is a great deal more that should be taught in effective kiting instruction than basics. Things like self rescue, weather planning, launch selection, emergency procedures, access preservation, etc. Mandatory ‘anything’ isn’t desirable, but the consequences of the lack of effective certification seem far less appealing.” —Rick Iossi, Florida Kiteboarding Association

This is what Todd Gréaux, Cabrinha USA had to say;

“In some areas where access is heavily restricted, this is inevitable and desirable; in others, it’s unnecessary red tape. Take Miami and Ft. Lauderdale for example. These are restricted riding areas with a large transient kiting population and lots of new people learning the sport (between 750 to 1,500 per year). Having the ‘rider license’ would ensure that the heavily restricted access isn’t accidentally barred because of the actions of a newbie, tourist, or worse yet, a self-righteous local. However, just by making it mandatory for all, we will lose some participation and increase the cost of riding by having to fund the infrastructure to administer such a program. Some riding spots are underdeveloped and are not in need of such a program; so there are definitely two sides to this issue.”

(sbckiteboard.com)

What do you think?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM

If you are talking about having better lessons to ensure that new riders are safe and self-sufficient for their own benefit, then I don't see a huge problem. Not sure who is going to oversee the lesson process to make sure instructors do a good job relaying the information to the student though. PASA and IKO haven't done the best job of ensuring their certified instructors go on to practice some basic standards while giving lessons, imo. Some instructors are good/great, some are bad, regardless of their certification.

If you are pondering whether further certification will decrease the likelihood of bans in areas; in a nutshell - there isn't a certification that will guarantee future actions, regardless of knowledge or understanding taught (and supposedly instilled).
Most bans and restrictions (imo) are due to a lack of consideration and common sense among riders towards others in the water and on the beach. Some of these riders are seasoned and understand how many of us feel about certain actions (which have zero do to with self-rescue).
I find it hard to believe that people think riding at mach 2 next to kids or jumping people is kosher, especially when several people tell them otherwise.
Given a written certification exam, some would "answer no" to the behavior, then go out and "practice yes". The sheet of paper they earned by passing some cert. would be meaningless.
Certs don't inhibit behaviors. Laws (with consequences) do.

If kiters are serious about not losing access, I am of the opinion that basic rules need to be put in place in areas that are agreed upon with local law enforcement, and then enforced by them. Then, those with enforcement power can ticket/ban/(whatever) individuals for improper behavior, while not banning us all. Just the same as one would ticket a poor driver and not shut down the freeway.
Easier said that done, but more effective, imo.

(Scott Fears)

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 09-30-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 AM

My opinion is that it should be like surfing, windsurfing, boating, etc...

If kiters are reckless, they get an individual ticket by the authorites that are paid by tax dollars to ensure the safety of the public.

So, no registration or license, just need to get the authorities to address the few problem makers directly with fines/jail time.

I would say don't even create new laws, just use reckless endangerment or something like that...