FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-13-2006, 11:46 AM
tomstock

CJ and SWS are also right about the pro line.. Q-Line pro sucks.

Q-Line is the bomb! How do they stay in business? One lineset lasts forever!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Believe it or not, I have NEVER broken a line (knock on wood) but ALL of my 4 line bars have Q line and all of my machine bars have SS FW.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:15 PM

I broke a line on my Best bar after only about 5 sessions. They are sending me a whole new set. We'll see how long they last.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:37 PM

Do the Q's stretch? How do I get a set of 27m's I have to SS bars and would like to put a set of the Q-lines on one of these bars.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:48 PM
tomstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson
Believe it or not, I have NEVER broken a line (knock on wood) but ALL of my 4 line bars have Q line and all of my machine bars have SS FW.
You havent even been up and jumping through a winter season of riding yet! LOL! Lines typically break during or after a jump.

Back when I was first learning to jump I got a line break (two lines) on video. These were fairly new (less than a season) best 27M lines. It was my poor landing which caused the line break...(slack in the lines). Q-Line would not have broken.

http://retroboxes.myvnc.com/T_Stock.wmv
Old 10-13-2006, 10:15 PM

Tom, all I saw was the kite moving a little before the break and I didn't see you in the air at all. Are you sure that the lines broke following a jump? Did you just edit the jump out because it was a rough landing?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:38 PM

yes Q-Line stretches, all kite lines stretch. The only line I have ever broken, broke after I snapped a bar. I broke the bar on an f-16. It was an 06 ss bar. Terrible self rescue as I was a good distance from anywhere to get out.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:56 PM
tomstock

Old 10-15-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock

Gordon missed the jump. I swung under the kite and it stalled and the lines went slack. I was trying to unhook as fast as I could (to prevent broken lines) but I was still fumbling for my quick release underwater when the kite yanked and POW broke two lines.
thats a good time to grab your leash, which is attached to your fifth line and pull in about 3-5 feet and your lines probably wouldnt have snapped, thats what i use to do, you just have to be quick and carefull with the fingers
Old 10-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Skyway Scott

While you guys (and Donna) are riding in 15 to 20, ENE at SW, I am posting about kite line :roll: (great.... Oh well...)
Hopefully you guys are rippin' it. It is blowing 3 here.

Q-line is cool, but Daryl found a couple "packaged" lines that out-do Qline, tho. Both in rated strength, and especially ease of use. Spending an hour measuring q line lengths can get old. I just remembered, I still have two personal spools, Tom.

Gone are the days of choosing b/n crappy white pre pack line and Q as your two choices. If you are thinking about replacing old lines, Ozone makes really nicely sleeved and color coded line sets of various lengths (and 4 or 5 line) at a rated strength of 800 pounds! That surpasses Q by 33%.

Flexifoil also makes insane stuff. One cool set they have has 5m extensions "built in" for ease of going from 20 to 25m lengths in about 2 minutes, should you desire. Rated strength, 660, oops, beats Q again (600). That line set with extensions is on all stock bars with new Flexi kites. All Ozone kites have as stock the 800 color coded stuff.

Tom, I agree, if your lines have give, it feels like your kite is on a rubber band. It decreases the ability of your kite to yank you off the water while jumping and it can severely decrease the kite's response time to inputs.

Never was that more obvious than a long time ago when Travis D. and I both had the same Wipika 11.8 Airblast. His had Q line on the lbar, I had stock "white" line. I thought his kite was SO much better than mine, when we traded kites. I was confused.
We then proceeded to switch bars, so that his bar and lines was with my kite. Now MY kite was much better than his, and HIS sucked.
Interesting.
I bought Q the next day, and yep, my kite was behaving like a totally different animal.

I know lines are better now than 5 years ago, but the above lines are really good.

Geez, you guys are kiting and I am typing about lines, this bites!