FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamike View Post
Doesn't look like you will be getting skunked this week, check out our forecast:

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=74098
unfortunately I won't be down there until the week of feb 23rd! I'll be staying on the opposite end of the Island from you guys for some of the time but if its blowing I will be riding on the east end. I'll get in touch with you guys before I leave, i'm coming with another kiter so its always nice to meet the locals.

Danny
Old 02-20-2009, 04:22 PM

Forecast looks good for next week:
http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/g...n_grand_cayman
I find that the forecast models underestimate the winds on the East End. We usually get 2-4 knots more than predicted.

Last week forecast was close to predicted as we had 6 days of 25+ knots, sometimes over 30 in the afternoon. The swell got massive and wrapped around the island giving side-off conditions on the outer reef.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 PM

You have no idea how happy you just made me!!! Plane touches down around 4:30pm monday. When is the best time of the day to hit it?

Do you want to get up and ride with us while we are in town?? PM me your number or you can give me a shout if interested, 407-902-8484

Danny
Old 02-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Danny,

Have you been to Grand Cayman kiting before? It is a far cry from Florida in terms of accessibility to some wind directions. For instance the majority of the shoreline of the island isn't suitable for shoreside launch for NE winds (forecast currently). The more populated western end including Seven Mile Beach, Georgetown plus all the south coast have offshore winds in NE conditions. Cayman is the last place I would head out in offshore winds, it's an island after all in the middle of nowhere. There is lots of iron shore or massive exposed rock outcrops along substantial sections of coast as well. Portions of the East End work but there is limited shoreside access. If you want to ride waves, you should have a boat off the east end given the distance the barrier reef is from shore. Mike knows where to go for certain winds and he has a boat to take you there. Shallow sand bars with no waves to a quick trip outside for some nice swells like he has in his photos. There is a ton of outstanding riding area inside and out of the barrier reef but you need to know where to go and be able to get there. You could take a day with him on sea taxi, learn the ropes of the island and opt to continue in the prime spots or move out on your own conditions willing as you're a well experienced kiter.

Here's something else to think about. The first two times I was on GC, there was no kite shop, school, nothing. The first time I was there, there was perfect conditions about a 1/4 mile from his current location, stronger than at the west end of GC. There was no gear to use, even a board to rent, just windsurfing. If you wanted to ride you had to bring all your own stuff or blow off kiting. Cayman has a lot to offer beyond kiting, so there might be dive gear, scooters, UW camera gear, etc. vying for luggage space. Mike made a commitment to open up Grand Cayman to kiting with the first commercial operation there that I know of. That means permits, paying to ship a boat down there as deck cargo, finding digs, forming business relationships and a ton more. We're lucky to have him there and hopefully he'll be able to stay there if we support his operation along with all the students, SUP and other enthusiasts throughout the year. Cayman is a great destination in so many ways, not the least of which is kiting. Until now, there's been zero support anywhere on the island. It would be great to know the next time you head down there there will be a place to get gear, spares, instruction, even rent a board, a boat to the sand bars or the waves. As they say, we should show him some "love." That's my advice anyway. Take care of those that take care of us.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-21-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks Rick

Danimal: The wind blows all day, there are only minor thermal effects in certain area. So it may be good as soon as you get off the plane. It can be windy all day, so you can plan on riding in the morning and the afternoon.

Rick is right, some of the launches are tight, but the water is wide open. So with a little local knowledge you can find the ideal beach for the wind that will let you access some of the best riding. The main W launch is Barkers on a E/NE wind, which has a small beach, but a huge sandbar really close. I recommend walking out into the water a fair ways before launching, riding or landing. It is shallow enough that your launcher can help you get away from the beach without getting wet.

Personally, I like the E end of the island. More launching and riding options in different winds. If is it onshore in one spot, then a better spot is probably less than a mile away. Plus East End picks up more wind directions and can be a little stronger and more consistent.

You can call the shop from 7am-6pm at (345) 947-7500, or try my direct line at (345)925-8129, if I dont answer it is cause I am on the water. I would be happy to help in any way.

Regarding advanced rider services, we do gear rental, water taxi to the sandbars and advanced lessons to anybody riding upwind. Of course, we do beginners and intermediates too. Long downwinders in the protected sound with full boat support.

gotta run... it is blowing 22knots, it is 78 degrees and sunny. See you soon!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:33 PM

Default Back from my trip

Just got back from Grand Cayman and what a blast I had. From the moment I stepped off the plane Monday the 23rd until the day before I left we had wind over 20kts all day.

I rode tuesday at Morritts Grand resort for a while so that the other people on the trip had something to do i.e. rent jet skis, drink at the bar and lay by the pool while i rode for 4 hours.

Popped in on a lesson that Mike was giving to say hi. Unfortunately that was the only contact I had with him while I was down there.

The other days were spent diving, partying at their annual Mardi Gras celebration at Kaibo, Stingray city and then the plane ride home.

I rode a second day at Barkers National Park which I believe is located at the north tip of West Bay????

So to sum it up it was a great trip, 2 days kiting, 2 days diving, 2 days of hanging out with my friends that live on the island and now its back to the grind!

I def. recommend this trip to anyone.

Tags
caribbean, cayman, kiteboard, kiteboarding, lessons