FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-01-2008, 10:48 PM

Default Visiting Ft Lauderdale from North West

I will be in Pompano Beach and Fort Lauderdale for 10 days (starting December 8th) and I am bringing my gear. I am a beginner (but I am riding up wind). All my experiences were at the Gorge, so I never have been kiting in the ocean before. I researched a little bit about kiting at Pompano Beach. But I still would appreciate any input from any of you. If there is wind, should I just go to 16th street? Well, I am hoping to avoid renting a car and just try to use a bus. Can I count on finding skateboarders even during the week if there is wind? If some of you are regular there at Pompano, I would appreciate if I can connect with you. If you feel comfortable giving me your number that I can call you when I am in Florida and ask for the wind forecast and may be carpool if there is no wind in Ft Lauderdale and you will be traveling to other locations. If any of you are planning on going to flat waters in Key or Miami, I would really appreciate if I can join you (I will share the gas).

I also wanted to ask if there is any idea what the wind would look like next week? What I mean is I have 13m, 9m, and 7m and I am not sure if I should bring all three kites (I am 125 pounds). Many thanks in advance for any of your suggestions.

(503)4907888
Tatiana
Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Tatiana,

I hope you have a good visit to SE Florida. It is good you are staying up wind which is really necessary skill at both designated launches in Pompano and Ft. Lauderdale. The only place open to kiting currently in Pompano is NE 16 St., so I would head down there.

Info about the Pompano rules appears at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7211

and about Ft. Lauderdale at:
http://www.kitesurfusa.com/ftlaudksurfzone.jpg
(this is just a diagram of the launch, ask for info from the staff at Tiki Beach for specifics while you are there before setting up)

It is hard to say with any accuracy what things will be like a week off. I know some sites throw out forecasts but the level of uncertainty is quite high. The good news is that regular cold fronts are coming through currently so the odds are for some good wind during a ten day stay. Also, at 125 lbs. you can do a lot at the low end that heavier folks can't manage. If you can carry all three kites it would be best. At the same time, you might be able to get away carrying two kites down depending on overlap and your wind range with them. What would you guess your wind ranges are with the 13 and 7 m kites?

For realtime wind and weather forecast info for the area, checkout:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

Hey Guys, anyone down in the Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano areas that could help Tatiana out with carpooling?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-02-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for responding. You have a lot of voluble information which is well organized and well presented for anyone who is visiting Florida.

Yes, I think I just go to the site in Pompano and figure things out as I go. I see that due to previous complaints kiteboarders are careful about not creating any disturbances at the beach. It is good to know that we visitors don’t make a bad reputation for local kiters. In NW we usually don’t have to deal with people at the beach. Our rivers and ocean are too cold for “hanging out” – so not too many beach goers. We have a different issue. The sport exploded in the last two years and there are too many of us who are beginners. So beginners and experienced kiters have to find ways of kiting together in a limited space.

In terms of the wind range for my kites. I like to ride overpowered (probably it is due to lack of technique). I have been on my 7m in gust up to 35 miles/hr (or may be even more, our winds are not very stable for most of the time, so we go from being overpowered to almost nothing at times). I don’t like to ride 5m even when the wind is very strong – 5m is rather temperamental. With 13m I have been anywhere from 11miles/hr to probably 20-22. I am not very sure about the upper range (it might be less or may be more), because sometime I start when the wind is very light and then in a couple of hours the wind picks up, but I am too lazy to rig up a smaller kite, so I usually just keep riding overpowered.

Rick, I am assuming you are in Keys. If the conditions are too challenging in Pompano, I would probably try other places. I am not sure if I will make it to Keys, if I do, I will look for you. Thank you for being so welcoming.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

If you think a combination of your 7 to 13 will cover you with a reasonable overlap, I would bring those. If throwing in the 9 m wouldn't be an excessive hardship you might be well served by bringing that along as well. If it isn't honking strong your 9 m might get a lot of use. Winds may be less than 10 mph, to 10 to 15 perhaps even 15 to 25 mph. Powerful fronts bringing winds above that are rare outside of the new year. Still, strange weather can come along.

I am located north of Pompano in Palm Beach Cty and not in the Keys. If you can fit a trip in down there I highly recommend it as it has a lot to offer to the traveling kiter.

Heading down to the launches should allow you to meet other kiters in short order and perhaps make connections for road trips. Neil and the guys in Ft. Lauderdale should fill you in on details as should the guys at 16th St.

Have fun!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi