FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-08-2006, 12:49 PM

Default New to sport and need kite help

I just started lessons. I am looking to purchase 2 kites. I Weight 190 lbs and plan on kiting st. pete and Sebastian. Not sure what sizes or what kite to go with. I have been looking at the best waroo. Possibly a 12 and 16 or maybee 9 and 16. Any help on what kite and sizes to buy? If anyone can tell me if they have a waroo and like it or not. Thanks John
Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 PM

i just got a 9m, have not flown mine yet, but ive flown others, i havent really heard to many negatives about them, they are awsome kites for a great price
Old 08-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Can't Re-member

For a two kite quiver I would reccommend a 16m and a 9m,
I'm also 200# and that is a range that completely covers me

besides waroo you could also look at the 9m Crossbow, its also a great kite.

And I have a brand new one I bought less than a month ago on ebay right now for ( $549 ) that is $50 less than the same size waroo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cabrinha-Crossbo...QQcmdZViewItem

The waroo bar is $229 and I bet you can find a cebrinha bar to go with this kite for $75 less so you save over 100 smackers
Old 08-08-2006, 01:49 PM

i'd get a 16 and 9, and definitly look at the crossbows, and switchblades, very nice kites.

very stable kites.

i've noticed the waroos are very unstable and flutter alot, and are more prone to inverting
Old 08-08-2006, 03:00 PM

Big R I checked out your kite on ebay. What is the reason you are selling it? Also how often do you guys use the 9m vs. 16m. Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Can't Re-member

JOHN

i WOULD SAY that a 16m XBow would get used 80% of the time during MAY to October ( if there was even any wind ) and then a 9m XBow would get used 50% of the time from November to April . if you could afford a third kite the a 12m Xbow would get used 10% during summer and 30% during winter ( split equally among all 3 kites , maybe favoring the smaller sizes )

reason the 9m is bieng sold is because I only needed it for a vacation in the Gorge in July and now already have the 2007's so I won't use the 9m anymore
Old 08-09-2006, 06:52 AM

18m, 12m, 9m
get a 12m first...this is the favorite size of most kiters
the waroo is an awsome kite.
in fact...all kites rock.
honest.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Skyway Scott

John,

Please don't overlook the importance of the board. In my opinion, its more important than the kite, especially for a begginer. You are a moderately big guy (compared to me, anyway).
I would consider not getting anything smaller than a 140 by 42 to start with. (May be even a little bigger, like something 44cms wide). It will speed your learning curve drastically and we ALWAYS need light wind boards in FL.

I honestly believe at your size that a 12 or 14m Contra coupled with a board like a Glide and also something like a 137 by 40-41 could cover 10 to 23 knots.

I have been using the 12m Contra in 10 to 22 with no problem with the use of a Glide and another board.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:07 AM

My vote is also on that the board should be a new riders concern over the brand of kite.

Being a new rider myself with no board skills, I struggled with getting up and riding long after learning to control the kite. I was on a SS147 Jarvis which is a good beginner board for most riders. After using Chris M. Underground FLX152, not only was I riding better but I immediatly went upwind.

Later that same day I again switched to my 147 Jarvis and could not go up wind...of course always using the same kite.

I bought that Underground FLX152 the next day and use it almost exclusivley as my prefered board.

Stats:
215 lbs 5"11
SS 17M Fuel

Big G. (
Old 08-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Skyway Scott

Nice Gary (I am still a UG pimp, btw... 8))