FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Thumbs up Key West Kiter....?

Went to Key West this past weekend and wanted to post this pic of someone I saw kiting North of FKCC (Florida Keys Community College). We were checking out the different sculptures (specifically the floating heads) around the island for the Sculptor Key West Exhibit and saw a kiter riding. I'm also curious where the rider launched from? It was a N,NW day and I wanted to kite, but had no boat or idea where he was able to launch from. Any info would be much appreciated.

Enjoy the photo.

Fritz
Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Default key west kiter

the kiter near fkcc looks like Evaldez (Elvis) ,he proboably launched from a house on key haven,We went out later and launched from a boat in on the far side of the lagoon by publix,about a 1/4 of a mile from where he was riding. A boat launch is the only really safe way to ride there as you can anchor +- 1/2 a mile offshore wich keeps you far enough from the highway.
Years ago we used to jump the wall by the highway , then swim the channel and then walk out a few hundred feet and water launch,but its too much hassle most times.

Regards Greg
Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Greg,

You left out that you did this in front of the Sheriff's office, crossing two busy lanes of Roosevelt and dropped down a seawall while flying a kite. How were the oysters? At least that I what I remember hearing from Paul before he found mm 18.5 (gone but not forgotten). Those were the days?! You guys are core.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 PM

Default key west kiter

Hello Ricki, no ,we always pumped our kites up and connected our lines, then we would re wrap our lines and hold our kites while crossing the road and water launch.
When we used to launch in front of the college at the " sherrifs" public works office we would launch in the tared parking lot and have to climb down a little embankment between mangroves,but no one ever crossed the roads with their kites in the air to my knowledge, unless it was someone from out of town and did not know how we used to launch in those areas.

Greg
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Ah, an urban myth bites the dust. I've been visualizing Paul doing that for years too. Just as well.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 AM

So that was you standing next to the sea wall Greg? Our next sculpture stop was the Lockness and I was going to stop and ask how you launch there. Thats the only conclusion that I could come up with, launching next to that busy street. I visit there often and hate it when its N, NW. Ill have to meet up with you guys next time.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Default key west kiter

no, it was not us at the seawall,we launched from my boat on the far side of the lagoon,wich gave us about approx 700 to 1000 ft as a buffer zone from the road.

Greg.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg meintjes View Post
no, it was not us at the seawall,we launched from my boat on the far side of the lagoon,wich gave us about approx 700 to 1000 ft as a buffer zone from the road.

Greg.
I saw a guy walking around the sea wall right at the very end across from the hotel with a blue Best board about a month ago.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Default key west kiter

The guy with the Best board is Klaus,he has been kiting with us in Key West since 2000 and is aware of the launch conditions along the seawall.

Greg
Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM

hey guys, I just wanted to chime in, I am coming to key west the last weekend of march. Without a boat what winds directions can I ride and what are the best places to launch besides smathers?

additionally are there people who take boats out to launch in different areas around key west that I can pay for a ride, and how much??

Any help is appreciated!

Danny