FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Default Adventure in the Berry Islands.... GHC is the place to be! Pic heavy!

While I'm normally a Bimini guy (and still am), I like to get off the beaten path from time to time. I've been to many, many of the out islands of the Bahamas including the Abacos, Eleuthera, Bimini, Cat Island, Mores, and many more. I'd guess that I spend my time pretty evenly split between fishing, kiting, spearing, and exploring. Having traveled the Bahamas often, I find myself becoming more enamored with the Berry Islands, most notably Great Harbour Cay every time I go. I believe that it is truly the closest, "real" out island to my home port of Miami. What it misses in waves, it makes up for in feel and its proximity to Miami.

The photos below are compiled from 2 separate trips to GHC. During a summer spear and tuna trip aboard Sleepwalker, we made our way south toward Hoffman's and Ambergris Cays. At that point, I knew that I would have to visit this area during the windy season and down wind from GHC to Ambergris on my kite. As luck would have it, plans came together over New Years and my friends and I were able to make the hop over on a cool little Cherokee Six. Although the tide was much lower than I would have liked and the wind was a touch too much to the left, the ride was amazing!

I hope that you enjoy the pics. If you are ever looking for something new, take a bet on GHC. You won't be disappointed! Enjoy!!!

A kite mounted Go Pro shot of the small dotted islands and clear blue channels just south of Ambergris Cay

The famous Blue hole at Hoffman's Cay. It's about a 20 ft. dive from the top into the hole. Summer relaxing at its finest!

We had poor visibility during our first trip due to a previous storm, but we still managed to pick up a few nice fish and bugs

The South exit from Hoffman's going East to the deep water was amazing. We could have spent our entire time in this area

We had a killer pad in the Marina. Very unique and quite comfortable

Had the tide been higher and the winds more from the East, riding in the middle flats would have been a treat... it wasn't bad in any case!

One our initial scouting trip, we just knew that the waters around Ambergris needed to be shredded!

Ambergris Cay... asking for attention...

Picking our way through shallow water and endless flats in route to the promised land

During our Sleepwalker exploratory trip, we had nice thigh high's staking up in a small cut. Surfing by the boat and snagging beers was awesome!

Victory at GHC. Anywhere else, these would be trophies, but at GHC they are "also rans"... the fish I mean! Paula is still a trophy!

GHC tarmac dressing room. The beach to launch the kites is only 200 yards to the East!

Sleepwalker and crew cruising the Bahama Bank in route to GHC!

If I lived here, I'd be spending plenty of time in the "Garage" just down the stairs!

Tools of the trade! Cabrinha Switchblade - CHECK! Adventure Sports sun protection - CHECK! Ready for take off!

High hopes for the Sleepwalker crew. The endless search for untouched waters...

Da Spot... or at least one of the spots! I'll be back!

Very friendly customs folks and an easy entry! Rare in some more traditional Bahamian venues. GHC gets an A+++

Paula and her weapon of choice.

The launch zone just minutes from GHC airport. Beginning point of the down wind ride to paradise!

One of several unique cuts the begged to be kited on our way South. During our Sleepwalker trip, the current was ripping out
against a small swell coming in from the East. Nice thigh high waves were the reward. Nicely, the small waves were nearly unnoticeable
when spearing in deeper waters to the East.

Sleepwalker ready for the next out island adventure... are you?

Kent Marinkovic

Adventure Sports
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/adventuresportsmiami?fref=ts
Pryde Group

Last edited by kent; 12-05-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Great images and some really fun trips, thanks for posting Kent! I was looking on Google Earth and Ambergris is just next door
to the south, real close by to GHC. Did you see many sharks in the shallow cuts while you were kiting? I only saw one when I
was last there and yet I would think they would be fairly common in and around the cays.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi