FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Boynton Beach Ride

8) Me and Buddy are headed out to Hammock park today at 5:30 to ride a bit, Winds are looking good today. I am riding my 17m Blue Element, and my buddy is taking out his 14m Yellow Nitro. If anyone else is out there today say hi. We are both new too the sport and looking to meet people to ride with with. I will post how it went tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Boynton Beach Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru
8) Me and Buddy are headed out to Hammock park today at 5:30 to ride a bit, Winds are looking good today. I am riding my 17m Blue Element, and my buddy is taking out his 14m Yellow Nitro. If anyone else is out there today say hi. We are both new too the sport and looking to meet people to ride with with. I will post how it went tomorrow.
Hope it was a good one. Let us know how it went, I bet the waves will be nice.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-14-2006, 03:19 PM

:? Complete flop, wind died and the waves were crashing on shore making starting for a begginer like me very hard, especially in a dead east wind. Commercial looks like it might get some good evening winds so we are going to give it a shot there today, just north of the pier.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru
:? Complete flop, wind died and the waves were crashing on shore making starting for a begginer like me very hard, especially in a dead east wind. Commercial looks like it might get some good evening winds so we are going to give it a shot there today, just north of the pier.
From Boynton to Ft Lauderdale~ He's got the fever for the flavor :wink:
Chase that wind young man 8) So how was it?

BE CARFUL with DEAD onshore wind !

Even experienced riders have "wicked" situations w/onshore wind, Being a beginner only complicates things that much worse.

There are too many good days ahead
Old 07-14-2006, 08:41 PM

:shock: Yeah it was dead onshore and low tide ment the distance from shore to sandbar was not very good to get started, Got some flying practice in On little ride in but it was just too east. As far as safety I always keep my element on launch in real on shore conditions, That save y buddy once from being draged into the beach hard. Tap it is a great system. I shall chase the wind, We are looking at making a ride down to bahia honda state park tomorrow I found that to be a great park to learn on plus East there is sideshore so we may get in a good run. Gonna check weather tomorrow but Iwindsurf looks promising anyone have any thoughts
Old 07-31-2006, 08:59 AM

[quote="BizGuru I shall chase the wind, We are looking at making a ride down to bahia honda state park tomorrow I found that to be a great park to learn on plus East there is sideshore so we may get in a good run.[/quote]

If you get a chance, fill me in on the Bahia Honda situation. A buddy of mine and I are looking to due some camping/kiting/fishing there this winter (when the wind blows EVERYDAY)
Old 07-31-2006, 10:11 AM

Bahia Honda is the best park in the Keys that I have been too. Kite surfing is allowed and you can get campsites right on the water where you can even launch and start cruising around the beautiful park. I just wish it was closer. I plan to spend a few days down there once the wind picks up. Let me know if you have plans to head down there always looking to meet people who are into the sport to ride with. I am still very much a beginner and I have not been able to progress much the past 2 month due to no wind, once it picks up I will be around every weekend somewhere in Florida Kiting. I am recieving my contra 23.5m on wensday so I will get some practice in at 12mph plus. Look forward to seeing you out on the water. 8)
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Rideable winds can be rare this time of year in Florida. If you are just starting out, I would say to avoid dead onshore winds. Even without waves it can make getting much done and avoiding injury fairly hard to do. Waves just make things harder. Even for experienced guys, onshore winds are associated with a lot of injuries.

There were some problems in Lauderdale By-the-Sea last year. The Township and Sheriffs Department came very close to either banning kiting entirely or requiring kiters to avoid the pier area and to stay at least 100 ft. away from bystanders with a kite up. A very few local riders created repeated complaints and forced the issue with the Township. So, keep well away from bystanders. More about one of the issues at:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=347

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 AM

I always respect bystanders at that beach. Most of the time I ride it is after work when the beach is almost empty on weekdays. I have givin up on dead onshore for the time being, to difficult to edge out for me right now. This east wind has been driving me down to bahia honda where an east wind is sideshore. That makes for some fun riding. I am a big buy 270lb so the light winds make it even harder. I got a 23.5 2005 contra which might help.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yow, 270 lbs. in the light winds this time of year will be a challenge. Best advice bide your time until useable sideshore winds come along and go for it. You should also try to get a larger board to help you out as well. I am not sure what the largest Best Float board is but you might look into that. I picked up a 135 cm Float a while back and have found that it out performs my large directionals that have been light wind solutions in years past. I am only 192 lbs. though.

Once the wind gets into the lower 20 mph range and above the weight advantage will shift to you once you are on your game in kiting. That is something to look forward to.