FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default August winds

Did anyone get out yesterday? I looked at the NWS forecast trend for several days forward and left my gear at home. I ended up picking it up before heading out for a late, cruising session last night in the sideshore thermals. No squalls in sight either. I understand we may have more of the same later on today.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yow, two days in a row and there may be a third tomorrow. The forecast has been poor for the last two days and it is about the same although the wind is to shift to the SW 5 to 10 kts. Still, thermal winds have been coming up the last two days and a slight SW base breeze may not make much difference. At least not until around sunset.

I was on a Contra 14 m boosting and everything. It came on around 5 pm yesterday and 6 pm tonight. So, if it comes tomorrow and maybe even Sunday it might be late.

Fingers crossed.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-12-2006, 08:29 AM

how was it with the contra 14...i know its described as a light wind kite....i dont see many other manufactures saying they have a "light wind kite"....im new to kite boarding, have only taken one lesson and from looking around on the web i like the Contra...im based in Miami so i want a kite i can use as much as possible....how much wind do you need to make it worth going out....

how much do you weigh...im at 150...6ft...

Also this winter will be going to Cartagena colombia...from what i have heard the wind is 20knots...will a 14 conta be to big?

thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
Yow, two days in a row and there may be a third tomorrow. Thermal winds have been coming up the last two days

Fingers crossed.

I wasn't able to catch it Thur & Fri

But I caught it tonight and it was F-U-N !

I'd have to say it was as close to flat water and ridable as we get around here. SSE 13-14kts from 7pm till Dark and I caught all of it that I could.

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed Rick :wink: Hope you were able to get in your 3rd (jealous) evening session.

Downwinder tommorow?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I had a company thing this early this morning, did some free diving on the third reef thinking I would hit the kite at around 6 pm. I almost went out but the wind seemed to be fading, so I whimped out! I sure do hope the thermal winds come through again tomorrow. The conditions seem to be pretty similar to the last several days. Fingers crossed again! A downwinder is a great idea for the winds particularly if they turn out to be on the lighter side. Do you think you'll be out later on if the winds come up around 5 or 6 pm again?

Have fun!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-13-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Did some free diving on the third reef thinking I would hit the kite at around 6 pm.
Well that's why I wasn't out yesterday, We went out for some Wakesurfing, Snorkeling and Fishing at around 2pm. Watched the wind kick up while we were fishing. Either way it was a Beautiful South Florida evening .

Snorkel'd the shallow reef just outside of Gulfstream looking for a nibby crawl after those 2days of swell we had. But nothing this time~ Oh well

When I hit the beach at 7 this evening ~ I almost blew it off also. SURE glad I didn't

Quote:
Do you think you'll be out later on if the winds come up around 5 or 6 pm again?
I'll probally be there around 6:30 or a little later, Hope the winds show up again.
A buddy of mine also wanted to do a downwinder~ Perhaps we could set it up w/one car in Delray, one in Boynton and one in LW. that way we won't get stuck if it peters out .
Old 08-13-2006, 07:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Quote:
Did some free diving on the third reef thinking I would hit the kite at around 6 pm.
Well that's why I wasn't out yesterday, We went out for some Wakesurfing, Snorkeling and Fishing at around 2pm. Watched the wind kick up while we were fishing. Either way it was a Beautiful South Florida evening .

Snorkel'd the shallow reef just outside of Gulfstream looking for a nibby crawl after those 2days of swell we had. But nothing this time~ Oh well

When I hit the beach at 7 this evening ~ I almost blew it off also. SURE glad I didn't

Quote:
Do you think you'll be out later on if the winds come up around 5 or 6 pm again?
I'll probally be there around 6:30 or a little later, Hope the winds show up again.
A buddy of mine also wanted to do a downwinder~ Perhaps we could set it up w/one car in Delray, one in Boynton and one in LW. that way we won't get stuck if it peters out .
Makes sense, that was what I was thinking, although the LW car is a good idea. I will give you a call to verify things and to workout pickups. It looks good for a repeat right now, sunny and clear but unfortunately, they have bumped the rain up the risk of rain in the forecast. Looking at the Sat. loop it looks like some rain from a cold front may be getting pulled SW over us later on. I hope it comes to nothing and the thermals cook off again.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-13-2006, 09:33 AM

All righty then :wink:

I just spoke with my buddy and filled him in on the plan. I figured we'll park my truck in LW, His car @ Boynton and your vehicle in Delray.

Looking back at lastnights conditions @ LW:

08 12 8:00 pm S 13 14 kts - - - - 29.93 -0.01 85.3 86.9
08 12 7:00 pm SSE 13 14 kts- - - - 29.92 -0.03 85.3 87.1
08 12 6:00 pm SSE 11 13 kts- - - - 29.92 -0.03 85.6 87.8
08 12 5:00 pm SE 9 10 kts

It seems as though it started to come on @ 6:00. So if it does the same ~fingerscrossed~ again today. I'll start putting the pieces of the puzzle together as eairly as possible, So were able to enjoy as much time as possible on the water.

Talk to you this afternoon ~Thumbsup~
Old 08-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

It seems hot enough and even though the wind is WSW the thermals may setup close to the coast with sideshore winds. It seems more likely that they will setup from the S but it is possible that they could come from the N with the primary westerly wind. We should have it covered either way.

NWS is even saying something about a seabreeze which doesn't happen all of the time:

THIS AFTERNOON
SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING ONSHORE
NEAR THE COAST. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS SMOOTH TO A LIGHT CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

So, unless the cloud cover messes up the heating of the land and/or afternoon storms play with the pattern we should be good for around 6 pm.

NOTE: for folks just starting to checkout thermal winds, be careful. The thermal gradient the creates the winds will diminish in time. The stuff creating the sideshore winds will eventually end and the prevailing winds will take over again. In this case that means offshore, WSE to W. So, be sensitive to the time, wind speed and relative direction. Usually the transition takes minutes perhaps a bit longer at times and can occur before (an hour or more at times) although more often at or after sunset. You don't want to be stuck swimming in and perhaps lose a board.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48
how was it with the contra 14...i know its described as a light wind kite....i dont see many other manufactures saying they have a "light wind kite"....im new to kite boarding, have only taken one lesson and from looking around on the web i like the Contra...im based in Miami so i want a kite i can use as much as possible....how much wind do you need to make it worth going out....

how much do you weigh...im at 150...6ft...

Also this winter will be going to Cartagena colombia...from what i have heard the wind is 20knots...will a 14 conta be to big?

thanks
I would get quite a few lessons in before worrying about what kiteS to buy. That is kites plural, you will want at least two if they are bow kites and likely three and perhaps even four if they are C kites ONCE you have moved further along the learning curve. I would not plan on using the same kite for 20 kts. plus in Colombia and for light wind in Florida, particularly while you are learning. With technique, exertion, changing board sizes, etc., basically experience you can milk more range out of a given kite. Still it is usually best, (easier and safer) to use the kite size best suited for actual winds.

Other manufacturers have light wind designated C kites but the Contra may be the first designated bow kite. I weigh quite a bit more than you at 190 lbs. That usually equates to about a kite size, perhaps more particularly while you are learning.

Supposedly, the Contra doesn't like winds much above 18 kts all that much compared to the Switchblades. You can go higher than 18 kts. with it in the fashon of bow kites, your jumping efficiency may drop off is all. It is intended to excel in lightwinds. I have heard some contrary opinions on this by the way. One guy said he nailed his highest jump to date on a Contra 12 m. For jumping, still down the road for you at this point, the Switchblades go off in 20 kts. delivering impressive jump performance, a 12 m in my case. Perhaps a Contra 12 m and Switchblade 9 m? I would try to demo various kites you are interested in before buying. Repeating, I would get more quality instruction before focusing on what you need to buy. It is premature in my opinion as is perhaps my focusing on jumping characteristics.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi