FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Broward County Flat Water?

I am looking for a place to ride this weekend and I am going to be near my home (Coral Springs) this weekend. I wanted to know if anyone know about riding the area directly south of the Hillsboro inlet. There is a clam water area that forms there depending on tide and current and I thought it might be a nice area to ride. Although it may require a bit of a hike up the beach. Also let me know if anyone knows of any other newbie friendly calmer water areas to ride this weekend close to broward or south palm beach.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Broward County really doesn't have any good flat or sheltered water areas. Biscayne Bay and the Miami Flats are your closest and best prospects for that.

The area shown (NE 16 St., Pompano), is a long time windsurfing launch and a regulated kiting area. There is a designated, buoyed launch corridor that riders are supposed to use to get beyond the swim buoys. We need to stay beyond the swim buoys until time to come in. There is a sign there listing the kiting rules.

The bar can get pretty shallow at low tide and there is all the boat traffic outside. We have had some banning issues here for sometime. It can be a bit calmer in side the bar and in the lee of the northern jetty but it can still be choppy. It isn't a great spot for nearshore downwinders given the past problems and current regs at the place. I would wait until and if the wind stays below 20 kts. this weekend. The forecast says it should do this a couple of times. 20 to 25 kts. plus isn't a great set of training conditions.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-02-2006, 04:07 PM
ruffridah89

yea man
come down south over here.
Talk about great winds this weekend
Either Cradon Beach or Matheson for newbies!
later,
Danny
Old 11-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000
yea man
come down south over here.
Talk about great winds this weekend
Either Cradon Beach or Matheson for newbies!
later,
Danny
NOT CRANDON. Remember PASA or IKO Level III Certification required? I would really like to avoid more pleading for maintained or restored access there. Please help!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-02-2006, 07:13 PM
ruffridah89

I was guessing he obtained an IKO 3
Old 11-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000
I was guessing he obtained an IKO 3
I may have read more into it than I perhaps should have. Newbies might have level III certification after all. Too much coffee probably!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 AM

dont come to crandon or matheosn kiwiar2000 who are you?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
dont come to crandon or matheosn kiwiar2000 who are you?
Thats kinda mean now :shock: , Let's all play nice and share are spots

Anyways, I will not be done there yet, I am on the edge of IKO and looking to get my board skills and upwind ability solid this weekend so I cang et an IKO cer level 3 very soon then head down to those areas.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:17 AM
ruffridah89

Bizguru,
keep it up. Sooner or later you'll obtain your IKO3in to time- ITs all about practice, practice, and practice.
One thing that helped me when I was a newbie, Like BIGIAN, is that I had a couple of my buds film me. It worked great.
The winds are hauling ass this weekend. Gud luck!
Big Ian, I dont think I know you. Keep it that way.
-Danny
Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 PM

okay let me rephrase this for everyone in a more politicaly correct manner. Check with the locals where you ride. First of all if you are even unsure if you can ride properly get a lesson. Dont just show up and ride with out questions. Second of all respect the locals, they do way more work than you think, to keep spots open and running. In short, I do not want to see someone get hurt on my watch while I am riding and close my training spots. With that being said I know we all start somewhere but there are respectful beginers to the hiearchy of a spot. They ask where the appropriate and safe place is to ride. So pay attention where you go. I guarantee we are keeping an eye on you and watching you. YES everyone started somewhere and they are entitled to learn and have a place to do so, but educate yourself.

As for danny, I am not sure empty threats online are an appropriate way to go about things.

- Ian