FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Talking new in Miami

hi my name is NINO im moving to FL exactly to the Aventura aerea and i have been doing kite for few years, trying to find a great spot close, windy and good for freestyle :mrgreen: i have check in da webs but i prefer to talk to locals that way i know the real deal and the locals rules and if a new rider is welcome.. im planing to arrive there in december can anyone help me to understand the wind seasons there and all the necesary info like how cold is the water and kite size or wind speed in every season.
thanks i really apreciate any help
Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
hi my name is NINO im moving to FL exactly to the Aventura aerea and i have been doing kite for few years, trying to find a great spot close, windy and good for freestyle :mrgreen: i have check in da webs but i prefer to talk to locals that way i know the real deal and the locals rules and if a new rider is welcome.. im planing to arrive there in december can anyone help me to understand the wind seasons there and all the necesary info like how cold is the water and kite size or wind speed in every season.
thanks i really apreciate any help
Hello Nino,

How much do you weigh? You are arriving in our wind season which is a good thing. The wind is not constant but largely comes with regular cold fronts. The wind direction changes regularly as it rotates clockwise with the passage of fronts. For most shore launches in the area you want winds from the N to E to S. On the Miami Flats, accessible by boat, you can ride wind from any direction. Aside from the Flats, most shoreside launches can be crowded and have access issues in heavily populated Miami-Dade County.

More about area launches, weather, some precautions in posts throughout the section and in:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2278
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2329

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-09-2007, 09:17 PM

Default ........

normaly im riding my 9m in 20-30 knots i weith 70k or 150 pounds.
about the miami flats, is a good spot for freestyle (with space between kites) or is normaly crowded. if is a good spot you told me is accesible by boat what if i dont have any boat hahaha or is kinda club or kiteschool that i can pay to get there?.. really im having touble with school now so maibe ill be miami for few days in december cuz i have to come back home to fix my school stuffbut i wanna place to ride easy and nice no much trouble.. were do u normaly ride? i have my IKO student card if i need it even the kiteboarding couch assistand certificate so thats not a problem, i ask cuz i have been in places that u cant ride without the IKO card.
weel thanks again for all the help
i really apreciate it
Old 10-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
normaly im riding my 9m in 20-30 knots i weith 70k or 150 pounds.
about the miami flats, is a good spot for freestyle (with space between kites) or is normaly crowded. if is a good spot you told me is accesible by boat what if i dont have any boat hahaha or is kinda club or kiteschool that i can pay to get there?.. really im having touble with school now so maibe ill be miami for few days in december cuz i have to come back home to fix my school stuffbut i wanna place to ride easy and nice no much trouble.. were do u normaly ride? i have my IKO student card if i need it even the kiteboarding couch assistand certificate so thats not a problem, i ask cuz i have been in places that u cant ride without the IKO card.
weel thanks again for all the help
i really apreciate it
I would guess you will spend most of our time on 9 and 12 m kites during the winter. There may be times, rarely in past years, when a 9 m isn't small enough.

The Flats are about 200 square miles in area and as long as people don't do the "kittens in the basket" routine piling on one another, crowding should not be a problem! Far from it, it is the most uncrowded place in the county.

Some outfits run seataxi services out there, some of the links appear below:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3519
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=1263

There may be others but make sure they go at least as far south as Stitsville. Speaking of which, here is an interesting post:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=658

Amazing, the entire world thinks you need certification cards to ride in various beaches in Florida. There is only ONE launch, about 300 ft. long out of the 1350 mile coast of Florida, Crandon Park, where certifications were once required and may be required again IF access is restored.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi