FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-07-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Clearwater Beach Nov 7th-17th

Hi everybody, I wondered if someone could give me some information about kiting in the area around Clearwater beach, under FAQ I was not able to find anything. We will be staying for a a couple of days (4 to 10 days)in Clearwater in November because my wife is partecipating at the triathlon. Is there any sense to take along my kite equipment, is it a good season to go kiting, what kitesize would be best? I'm about 85 kg and usually fly a CB7, SB1 12 or 9, a SS Turbodiesel 14 or a Flysurfer Psy III 13, from around 10 knots to maybe 30knots. Would there also be a possibility to rent some kitematerial in the region (maybe only the board), so I would have less problems on the flight, taking along only the kites, harness and neoprene? Îs a shorty enough, or do I need a long wetsuit? Is it better to go to the eastcoast, is the Atlantic better for kiting?
Thank you very much for an answer or suggestions. Urs Picco, Seitzerland
Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Talking Pm

Hey Urs

i sent you a pm.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:49 PM
popeye

Hi I can't answer the travel questions, but as for riding, you are in for a treat. Forget clearwater beach... drive down to the sunshine skyway or Ft. Desoto Beach (about 20 minutes). We get a lot of easterly winds this time of year and it's all flat shallow water. Later as the fronts come through, it switches to westerly and we can ride the waves on the gulf beaches.

Typically the wind range here is 15-25... occasionally 30-35 (but not regularly). I would pack the 14 and a 12.

Check out some videos of East Beach here:
http://www.floridakiteboarder.com

Last edited by popeye; 10-07-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the information. Looks like I can do some kiteboarding all the same, I was afraid Florida would be a no-go....See you maybe in Fort DeSoto. Greetings, Urs
Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM
popeye

Florida is definitely a go. Pinellas county has some of the best kiteboarding in Florida... (aside from the keys). We can ride flat water in any direction... and (small) waves anytime we get some West in it... for big waves in an East you can make a drive to the east coast but it's 3 hours away... but worth it if you want to pick up some gear cheap from extreme kites.

You can also do a down winder for about 10 miles on the gulf and take a trolley back to where you started... gear and all for $1.50. Just wear booties and a rash guard (or wetsuit) to get on the trolley.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:46 PM

yo tom,
$1.25
and newspaper (lashed roman style)will work
peace