FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Southwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Default Trainer kite question?

Whille waiting for decent wind for a lesson I was thinking of flying a trainer as much as possible. I was looking at 4m HQ Scout. My thinking is that I would like to be able to landboard or snowkite with this once I am on to bigger kites in the water. Is this kite to big for me as my first trainer? On a side note would I like the hydra better if I could use it in my kayak as well.

Thanks...Steve
Old 06-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Steve - The Scout 4m would be fine as a trainer (esp. if you're in Florida this summer) and would also be good for a buggy, landboard, snowkiting, etc., depending on wind conditions. In Hatteras last season, we used the HQ Rush Pro 300 (slightly less than 3m) and a Scout 5m for trainer kite lessons, depending on wind conditions. I have a Scout 5m, and it's a great kite. The Scout 4m would be better than the 5m as a first trainer kite, but the 5m would be the more versatile snow/buggy/landboard kite, in my opinion. I don't know anything about the hydra. In any case, definitely practice with a trainer kite as much as possible before moving to the water......it'll make a huge positive difference in your kiteboarding learning curve. Have fun! Jim
Old 06-25-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks Jim,

I bought a 5m Scout which should be here any day now. Can't wait to get out there and feel the pull of a decent sized kite.

Steve
Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 PM

Hi and welcome to the world of kiting. The less time you spend flying a trainer before you have instruction, the better as everything that you teach yourself as far as muscle memory and body mechanics will be contrary to what an experienced instructor will train you to do. The strong pull, and the resistance that you learn are contrary to the idea of going with the kite to ride. Get the instruction first so you practice good skills that will transfer into forward motion and big fun. Laurel