FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Bahamian Kiteboarding Forum
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-13-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Nassau in Nov.

I've got a flight booked to Nassau in November with the wife. I know that the wind should (cross my fingers) be good that time of year. I know that Cross shore kiteboarding is doing a trip around the islands at that time, but I only get a few days of kiting. Which Island do you guys recommend staying on for wind and beaches? And where is the best beach to ride for flat water in the area? I can't find any beaches listed on say Cross shore's site or the Kitehouse. Granted it changes due to the wind direction. I wouldn't mind supporting someone, but I hate paying a $100 for a day of riding. I can pump up my kite by myself! Isn't that what makes this sport so great? Once you get the gear you ride for free! I guess I'm cheap but living in Utah $50 gives me a full day of riding powder at Snowbird and I bitch that it used to only be $25.
Anyhow, any advice would be appreciated. I've read the forum and haven't found much to go off. Sounds like Exuma is good, but don't know if my wife would enjoy that. Plus the hassle of taking a ferry and such.
Thanks for the help. Hope you guys get some wind this Sunday.
Diggs
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 AM

Smile mr diggler

if you have a look at the past posts you will see where we ride in what wind direction.
I will put this in plane view of the forum so every one can see this.
The reason I charge $100 per day for a advanced rider with there own gear is.
#1 local knowledge.
#2 if you rented a car or a scooter it will cost you $80 to 100 per a day .
if you got a taxi back and forth from the beach (blue hill) from you hotel it would cost you depending on how honest the taxi driver was 80-100 bucks.
#3 I supply drinks and snacks ,kite caddy service (pump up ya gear help ya set up,launch and landing assistance) hotel pick up and drop off.
and kite storage if needed.
#4 I get discounts at hotels that I pass on to visiting riders.

November the wind will be awesome,so awesome that i will be in another part of the Bahamas doing a kite camp with pro rider Shannon best for the month of November and maybe December depending on bookings.
aj
Old 08-17-2007, 12:09 PM

Hey Diggler!
Be sure to take AJ up on his offer. You will be grateful you did.
My wife and I went to Nassu on our honeymoon a couple years ago and rented a car. If you are not used to driving like Andretti on the left side of the road it can be quite an experience.
Plus AJ knows all the great spots and you'll spend more time riding and less time getting lost.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the responses.
Chris, I understand that for a day of your time you have to charge at least that much. I would have to charge a lot more to make it worth my time! I was saying that I would just take care of everything myself. I know that you are doing a kitecamp from the Nov. 1-8. So booking with you isn't even a possibility. I am curious as to why you are leaving Nassau at that time. Is Exuma that much better? If I remember right you were hitting a bunch of islands on the trip. I would love to do a trip like that, but it would have to be without my wife. She'd be pissed at me from day one! She likes being on the beach, but when you get sand blowing in your face for hours while your husband is out having a good time, it doesn't make for a happy camper. I just wish she would get into kiting! We still haven't booked a hotel room yet, so if you get kick backs on that I'd be happy to support your business. We usually end up renting a home or condo, but I was waiting to decide where we want to be first.
I was trying to find a good beach to kite at, where we could stay nearby. If that's possible. So no car would be needed. Anyway, we usually end up taking the bus when we travel. It's a better way to meet the locals and usually dirt cheap!
I have traveled quite a bit kiting and done everything from paying $250 for a two hour lesson in Maui, $50 for a boat trip to the Sandbar in Miami, $25 for a boat ride to the mangroves in the P.R. and nothing for riding in Kailua bay on Oahu. I understand it is expensive to live in paradise! I guess it depends on how many riders you have going out. Are there a lot of tourist kiters visiting the Bahamas?
Sorry for the ramblings, I know I had some reason for posting. My suggestion was going to be to add to your forum a kite beach listing with best wind directions. You can check out the Utah forum at http://utahwindriders.com. Click on local sites. Here's the direct linkhttp://www.utahwindriders.org/wind/HTM/local.htm.
Our local site has wind and weather info for each beach also. Granted it is a lot larger distance between most beaches. Just my two cents, so you don't have some non-local idiot posting crap on your forum! By the way I was disappointed to see the non-locals aren't wanted on the go-slo beach. Lame! Its sad to see this happening. Come to Utah and we'll be nothing but nice. We have a great local crew. We would tell you where to go and anyone there would help you launch and land without any hassle. Thats all I am asking for.
Thanks again for the suggestions,
Digg
Old 08-26-2007, 07:33 PM

Smile here ya go mr Digle

the reason I'm going to another island in November is because I want to show more of the Bahamas than just Nassau to my KB students.
The place you will be comenly be riding in Nov will be goodmans bay, launch from the jetski ramp and ride up wind to goslow or launch at goslow (gnarley launch)
goodmans is good from west to NE.
if the wind is ENE you will be going to Yamacraw if the wind is more east and you want flat water you will be going to south beach end of blue hill rd.
you will see why we are having this discussion about goslow when you get here if you get here.
The hotel I send students and riders to is Orangehill tellem aj sent you and you will get 10% off.(www.orangehill.com)
get a tourist map when you get to the Nassau airport and drive on the left side good luck.
if you want to come riding to spanish wells look up fasrferries bahamas and come down.
aj
Old 10-27-2007, 05:57 PM

Just checking back in to see how the wind has been. What kite sizes have you been riding lately. I know I should take them all, but the wife will be taking plenty of shoes!
Anyone that is up for a session let me know. We will be there the first week of Nov.
Thanks again Aj for the suggestions on riding spots. Hope things work out driving on the left hand side of the road. Never done that before.
Digg
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Can't Re-member

Good luck with that Tropical Storm / Hurricane thingy diggler
Old 10-29-2007, 05:17 PM

Its blowing about 30 right now
Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Can't Re-member

I think that might be the low for a bit
Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Thumbs up the wind has been rad...

the wind is up back to the ene..12m and 9m kites sick wave sessions in nassau.
we did a 7 mile down winder the other day. (flat water)
then the wind was more north and we where in the waves..my legs are still killing me.
so yes the wind is up and it's good
aj