FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 AM

I'll put my homemade "Woody" against anything out there.
Now if I can only figure out how to go downwind on it!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Racing is half skill and half smack talking(WWF style), and all fun, so bring those woodies and directionals my way. I will "Glide" right past ya, beeotchezzz.(Can we race in 10 knots?)
(At least I can place first in the smack talk portion of the race) Now I just have to learn how this kitethingamajigger works....
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM

This is great. I’d like to see some course racing taking off here. We started the Cabrinha kite race series in SF Bay 3 years ago and it is very successful now. The nice thing is also the fact that you can race in winds as light as 10 mph as long as it is gusting to 12-13. I personally would suggest windward leeward races of 2 laps with a down wind finish. You can count on Garry, Todd, Josh, and me coming over from Adventure Sports to support your races.

Jay, I don't know what a woody is, but if it's not a directional, I'll take your challenge!!! Before the races start, I strongly implore those of you that don't have quads or at least flat tri fins with very little toe-in to get one ASAP. Course racing is totally fun, but not if you don't have the right stuff to race on. We have been working on course boards for one and a half years and have gotten pretty far. 3-4 of us in Miami race on the weekends, and can't wait to check our stuff against some others. Let us know when it's on and we will be there.

Kent
Old 01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Can't Re-member

AWESOME!!!

That will set up The "Battle of the Bays", Biscayne Bay vs. Tampa Bay
Old 01-28-2008, 05:06 PM

Big R, that's a killer idea. i'd be happy to run an event down here and we could run it as a East Coast vs. West Coast (of Florida) points series.

we count the top 3 men, 3 masters (35+), 2 women, and 1 jr. I have a forumla for participation points that I can publish if we have interest. let me know. thx.

Kent
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM

Sweet well it looks like theres definatly some intrest. Im going to pick up some inflatible bouys and we'll have something going. Love the idea of an east vs west series. Looks like good wind tomorrow and ill probibly be at east beach so if anyone has any other ideas just find me down there. I have lime green SB3s. and while everyones throwing their board suggestions out there I like the placebo surfskates. bows are better than C's but the board is the biggest performance factor in my opinion. rode a underground 152 and a 12 meter C last year and couldnt keep up upwind. Ill post and try to get a few days notice before the first one goes off so you know to start working on the "sick" day but ill try to get it on a weekend so theres a better turnout. looking foreward to this and hope its a good turnout. also im going to pick up some cheap white tshirts from walmart and number them so we can have some kind of rider number or something to easily identify riders.

Last edited by Sam; 01-28-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 PM

kent and if you wouldnt mind publishing that formula for participation points or send it to me it would be good to keep the points and scoring consistant between the east and west. also if theres a champs or something we could at least be on the same page for scoring.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Skyway Scott

What's it supposed to blow? 15 or more?
I would like to try it out.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:21 PM

Might not have markers by tomorrow but it might be fun if anyone out there tomorrow wanted to simply practice going upwind against other kiters or do some simple practices just to get warmed up, test some gear for upwind performance would be fun and if I can get my hands on some markers at west marine in the morning than that could be a bit more fun. If anyone has any orange juice containers or laundry detergent bottles to fill with sand and use as an anchor that would be appreciated. No promises on the marks though. as Kent said course racing can bring fun to those days where you can only ride upwind in about 12ish so. Will make an announcement for the first official race. now that theres intrest ive got the markers and everything all set. tomorrow looks like a SSE to SSW east beach day so lets keep our fingers crossed and mabye we can get some informal practice races going or at the very least a few upwind speed tests.