FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-09-2008, 07:14 AM

Default Snowkiting Advice

Alright kids.....going snowkiting in a few weeks. Heading to Park City and Powder Mountain, Utah. Never done it. Any words of advice, tips, places I should go??? I believe that Flexi is having the World Snowkiting Championships while I am there. Will try to get some pics to bring back.

I feel like I am leaving the planet.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Steve-O,

Check out my friend Garret's forum up in Canada. They can answer any questions you have on snow kiting. I will email him and tell him to respond on here if needed.

http://www.boostkiteboarding.com

It looks like their website is down at the moment.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:07 PM

Default Going next week!

I'm going up to N.E. Ohio on Thursday and was going to give snowkiting a try. There are miles of wide open farmland and rolling hills so it should be a blast - if there is snow. The forecast is looking a little spotty.

I think I would probably drive a few hours just to find some snow b/c the videos I've seen on the net make it look like crazy fun. Plus the fact that I spent 24 miserable winters up there doing nothing, now I can finally enjoy it for once.

What size kite(s) are you taking? Are you going to use a snow kiteboard? I'm taking my 9m roo and then borrowing a snowboard from a friend. I'll give you a report when I get back on the 18th.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Planning to use a snowboard for sure. Taking a 10M kite. I think that will work for the conditions I am looking for. Some kite mags this winter are doing alot of stories on snowkiting and it is definately hitting on all levels. Powder Mountain is the only resort in the US that offers snowkiting in addition to trails for snowboard and ski. Can't beat that.

I think I am going to have my wife take some lessons as from the looks of it, snowkiting might be easier to learn the basics....you can be underpowered by alot and still ride. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:39 PM

When riding in the mid west in the farm lands be very careful of bobwire fences. Old ones that are blown down or covered up with snow can mess you up bad, and are very hard to see.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Snowkiting

I am in Burlington, VT at the moment. (I live in Orlando and usually kiteboard at Parrish Park in Titusville.) It was a light wind day this morning, but there were a few snowkiters out on Lake Champlain at Sand Bar State Park north of town. I haven't had a chance to try it, but it looks very cool on the frozen lake....easier than kiteboarding in chop......a very smooth and consistent ride.

I hear that kiteboarders find snowkiting a piece of cake. Much easier to learn because the board is on a stable surface. I'll bring my kites next time I'm here and give it a try.......my challenge will be Florida blood in sub 20 degree temps..... jm