FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Default Got lucky at gandy

Thought I'd share my exp. At gandy on Tuesday I was on my to lassing when I saw kites at the west end of the gandy bridge. Looked like sketchbooks to me with powerlines and a highway down wind, not to mention the jagged rocks to the west. I pulled in with a buddy of mine and talked to a few of the guys already riding, seems the wind had shifted to S fir lassing. So we decided to launch and just keep distance from shore, later in the day the wind picked up. Alot. I was pretty lit on my 12m thruster, my buddy landed his 12m ion and I grabbed my Watson for one last set. I was def at the top end of my kite. About 10 min in. Half way thru a kite loop. I snapped a back line and crashed as the kite started to death loop twards the highway almost simultaneously the front line snapped and the kite flagged straight out. I got lucky both lines broke at once. At a closer look both lines snapped about 5 inches below where the pigtail ties in. Lesson CHECK YOUR GEAR On A REGULAR BASIS!!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Oh and riding at gandy probly not a good idea. Realtalk
Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 PM

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=1164
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Cool Gandy Launch

As a South Tampa Kiter, I'd like to weigh in on the Gandy launch, as I was one of the ones riding there that Tuesday.

The hazards are real. The oyster beds follow the channel on the South side. And are either exposed or just under the surface. And there are a lot of oysters there.

The powerlines are right next to the major highway where the slow traffic is going 60mph.

There are channel markers in the way.

Did not see boats, but the launch is right by the channel, so it's a matter of when, not if.

That said, the South wind was 10-12kts and building as we set up.

This launch is a perfect example of knowing your skills and riding within your envelope of experience and abilities.

As the newest member of our South Tampa Crew, it was my first time riding there. My total kiting experience is a year and a half.

Having ridden most Tampa area launch sites as well as Islamorada's Whale harbor and Anne's Beach, I felt qualified to ride at that launch.

While the hazards are very real, a solid intermediate kiter, can negotiate the hazards with relative safety.

Anyone who's been to West Skyway has seen big oyster beds and channel markers to avoid.

Been to Cypress? Channel markers, jetties, crab traps, oyster beds, and deceptive shallows.

Picnic Island? Just launching for riding the South bay is an experience. Climbing a mangrove tree bafefoot to retrieve your stranded kite is something I've witnessed and have no desire to experience.

Sunset Beach? If you have a problem just off the west side of that beach, you are in deep water and need to have your self rescue techniques ready. Yeah, you'll end up in the shallows soon enough, but that big rockpile to the south will not do your fancy kite any favors.

Fred Howard? If you can't stay upwind and get outside, you'll have to try to land on the swimming beach. ALWAYS a BAD idea. That launch is threatened by kiters who do that.

East Beach? I GREAT learning area, BUT, any good day will find 20-50 kites in the air, and another 15-30 on the beach. NOT a good place to just launch and hope for the best.

So, what to do? Where to go?

Go to Watersports West, (I have no affiliation, btw) and get signed up for lessons with Steve-o. Truly among the best instructors you will find. Get your skills honed. Get your practice time in at safer launches. NOT GANDY.

Get some new launches and experience under your belt.

Really learn to fly that kite with a dedicated instructor helping you remain safe while doing so.

Then, after you have your skills down. Upwind no problem. Self land and launch safely. Self rescue. Emergency procedures.

Then maybe the Gandy Launch is occaisonally doable.

I rode Tuesday until the wind was 16-18 kts and getting too much for my big kite. I landed with a friend's help, even though my self-landing sand auger was in place just in case.

Packed up and was home in time for lunch.

Not the best launch, I agree wholeheartedly. But by remaining within my envelope of skills and experience, I had an enjoyable and safe day on the water.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 PM

Nicely put Rando. There's always going to be hazards no matter where you ride. North Shore wasn't mentioned and it has the seawall on the south side that is certainly a hazard for novices. Wind conditions change constantly and must be monitored continuouslsy. Has anyone ever kited the 520 Slick around Cocoa? Talk about a sketchy launch/landing. You have to stand in the middle of a four lane highway directly under power lines (much like US 1 at Smathers in Key West). Then walk through a mangrove path that leads directly into a busy boating channel. Cabarete has razor sharp reefs just under the surface and strong currents. Aruba has the same plus fishermans huts its straight offshore and SUPER gusty.
As long as you kite within your ability-location and wind speed-I don't see a problem with "Unemployment Beach"
(Just beware of the h-mos in the mangroves! Thats what Big G told me anyway)
Old 01-29-2011, 06:54 PM

I think you may be missing the point of why riding at Gandy is not a good idea. Nobody is questioning anyone’s ability; I think you should consider the broader implications.

If you get in trouble at Gandy (like what happened to the first poster) you just don’t hurt yourself/your gear… There’s a good chance you’re going to cause damage to other people/property. With wind from any direction at Gandy if anything goes wrong your gear is in a busy road with the 60 mph cars. You’re not just hurting yourself or threatening people on the beach, you’re potentially causing some serious damage. If you put personal liability aside, the real problem is the implications to the kite boarding community.

I think Gandy beach is under the jurisdiction of Pinellas County. If a kiter looses their gear and causes an accident on Gandy Blvd the first thing the County will do (they HAVE to do for liability reasons) is close Gandy to kite boarding. The next thing they will probably do is look at every other place where we kite board that’s under their jurisdiction and take the same action (go through Rando’s list and pick them out). After that, if a launch is managed by another gov body they will probably take the same action. Think of the media attention because of a potentially multi-car accident on Gandy Blvd that was caused by a kite boarder. Any government agency that has any liability associated with kite boarding would have to take action (as a tax payer of the county/city I expect them to).

Rando has a good list and there’s some good things to consider at each launch, however, those issues are manageable and don’t have nearly the potential for damage like Gandy. I think that’s why WW posted the list of places not to ride, not to challenge your riding ability or list inconveniences to kite boarders, I think the intent is to point out places that have too much downside to the community if a problem happens.

I live in St Pete and work in downtown Tampa which means I drive by Gandy every day. I’m just starting out and I stick to beginner launches but I’m staying up-wind, etc and starting to look for new places and Gandy is very tempting. Honestly, the reason I don’t is I don’t want to take the chance of f-ing up my gear, but if I really thought about it I also don’t want to be the guy that gets EVERYTHING shut down. With the light wind on the weekends lately I was looking to go south Florida to get out and practice. Crandon seems perfect with shallow water, warm temps, shuttle services, etc. Then I saw all the rules, BS insurance you have to buy, certification, yearly passes, and limited number of riders. It makes you appreciate what we have here, it seems like it wouldn’t take a lot to loose it.

Nobody can stop you from riding there and doing what you want and I’m sure you can handle it, but maybe consider not posting it and letting people think it a good idea. Hopefully people will also read WW post and decide not to go there. I know this can happen anywhere, I just think the potential for really bad problems is so much greater at places like Gandy.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:03 AM

Every time we start a downwinder from the Gandy spot my guts are screaming to get the hell outta there ASAP. The spot just has bad vibes...
Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando1994 View Post
I felt qualified to ride at that launch.

While the hazards are very real, a solid intermediate kiter, can negotiate the hazards with relative safety.
Although you make some good points, no matter how good of a rider you are, your gear doesn't care where you are or what you are doing when it decides to fail. In addition to that take into consideration that same riders gear breaking and having an unsecured kite coming at you from upwind.

It's not always your own misfortune you should be worried about. Gandy is just a horrible spot all together.

One of the best things you can do is ride in an area that offers a safe environment for screws ups. I should know, I've had man!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM

The Gandy (ie. Redneck Riviera) can be a decent spot but only on an E or NE wind. There is no blockage from the N so u can ride side offshore winds there without it being gusty.
I agree that it should never be riden on any southerly winds regardless of skill level. A broken leash could mean the deaths of many drivers only 30 yards away and major bans in Tampa Bay.
Just watch out for the oyster beds and drunken rednecks trying to catch ur kite.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
u can ride side offshore winds there without it being gusty.
I just want to point out that side offshore is not a recommended wind direction per most kiteboarding instruction.

In this case your risk is that you will likely wash up in mangroves vs being blown out to sea, keep that in mind.