FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-17-2006, 06:26 PM

Default 2 line or 4 line Trainers?

When looking into buying a trainer kite, what would be more benefical for learning, 2 line or 4 line? Anyone give a solid list of trainers to start out on. And imagine keeping it under 3-4 meter size right.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 04-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: 2 line or 4 line Trainers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldlndfirefghtr
When looking into buying a trainer kite, what would be more benefical for learning, 2 line or 4 line? Anyone give a solid list of trainers to start out on. And imagine keeping it under 3-4 meter size right.

Thanks!
For actual training something as small as 1 m will work just fine. If you want to use it for land traction like snow kiteboarding, something more around the range of 4 m + might be more in line.

The thing is that foil trainers are good to a point, learning basic kite control, wind response and to working on developing a "feel." Still, small trainer foils handle much differently than conventional four line LEIs normally used for kiteboarding. So, the trainers are an important step but not really an end in themselves aside from possible land traction with the larger sizes. Slingshot, Best and other brands have popular trainer foils.

In the past I have advised guys to move on to a small four line LEI, say around 5 m on 15 m lines (30 m lines folded in half for instance), AFTER time with the small foil trainer. In time you can expand the line to full length and try body dragging in the water. The smaller LEI comes a great deal closer to the behavior (less some of the heavier drag) than larger LEI's. I was once dragged out of control about 120 ft. at high speed across the sand many years ago by a 5 m kite so don't be unduly lulled by the size. You might want to shop around for a regular small trainer foil and a used 5 m kite.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-17-2006, 09:46 PM

Rick,

Thanks for all the insight, very helpfully as always. Here is one I'll throw at ya. After getting some initial training/feel for a foil trainer (1 - 3 meters), whats the down side to say getting a 3 -5 meter "full version" kite, example is the BEST Waroo 3 or 5 meter, and using it as a trainer also, before moving up to a larger kite, more suitable for your individual area/riding conditions. Will one of these smaller "full version" kites be able to fly in lighter winds that a person may be practicing in. Would it be too much to substitute as a trainer kite (inclined to think it would). Of course the inital cost is going to be much more.

Thanks

Jason
Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldlndfirefghtr
Rick,

Thanks for all the insight, very helpfully as always. Here is one I'll throw at ya. After getting some initial training/feel for a foil trainer (1 - 3 meters), whats the down side to say getting a 3 -5 meter "full version" kite, example is the BEST Waroo 3 or 5 meter, and using it as a trainer also, before moving up to a larger kite, more suitable for your individual area/riding conditions. Will one of these smaller "full version" kites be able to fly in lighter winds that a person may be practicing in. Would it be too much to substitute as a trainer kite (inclined to think it would). Of course the inital cost is going to be much more.

Thanks
I wouldn't bother with a small flat kite yet. Your goal for starters should be training and to pick the best kites for that initial application. I would consider getting a flat kite for your first full sized traction kite for kitesurfing but wouldn't waste the money on a small one.

You shouldn't even consider going out in winds that would suit a 5 m flat kite anytime soon, a year, more? Those are some pretty high winds and appropriate for an advanced intermediate or stronger rider, if even then. A used 5 m four line C kite will serve you well for training once you have moved on from a foil training kite. It will also cost a lot less than a flat kite.

I would save the real money for purchase for when you are ready for a full sized kiteboarding kite.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-17-2006, 11:47 PM

Rick,

Thanks for the info. Think I'll just look into purchasing a small basic trainer, and just practice with it after work and on weekends, all summer long until this winter when I can get some training. I can get the slingshot wasp 2 through work for about 40% off, figure that should bring the price down and give me something to play around on, but think thats a 2 line if I'm not mistaken. Any other recommendations on 4 line trainers? And is it really that important to train on a 4 line, heard it may be easier to self launch. And if I understand you correctly, C kites are better entry level kites than flat kites (bows right)

Thanks for all the help

Jason
Old 04-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

My point about the flat kites is to not necessarily pick a small one up for use as a trainer BUT to consider buying a full sized one when you are ready for moving into kiteboarding. The flat kites seem to have a number of advantatges over conventional C kites, all that power dumping for a big one when you are ready to go on the water with a full sized kite.

For an undersized trainer, it seems like a very small flat kite, although it will provide valuble insight into how flat kites handle would likely be a fairly expensive learning tool prior to moving to a full sized kitesurfing kite. This may change in time.

Starting with a trainer like one from SS is the way to go. You DON'T want to mess around with a full sized kitesurfing kite onshore but want to save that for smaller, less powerful foils and perhaps a 5 m LEI.

I haven't used four line trainers that I can recall anyway. Four line foils flown on handles offer some advantages for reverse launch as opposed to a two line foil flown on a bar. Then again, very few guys use handles for kitesurfing these days. So, I am not sure that I would bother with the four line foil trainers.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-27-2006, 10:11 AM

just to add my two pennies worth...

i have a 3m wasp that is great for training,...but it's not quite the same because of how fast it goes.
i learned a lot more on a 9m foil(2line) in "light" winds,...it seemed to turn slower and i was able to respond a lot quiker.

on the snow, the power of the 9m allowed me to learn tacking very easily, and by the end of the day i was getting the hang of riding upwind.

however, due to not being able to de-power. it is very unpridictable in gusty conditions and yes i have my wounds to show for it.

my gf has a 5m "C" kite, which is great for learning the jist of a "full version" kite,...but it takes a lot of wind to enable riding with it,...all i've been able to use it for is "tea-bagging" on the beach...(she wieghs 110 pnds,...it rips her across the water no problem,...i wiegh 170 and have a much more difficult time)
Old 07-31-2006, 08:47 PM

I had a small 2-3m foil trainer 2 line about a year ago. I didnt like it because.

1. you cant learn to launch and relaunch very well

2. The small 2 line foils tend to be very fast and ants'y in the air

I wish I had picked up a 5m "C" kite trainer for my first kite.

-chris