FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
ruffridah89

Quote:
A good question is whether or not you will want to try to ride in 5 to 10 mph conditions. The bottom line is that riding at the ultimate low end may just not be that much fun. You will know that the wind is too light if your kite keeps stalling and falling out of the sky like a rock. By contrast, something around 10 to 12 mph would be a different story. Being at a lighter weight does help to a degree. Also, will you be in a fairly calm area or one with waves? Even 1 ft. waves boost your wind power requirements.
Basically, I kite off of Crandon and Matheson Hammocks. Typically, the winds over there get 6-10 mph winds. It may not be the ultimate experience riding at the low end like you say compared to 15 knts + winds. So, yes, one foot waves appear on and off, but mostly @ Crandon because its more of a beach than Matheson.

Quote:
So, in a C kite you will want something big, just not too big to where it flys slower. Something around 17 m might be the ticket. In the new flat kites, perhaps something around 16 m might do it. I understand the new Contra bow kite performs well in even smaller sizes but don't have hands on experience with it yet.
My instructer who taught me months ago told me that he has a 21 BFK, and said that it would work for me. Is this okay in safety for a 145 pounder guy in 5-10 mph conditions???

Quote:
I hear that every time someone rides a glide or aggression after hopping off their board. They HONESTLY think it got windier when they hopped on. Its kinda funny, really, but reinforces the importance of the board in our crappy low wind conditions.
Thats hilarious...
Boards can make a difference on light winds...maaybe on the long run i can trade in my Cabrinha prodigy 158 for another one.
l8er
Danny
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Skyway Scott

21 BFK is big.

At our size, IMO, it's overkill. We are light enough it may not be necessary.
No exaggeration here, I can easily ride a 15m on the Glide in 9mph. In 11, at our size, I am having quite a bit of fun.

Less than 9, I don't know that a bigger kite is the answer, anyways. Wind is not linear in power, so every knot drop is a HUGE drop in power. Its pretty strange.

Sounds like you are moderately new to the sport. I would play it safer than sorry. Maybe right around 17m.

Yeah, try to test ride one (Glide) , you'll see first hand what I am saying. It's really quite amazing. 8)
I have seen first hand maybe 20 people all claim the wind picked up.. good stuff.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM

I agree with Scott. I am 250 lbs and when I ride my 158 Underground Magic Carpet combined with my 20.5 SS Machine, I am usually nicely powered in light wind. I also have a 25.5 Machine but use it only in extreme light wind or I am WAY overpowered. Almost had a situation the other day with having too big a kite up for my own good. Do yourself a favor and stick to the 17M Fuel and a good quality large board like Scott advised above...board is 99% of riding in light wind in my opinion...
Old 05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Skyway Scott

:P (Phewww... I hate arguments)\
Toby, since your phone is busted, its about to go off out at the beach.. AGAIN.....
Old 05-31-2006, 05:48 AM

Default kite size

well, if you want to stick with c kites, I would say a 12 or 16. A 16 is probly allitle big but if your really into going out in 5-10 you'll need a big kite.

I have an Air Rush pilot 16 i well sell, its touched the water twice, just sitting in my garage.

kevin
________
GoldenBlond

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:56 AM
ruffridah89

so ur sayin a 16 will do for a 145 pounder in very light winds?
hmmmmmmmmmm
-Danny
Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Skyway Scott

Yes,

I think that is right as well.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 PM
ruffridah89

i'll give it a try...
Im just wondering y my coach offered a 21 BFK to me... hmmmmmmmm
Off to EBAY!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 PM

i'd go with the 14 contra

I got a chance to check it out when i was in texas, yet wind wasn't blowing AT ALL, so i didn't get a chance to ride it.

I did see it perform in person though, i saw shawn and jesse richman ride it in about 12 knots, they had enough power to throw handle passes. and from what they told me it's got ALOT of pull for such a small kite.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:57 PM
ruffridah89

thanx all