FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

We have already been kicked out of other state parks for not dealing with issues. If there is a problem, it would be good to plan to tackle it in the most effective way feasible.

What Steve described is an approach being used or considered for other designated launches with existing problems. These launches are on both private and public property. In time, as access is threatened in other areas, this approach may expand, ideally based upon need.

Is it right for Ft. Desoto? That is up to you to decide or more likely leaders among you. Building consensus is important as is action, when and where it is needed. Good luck, you guys have a great thing in Desoto, it is worth working to maintain access.

An article largely from a Park Manager's perspective appears in "Parks and Recreation" at:
http://www.fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=95

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-18-2006, 09:08 AM
tomstock

Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 PM

Protecting our spot is as simple as not ever speaking to any officials. Just make sure accidents don't happen and we'll be fine.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:56 PM

Old 10-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420
Protecting our spot is as simple as not ever speaking to any officials. Just make sure accidents don't happen and we'll be fine.
Often, it isn't a single accident or even a series that force us out of a launch. More often than not it is a long series of complaints, observations by authorities of poor rider behavior and concern over possible accidents. These things have closed access many times over in numerous areas. Of course accidents only throw more fuel on the fire burning out our access.

So, in addition to making sure that there are not accidents. You should add some other things to your list, like,

- stopping the cause of repetitious complaints from other users of the park.

- stopping riders from showing issues to the rangers first hand.

- establishing good lines of communication between the authorities and responsible local kiters. If all they hear are complaints and see things that cause them concern, who will speak for us then? I believe there are kiters at Desoto that already maintain healthy lines of communication with the authorities in an effort to preempt problems. You are right in that you don't want to set yourself up for failure or overt regulation out of hand. Merely providing a responsible point of contact for the rangers if they have a beef or just want to compliment something that kiters have done can make a difference. This has been a valuable early warning system MANY times at launches all over like Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano, Key West, Crandon Park, Jupiter, Tybee Island, Oahu, Maui, Hayling, Island, England, West Dennis and many more sites that immediately come to mind.

It isn't all that simple or easy to accomplish. Some ideas are being passed around, I would continue to explore viable options. Doing nothing has been proven already by lost access in other areas, NOT to work.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 PM

Just so were clear desoto is a county park not a state park. If it were a state park then you would pay more money to get in.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 PM
tomstock

Old 10-19-2006, 12:39 AM

I don't think we've had complaints from anyone. People love driving by, stopping, and watching us kite.

Only thing I believe we have to worry about are accidents.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:26 AM

one of the best preventative measures we all could do is warn lookilou's that they are in a danger zone.

i dont feel like i should have2 pay to recieve the blessings of pasa iko cia or nambla. Y

you pasa/iko dudes/dudettes are a great asset2 our community, but whats wrong with a day where everyone gets evaluated no charge...that is more palatable IMHO.

why should an obviously squared away rider have 2 pay $20 for someone with half the expierience (just cuz they have taken a course) to give em the nod.

it just doesn't pass the smell test.

also...and i'm guilty of this, but please please stop drinking alcohol at desoto...go2 MAD beach if your into Xrated kiting, drinking is leagal there.

peace
Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 AM

Certification is MORE THAN LIKELY to be required in future organized events. It would not be a bad idea to get certified if you plan on competing. However, if you have had basic instruction and are comfortable on your own, I see no reason for someone to decide to require certification if you are riding for recreation.

Things like large turnouts for pinellas county beach cleanups are a way for the kiting community to show our appreciation for the use of the beaches and keep a positive image in the eyes of rangers, etc.

We don't need to hide from the authorities, but at this point, I don't think we need to ask them to enforce a rule that hasn't even been agreed upon. I think Bryan L's idea of having a good attitude and approaching someone and taking it from there is our best bet right now. Chances are that if its blowin, there will be a large group of "local experienced riders" goin'. As a group, decisions can be made on a case by case basis as to the best way to handle a situation/person if it appears to be a dangerous situation.