FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Default Delray questions

How far south from the anchor park beach access can you launch?

I'm still very new to kiteboarding, and for the past two days, I've walked a good distance south to keep out of everyone's way. The few guys I HAVE talked to, say I'm alright until the lifeguard stands, which are well down the beach. I just didn't know if any of the residents that live by there are real sticklers about kiters. It only takes one person to ruin it, and it's such a beautiful spot. My buddy that went with me said the house they blew up for the movie Bad Boys is right there. Anyways, I only got in a few hours in before I had to pack it in... work is overrated :P

I also noticed a couple golden retrievers out there too. What are the rules regarding dogs? My aussie shep/border collie mix has never seen the beach

Until I can ride upwind properly, I'm going to get monster calve muscles from running back up the beach . I may be the new guy, but I'm hooked... no pun intended
Old 02-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Good questions, thanks for asking and caring about preserving access. It sounds like you are already walking way upwind of the out of bounds area while you are still working on riding/staying upwind, excellent. People need to know that if it is blowing out of the S to SE they need to go way to the south and walk back well before the hobie cats on the beach. Or, if it is blowing from the N to NE to stay well north of Atlantic Dunes Park a mile to the south.

People do need to stay out of the sea oat dunes to the west of the beach in the area encroaching on all the homes. I see guys flying full sized kites with no flying skills dropping kites into the dunes or sending them flying off into these private properties. This is only going to annoy these residents who took a good shot at banning kiting here a while back. By stupidly cheaping out on adequate quality pro lessons they are putting all our access in harms way not to mention themselves potentially plowing headfirst at speed into a dune scarp, line hazards, etc..

Going to the south, you need to stay at least 100 yards to the north or offshore of Atlantic Dunes Park just north of Linton Blvd. They have just one lifeguard stand that shows up pretty well from the water. More about the park at: http://www.mydelraybeach.com/Delray/...lities/Map.htm

"3. Are dogs permitted on the beach or in any city park?

Dogs and other pets are prohibited in all city parks, including the Municipal Beach and Atlantic Dunes Park. The exception to this is the use of the sidewalk of A1A. Please use a "doggie bag", located at various locations along the side walk to help keep the area clean. Palm Beach County Parks and Recreation has designated a Dog Park located in Lake Ida Park"

It comes down to enforcement which is fairly active on the guarded beaches during the day. The area between the guarded beaches may have little enforcement. If dogs start attacking kites or getting caught in lines on launch/landing that is a whole different problem. It has happened before.

This is from the recent 60 mile race. I put it in here to draw attention to the "no kites north of this line" location.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-09-2008, 06:51 PM

Default Delray Beach Question

Thanks for the low-down on kiting at Delray Rick, can you recommend any instructor that gives lessons there?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I think some folks from Best teach there as does Mela. You should be able to get Mela's number through Delray Watersports, the watercraft concession located just north of the kite launch area.

I encourage anyone seeking instruction to interview their prospective instructors. Not all instruction is equal by any means in these early days of the sport. So, shop wisely.

I can still recall stuff that went on in my basic dive course when I was 15. A good instructor can make that kind of impact and critically can help you on your way faster and safer. Some ideas for interview questions appear at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=937

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Hello Rick,
I'm working out of an airstrip in Boynton this week and want to try to get some water time, is Atlantic Dunes Park the best place for access?
Thanks,
JP
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey JP,

Are you based out of Willis Glider Port? We need to stay at least 100 yards offshore from any guarded beach in Delray. There is just one lifeguard stand at Atlantic Dunes and the area boundaries to the north and south of the guarded area are marked by signs. There is another area extending north from there to about 400 ft. south of Casurina Road. There not only do we need to stay at least a 100 yards off the beach, we also need to stay south of the Seagate Club. With light east winds getting out past 100 yards may be difficult. Regardless, we still need to stay out of this out of bounds area. I am sure you will, others I am less certain about!

There are still more spots in the area you may want to checkout. Give me a call to discuss if you like. Hope you get some nice thermals to boost the forecast winds.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi