FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-17-2010, 05:44 PM

so it that a 10 year old being taught by 12 kite at Hobie?

Seriously WTF are people thinking?

I am gonna start calling names, so if this is not 12 kite, please defend yourself, cause in 24 hours if anyone googles your name they are gonna find various post about your teaching practices.

Last edited by ricki; 03-26-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 PM

So Rick,

Hobie is then banned for sure?

I only wish we would have done it ourselves. Its never good when the authorities have to do the ban.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Default ergh....

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9434

well this totally sucks
Old 03-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is looking pretty grim, they've made up their minds to ban it. You can see the language in their post at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9434

A voluntary ban would be pretty daunting, how do we do it? We may try to negotiate something with the authority if they are willing to listen. From comments received at two meetings over the last five years, it could be a real push to reverse this thing.

If it is possible to negotiate a conditional ban reversal, it seems unlikely at present, the riding inside the buoys would have to stop entirely at a minimum, with no exceptions. Been asking people to do this for so long, they just blow it off. Congrats, you finally made your point, and lost access.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrynne View Post

that skinny runt needs sorting, you regulate your spot like the ol boy surfers, you behave or get beat down period
Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Who exactly are the "local kiters" they consulted with on this matter.

Is it true there was also a confrontation with law enforcement?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Look at this from almost nine years ago, Sep 12, 2001. Would have been great if we picked up on some of this.

From: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/FKSA/message/130

Steve,

The current ban extends to the entire area of Crandon Park on the east side
of Key Biscayne and the launch to the north of that area off Virginia Key
Beach. Bans are currently being considered for the area to the south of
Rickenbacker Cswy, i.e. Hobie and Windsurfer Beaches largely because of a
kite that was allowed to fly across traffic on the Causeway and other past
antics. We are supposed to have moderate to high winds out of the SW this
weekend. These winds are ideal for Hobie Beach. Considering past behavior,
kitesurfing at speed inside the swimming buoys, losing control and letting go
of kites with the onshore wind, we could well have a ban on the Causeway in a
few days.

To try to avoid this ban, I would suggest the following:

1. Everybody uses kite leashes and follow the rest of the kitesurfing
guidelines.

2. Kites are launched and landed with assistance near the swim buoys, about
150 feet offshore. No kites are to be in the air inside of that area.

3. No kitesurfing inside the swim buoys. This last guideline is probably
backed up by a county ordnance anyway.

4. Only intermedite to advanced kitesurfers should kitesurf off this area.

If we want to keep the only decent launch for SW to W winds south of Ponce
Inlet, we had better take charge of the situation and act carefully and
responsibly. Otherwise, bring on the bans!

As to other areas to kitesurf off Miami. I will post alternate spots and
guidelines following Saturday's meeting at Crandon Park.

Good luck,
Rick

<<
RICK...
the ban on crandon..does it apply to the south side of the causeway just
west of the seaquarium? or is it further into the park...
we are headed down their the 23rd..if the ban is all along that beach..do
you know of any alternative launch sites nearby that we can use...
thanks..and i hope you are doing great..
Steve Pere
kitesrfer@aol.com wrote: Currently, it is planned to have a short meeting
with area coordinators that
are available and other interested parties in the convention center at 9 am,
Saturday, September 22, 2001. The exact location within the Center will be
announced that morning. The meeting agenda will include meeting area
coordinators in attendance, review of FKA goals and methods, seeking
membership and related matters.

Thanks,
Rick Iossi
>>

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Can't Re-member

thanks guys!

I shouldn't write the rest of what I really feel like writing........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................
Old 03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Todd was at Hobie that day as well, although he was way offshore on the sand bar where everyone else should have been. He posted the following:

"I would like to say that I was at Hobie Beach that day and watched "a" and "b" riding next to the beach, kitelooping, etc - basically riding like neanderthals. If this had been the first incident at Hobie Beach, then I doubt the authorities would have instituted the ban. The fact that there have been consistent problems at this location required intervention by local authorities, it's the only riding location in SE Florida for SW to W winds (and thus people like "a" and "b" will drive from other counties to ride there), and there are no posted rules or warnings, the ban isn't a surprise to me.

I agree that "a" and "b" were a big part of the problem this weekend, but there were plenty of other riders breaking the law or just plain riding stupidly. I'm by no means sticking up for them, but I am saying that it was a matter of time before this beach was closed because it was totally out of control. There are swim buoys at this location and we are obviously not allowed to ride inside the swim buoys just like anywhere else in Florida. Also, there were at least three lessons being taught inside the swim buoys which is just downright dangerous for the students that put their lives in the hands of these paid professionals. There is a highway less than 200 feet from the water's edge and the wind was side-on shore and about 5 to 20 mph in the morning increasing the 20+ in the afternoon. West winds are always very gusty and dangerous in Miami. In clear skies, we often see gusts in excess of 20 knots over the average wind speed. My point is that rather than making this a witch hunt, there is something that can be learned here.

Here is what I have learned from this situation:
1/ If you are a local at a spot and there is someone riding like an idiot, protect your riding spot - say something. If they don't listen, call the police if you feel that they are either endangering lives or are going to cause a ban to the spot. It's a lot easier to keep a spot open than to try to get one reopened. I wish I had done more over the years to help save this spot. Instead, I stopped riding there for two years and just recently have been going back.
2/ Just because a rider is very experienced and has been doing this for a long time doesn't mean they are smart or know how to reason. Clearly this has been the case at nearly all beach closures in Miami spanning from Crandon Park to Virginia Key and now to Hobie Beach/Rickenbacher Causeway with "a" and "b". Be careful who you choose to look up to in this sport. Riders who think they are cool are often the lame ones.
3/ The people that may seem the most obviously connected to a banning like at Hobie Beach generally are not fully to blame. In this case, there have been plenty of people that knowingly rode wrecklessly over the years because they had a "right" to do so. Now they have the "right" to play Xbox on a windy SW wind, or pay Christophe at Miami Kiteboarding whatever he charges for his water taxi service to go to Stiltsville or West Point to kite (these places are only accessible by boat and work well for SW-NW winds).
4/ Beginners rarely are to blame for beach closures. Generally, people point the fingers at beginners because they tend to get in the way while they are building their skills. However, I don't know of any instances where a beginner has caused a beach to be closed to kiting. If they are with an instructor, then they are the instructor's responsibility and you should be pointing the finger at the instructor if you see bad behavior.
5/ Casual observers that don't understand the danger of kiteboarding and often reward bad behavior. Of course if you don't understand that your kid could be decapitated, or someone's loose kite could pick you up by the chin and throw you onto a four lane highway, you would be thrilled to see someone doing tricks right up at the beach. Observers were seen clapping, fist pumping and whistling on Sunday not knowing that they were one butt check away from getting maimed.
6/ Just because someone is a certified instructor, that doesn't make them right. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion if you see inappropriate behavior by an instructor. Remember that organizations like PASA and IKO don't need bad press and you are doing them a favor if you consistently observe instances of inappropriate instruction and decide to inform them.
7/ If your riding spot requires rules, see if you can have them posted on a sign if possible, temporary sign, and/or if local schools and retailers will post rules in their facilities. Most importantly, spread the word. We have a lot of visitors in Miami and it's a constant job to let visitors and tourists know about the local rules. I welcome all visitors, but there are rules - no biggie. Also, inform the local authorities of the rules and have THEM enforce the rules.

Get organized and think about what will happen to your own kiting spots as the kiting population grows..."

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-19-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Not sure what kiters were consulted previously, but we're trying to have discussions with authorities now.

Yes, it is my understanding there were incidents, frustrating deputies and inspectors with the authority in the past, more than once. I haven't been there during these incidents and so can't say with certainty who did what. This is a real bad way to try to protect your privilege to do anything. Kiters have been arrested before for what has been reported. It isn't that hard if the authorities set their mind to it. We would do well to spare them and ourselves this exercise in disrespect and stupidity on the part of the kiter. This is yet another area where peer pressure is needed to keep things sane and respectful. 99% percent of kiters won't do this, why allow yourselves to be represented badly by those that do? Get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleshooter View Post
Who exactly are the "local kiters" they consulted with on this matter.

Is it true there was also a confrontation with law enforcement?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.