FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-25-2006, 06:19 PM

Default NEW KEYS EVENT? was ... Islamorada Invitational

I am trying to find out if this event is going to happen this year. Rick have you heard anything yet?

Thanks
-Chris
Old 01-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Islamorada Invitational?

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcmoore
I am trying to find out if this event is going to happen this year. Rick have you heard anything yet?

Thanks
-Chris
Brad has been out of town and just returned today I understand. I have yet to talk with him unfortunately. Per two people who should know currently Brad is not planning on holding the event for the first year in five sad to say. I heard tonight that another party MAY work to put the event on this year.

Fingers crossed,

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-26-2006, 06:26 AM

Thanks Rick... This is what I have heard too. I am sure Islamorada will feel the effects of this in thier pockets since the event is canceled.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It's official, Brad has pulled the plug on this year's Islamorada Invitational. Whether someone else will step in or if it will be held next year, time will tell.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-02-2006, 08:15 PM
kiteflix

That is a shame but I can understand. It seems like a lot of work, little money and mostly a thanksless job to throw an event. But it will be missed. Is anyone else stepping in to fill the void?
Old 03-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Neil 1

Not sure yet but would like to do a Boarder X. Maybe at Bahia Honda State park and camp there for the weekend, anyone interested? Neil
Old 03-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Neil,

Bahia Honda is the spot for sure.
Kitestock..
Lets do it !

E
Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 AM
waterboards

sound like a good play to me, plan it so people will have time to get a place to stay. that would just be a blast, week end kite camp party.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil 1
Not sure yet but would like to do a Boarder X. Maybe at Bahia Honda State park and camp there for the weekend, anyone interested? Neil
Hey Neil,

Bahia Honda would be a great venue for riders and spectators. I have also heard that the State campgrounds in the Keys book out about 4 months ahead. I just called and apparently it is now booked out about 11 months! Does anyone have an in that could get us in there sooner?

As a possible alternate that we could try to pull off this season, I was thinking that you see all these small mom and pop hotels on the Straits side of the Keys. Many of these have nearshore shallows and sandbars. We could try to take one of those over with bookings for a weekend in the near future and have the event off their property?

Also, there are sections of vacant property bordered by resorts/bars in places. We might be able to setup off the vacant area to try to avoid hassles and have the spectators at the adjoining developed area.

Other ideas out there? It would be great to pull this off this season. You are doing an incredible job of organizing these boardercross races Neil!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Neil 1

Thanks Rick, If we can not stay at BH, not quite sure where we can do it. We need a location where we can stay, launch easily from shore, enough room for 30 kites at least on beach, spectators to watch and hopefully somewhere to get a bite to eat and a drink.
I know this sounds like a lot but I am sure irs out there somewhere. If anyone has any cotacts or any ideas please post them here or let me know directly.
It does not for sure have to be in the Keys, even though we need something there. Lets all come up with some cool venues for Boarder X's and I will work on the rest. Will have the event website up next week hopefully.
Cheers all for your support, I could NOT do it without you. Neil