FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Crandon Regulations, Fact or Fiction?

Greetings Miami Kiters,

I live in the SF Bay area and have been traveling for work to Miami quite regularly in recent months. I expect to keep going back several more times over the winter and hope to get some riding in.

I went to Crandon about a month ago on a non-windy day just to check the place out and spoke to the lifeguard and asked him what are the rules for riding there (I've heard you have to be certified, helmet, etc).

He said, you're "supposed" to wear a helmet, but not everyone does and said nothing about certification. He didn't seem like he cared much about enforcing these regulations.

What are the rules? Who enforces them if not the lifeguards?

Thanks,

Alonso

PS - which is the closest kiting spot to Coral Gables?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Crandon Regulations, Fact or Fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso
Greetings Miami Kiters,

I live in the SF Bay area and have been traveling for work to Miami quite regularly in recent months. I expect to keep going back several more times over the winter and hope to get some riding in.

I went to Crandon about a month ago on a non-windy day just to check the place out and spoke to the lifeguard and asked him what are the rules for riding there (I've heard you have to be certified, helmet, etc).

He said, you're "supposed" to wear a helmet, but not everyone does and said nothing about certification. He didn't seem like he cared much about enforcing these regulations.

What are the rules? Who enforces them if not the lifeguards?

Thanks,

Alonso

PS - which is the closest kiting spot to Coral Gables?
The lifeguards traditionally have not wanted to enforce the rules at Crandon. Ultimately, WE are the ones that try to enforce things to maintain access. The Park Manager, not the lifeguards, if the one that has allowed us to ride at the park with some notable interuptions.

Here is the way it has gone in the past. Guys ride however they feel, cause enough complaints and concerns to where the Park suspends kiteboarding.

We have a series of meetings, try to workout some reasonable ideas to maintain access attempt to self police and sometimes have been let back into to ride there. Sometimes we have had to do more to try to get back in.

The latest set of rules are the most comprehensive yet (see below). If enough guys ignore them, we will likely be shut out again perhaps finally this time. It would be great for the majority to just accept what it takes to ride there and take a few simple steps to protect it.

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=498

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi