FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-09-2010, 07:28 PM
damion_dark

Default Are you allowed to kitesurf in Lake Boca?

Lake Boca seems to be on the inter-coastal. I've seen a lot of boats congregate on Sundays and lounge around. But my question is.....Is kitesurfing allowed here?

here is the link.....

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lake+boca+fl& sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.489543,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hne ar=Lake+Boca+Raton&t=h&z=14>

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that it is unsafe to swim in inlets because of sharks....Is that true?????
Old 02-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sure you are allowed to kitesurf there. Live quite close by to it. Question is, why would anyone want to assuming that they could feasibly do it which seems doubtful?!

It is bounded by tall condominiums and hotel towers to the west, south and east likely creating incredibly poor wind conditions, highs and lows in other words. A very good chance your kite would stall, fall like a rock and perhaps drag you with the currents beneath the bridges to the south or north or tangle in some boats propellor. There is no beach to launch from only seawalls with lots of oysters. You could launch from a boat but as you have probably noticed the place gets clogged with them. It is a small water body and a poor riding location. Sharks although likely cruising through the area seem to be the least of your problems. You really need to look elsewhere.

Why Lake Boca with all the beach areas around, hopefully well away from the lifeguards? If you want a west wind spot, I would look north to Sebastian Inlet or to sea tax in Biscayne Bay or Florida Bay from the Keys.

If you are trying to find a place without sharks in Florida, Lake Okeechobee comes to mind. Still, there you have wind shadowed irregular winds and alligators in places I'm told. There are no shortage of sharks in marine waters of Florida, it is just the way it is. The good news is they almost always leave us alone. How many times have you been bitten by dogs? More times in my case than I can recall. Only been bitten by one shark and I earned that by picking it up to show some friends and then throwing it out of the water to avoid getting bitten, I thought as a teen. They really haven't been a problem in the vast majority of the hundreds of thousands of kiting hours Florida riders have put in.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
damion_dark

Oh no I meant like legally? I don't know whether or not kitesurfing was allowed in Lake Boca or the inter-coastal in general. I know the marine patrols are strict such as NO WAKE, and no fishing without a license and all. Wow I didn't think the buildings surrounding the area could affect the wind so much. I asked because I was looking on google earth at lakes in South Florida area which seemed like quite a big lake for kitesurfing. Bigger than most in my area. Where is sea tax? Is it by Candon Park?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

It isn't feasible to kite in Lake Boca, it is too small, has too much wind shadow and if often too crowded. Wouldn't surprise me if the Boca boat police might roust you and be doing you a favor too. Much of the ICW is too narrow with excessive wind shadow for ready (fun) kiting in SE mainland Florida. Way north around Sebastian and south around Biscayne Bay things widen up sufficiently for better riding as a generality. If you are windsurfing tons of those lakes would work, kites are more sensitive to gusts and lulls. The more you have the less fun it is and potentially more dangerous. If you are new to kiting you need to stay out of these confined, wind shadowed areas and seek wider spaces. As far as sea taxi in Biscayne Bay you could get in touch with miamikiteboarding.com.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM
damion_dark

Oh Sea Taxi. Yeah I've heard of those. Yeah I figured that kitesurfing there wasn't ideal but just wanted to double check. I barely have gas to get down to Cutler Bay but hopefully will in the coming months. Biscayne Bay does seem pretty good. Its huge. That would be nice if the tri-rail or metro rail stopped right next to it. I gotta go check out the train maps. Thank again.