FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Skyway Scott

Default Thing of beauty/ but NB ranger a tad mad

Definitely ended up sweet today. It started kinda' shaky, but at about 1pm, someone hit the "fill in to 20 and stay there, switch" and it came more NW.
Pretty nice. About 15 or so kiters and 15 or so windsurfers were out there.

That makes 8 weekends straight, some of them both days (maybe tomorrow)?

Heads up on riding out there. I guess the ranger got a little pissed about guys (mainly windsurfers.. but a couple of us too, and we are lumped together, by the way) were riding in the swim zone. He wants us more up North, toward the pass and away from the swim area and definitely not in the swim zone.
3 other guys told me this, and all the stories sounded like he was pissed.

Otherwise, nice day.

Oh, it was also said that we are "locked out" of NB starting April 12th due to bird season.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:19 PM

yeah i heard the same thing from people.

we asked the ranger if it was okay to ride in that little lagoon thats right by where we ride.. he said thats fine, as long as we are north of the swim zone they don't care.

i tryed to ride in there.. but there was to much of a wind shadow.

would be good on a west.

now idk if it varies from ranger to ranger.. but the one we talked to today said we can. i wouldn't push it tho.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Skyway Scott

Yeah,

I know you got permission first Josh, and I wasn't going to mention since I figured it prolly sucked in there. But, since you did, and we know that you asked first and got the okay, I would recommend we don't ride in there. I have been told on multiple occasions by Jim Wilson (the only one that ultimately matters) not to ride in there.
Bird watchers would shit themselves if they saw you in there, and throw a fit.
He has a lot of pressure on him from them to keep us away from that area due to nesting birds this time of year (rightly so, imo).

I also don't think all the rangers say the same thing to us with any consistency, as you said. Last year, they wanted us away from the north point, more down toward big beach, this year (this one ranger, anyway) wants us as far north as possible and then gave you a green light to ride in the forbidden zone. Weird.. and kinda funny, too.

(σχίζω - φρήν)
Old 03-17-2007, 05:45 PM

yeah.. i really don't ever plan no riding there.. never any intentions to again.. but since i got an okay.. i was like what the hell i'll give it a try.. I wasn't the one that asked.. it was roy. i figured he'd say no.

thought it would suck anyways
Old 03-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Skyway Scott

Funny stuff. "Hey Mr. Ranger , can I do what you told me not to?"

"Of course son, rip it up!!" Funny.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:05 PM

no offense to anyone here but...north beach is over rated.
now that we have spring breakers thrown into the mix we should be doing downwinders.
we should be carving waves 100% & getting upwind 0% of the time...
not carving 25% and getting upwind 75%.
i bet someone is saying..."i don't have any problems getting up wind"...
that's not the point...the point iz...we have a trolley!!!
on a downwinder you slash one and then look for the next...and so on
at NB you carve one and now you're in the swim zone so you have to tack up wind for 5 minutes between each carve.
now the ranger is skitzo<<<<fargin bastage, make up your mind b4 i swarsh your fargin boils.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Skyway Scott

I agree with you about the downwinders and I really wanted to do one, I wish it was blowing NW when I woke up yesterday.

Thing is, downwinders bite on due Norths unless you start North of where the trolleys are, and I wasn't sure if it was gonna go NW (it wasn't forecast to), hindsight.

North beach, imo, is our best spot on a due North. Not many places to ride due Norths (with clean wind) until you get past IRB.

In the upcoming months, I agree, no need to go to NB for seabreeze induced NWs.
Doing downwinders or riding at beaches with girls screaming with glee makes much more since (especially if you are single and under 40).
Old 03-20-2007, 07:28 AM

Default Ranger

Yup, I talk to the Ranger and he said it was cool to ride in the lagoon. I was shocked, I asked him again and pointed to the area I was talking about to make sure. I have heard conflicting information about the lagoon. I have heard guys said you can ride in there, and some say you can not thats why I wanted to ask. LOL That Ranger must not of known of the Bird Watchers, or was just new I am guessing.. Yeah lets not piss the Bird Watcher group off. Bird Watchers tend to be organized and can get us ban.

He also did say that he was not to happy about people riding in the swim area. I always walk way up the beach to stay away from the swim area, plus the current is not as strong up there.

I am with you Scott, lets do some downwinders to the Tow. You just have to promise me to crash a lot when we get to the Tow to make me look better since I fall in that "under 40 and single category!" LOL

RS
Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 AM
invisible

It's true..the bird watchers (protectors) are the biggest threat to us riding at N.B. Jim (ranger) mentioned that there are certain times of the year that they definitely do not want to see us riding at N.B... (because it's the bird's mating season and kites look like really really big bird eating monster birds).

I thought this whole thing was ridiculous until I saw a big hawk catch and eat a morning dove the other day. I guess birds fear bigger birds for a reason.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 PM

Wink

Yeah, I saw that happen once too! Rick Day's "really really big bird eating monster bird" ate Dennis' brand new "really really big bird eating monster bird" earlier this season.

Does that qualify us as bird watchers too?