FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
Don
I would feel more comfortable with a QR in a scenario of being on a 17m waroo in a gust to 35.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM
popeye

If the QR on the waroo actually did something other than place the bar out of reach ........... lol. Fortunately the leash usually breaks instead of dragging you.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 PM

when i had my line snap on my 9m waroo and the kite was looping .. it was slowing building power on every loop.. i had to hit the QR and it was a reality check that all it did was send the bar further away and still looping..

now.. that was an 06 bar w/o the dual lines (double the depower length).. i have not had the pleasure of dropping the kite on those lines yet..

anyone?

does the extra 20 inch of depower make a huge difference .. or just different problems?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-10-2007, 01:10 PM

bryan, FYI, the double depower does not mean length...
its exactly the same as a single lines in respect to the amoutn of depower......
Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanleighty View Post
does the extra 20 inch of depower make a huge difference .. or just different problems?
The double CL line only does one thing... it automatically releases the stopper ball. The depower amount is exactly the same as if you just let go of the bar while hooked in.

You only have two options with a waroo when you are overpowered and in trouble:

1) Crash the kite and grab or move your leash to the outside line before it relaunches. DONT FORGET TO UNDO THE VELCRO or the kite will relaunch and start looping immediately.

2) Pull the safety and then the leash release and ditch the kite completely.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
The double CL line only does one thing... it automatically releases the stopper ball. The depower amount is exactly the same as if you just let go of the bar while hooked in.

You only have two options with a waroo when you are overpowered and in trouble:

1) Crash the kite and grab or move your leash to the outside line before it relaunches. DONT FORGET TO UNDO THE VELCRO or the kite will relaunch and start looping immediately.

2) Pull the safety and then the leash release and ditch the kite completely.
this is why i switched back to fifth lines.... with (almost) any bow kite, if the wind goes from 15-35 and your leashed to the CL, your in trouble, they have great depower, but when you reach the limit.... then what????
with a Ckite, if it goes from 15-35 you just release to the fifth and the kite fully depowers, much safer for our fronts/squalls that we get alot....

also if the wind spikes and your ready for it, you just have to grab teh fifth line and pull in about 2-3 ft and your good, wait a few minutes for it to settle down and your off
Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 PM

tom.. that does not make sense.. i understand that it pulls thru the stopper.. but if the depower line is 20 inches X 2 (doubled over) .. when you release it should give a 40 inch depower right?

i assume this is still not enough to safely flag a kite...

check my next post.. creating a new forum thread..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
popeye

It can only pull the depower strap to your bar... it just takes twice as much rope to do it because of the 2:1 advantage. The kite doesn't flag. It keeps flying.

The "safety" on a waroo is it's 90% depower. When you let go of the bar, that's the safety UNLESS you connect the leash to one of the outside lines in which case you have 98% depower and the kite is killed (well, spinning on one line anyway).

Using the chicken loop safety is effectively a "suicide leash" but with an automatically releasing stopper mechanism.

In 90% of the cases it is sufficient... but if the kite is looping or you are getting lofted you are screwed. Your only option is to ditch the kite.

FWIW this is why so many waroos got released the other day when it went from 15 to 35 ... really there is no other option but to ditch the kite (unless you connected to an outside line).
Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
I meant I would rather pull a QR in a total sh.t storm than try to unhook by the Billy method.
I've been hit by sustained storm winds of 50 plus knots of wind on an 11m C and pulled the QR and had it work. I would never try to pull out of the C-loop as my first option in that scenario. Bayflite and Billy were there that day. We saw the storm coming but pushed it a tad too long. We were going back to where we started (a ten minute run) when we got drilled.

I too have had a Surefire fail. It bent on me in an Oh-#$t scenario and kept me locked in.
The kite was looping out of control going toward shore at the SW.
If it wasn't for Zack Kaplan, odds are high I would have died. Odds are 100% I would have bare minimum broken a lot of stuff. He jumped on the kite and it's lines and stopped the kite. He cut his hand pretty bad. It was an honest to goodness hero move and I'll never forget it.

I never gave that Unsure not release system a second chance.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 PM

all great points.
can't deney that.
peace