FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Skyway Scott

Steve,

Doppler looks pretty good. Looks like wind, but the forecast says no.
I am gonna hope for right around 13 knots, SSW at 2 pm. It says 12 SE at the SkyWay right now.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Looked rideable at EB this morning. It just dropped to 10 on the Clw sensor. Oh well, a day at the beach is much more fun than yardwork anyway...
Old 08-02-2008, 10:39 AM

Good deal and thanks for the input. I'm speaking with someone already that has a 154 Spleene. Its an 07 but I can't believe the year matters much considering the reduced price from this years model.

I tried the 16M Contra and was not overly excited about the bar or kite turn speed. Very nice looking kite though. I'm certainly not married to the ION, especially if there is another kite that will give me a little more low end.

In looking at this months Kiteboarding Magazine, it appears as though most of the company's are topping out at 14m and 15m kites. I knew that my 15m ION was a little small but was now more concerned that larger 16m and 17m would not be available. Its sounds like if I'm reading your responses correctly, I can get as much light wind ridding in as I need as long as I switch to another brand like an Era or Waroo??

Thanks for the help....

Big G!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Skyway Scott

Yep Steve, wind took a dump.

Gary, I think the board is gonna do wonders for you in really light stuff.

I also think the 15m Ion isn't a very good light wind kite. Many other brand's 15m size will smoke that thing in sub 12, imo

There's only one BIG problem. We don't even get 9 to 11 knots most days lately
Old 08-02-2008, 05:31 PM

I sent the payment today for the Spleene so It should be here in about a week. What about the 14m Royal Era, ya think thats going perform any better than a 15m Ion? Seems like a slightly larger kite would have more low end if it has more material.

I know we arent getting much wind now but I'm going to try and get out a few more days this season. The last 2 times I went out, I was unable to stay up wind yet a couple other guys were riding and doing just fine. Both times the wind really never got crankin so I struggled with diving my ION and Dimitri Pro while watching them tack back and forth.I'm trying to put together a set up that will give me at least the chance to tack even if it never gets juiced.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I sent the payment today for the Spleene so It should be here in about a week. What about the 14m Royal Era, ya think thats going perform any better than a 15m Ion? Seems like a slightly larger kite would have more low end if it has more material.

I know we arent getting much wind now but I'm going to try and get out a few more days this season. The last 2 times I went out, I was unable to stay up wind yet a couple other guys were riding and doing just fine. Both times the wind really never got crankin so I struggled with diving my ION and Dimitri Pro while watching them tack back and forth.I'm trying to put together a set up that will give me at least the chance to tack even if it never gets juiced.
Wow, that was fast on that Spleene. If it's low end you are looking for though, that board is unreal. I can't see you disappointed.

Yes, imo, it's hard to get much worse than the 15m Ion for light wind (sorry) with today's kite choices, so the 14m Era will smoke it, hands down, as will many other kites. It's definitely more about the cut and efficiency of the kites now, not so much size. We use to ride 19-23 m C kites that couldn't hold a candle to today's 15m SLEs.

I would try to demo any new 14m -- 17m. Everyone has different likes. Actually though, I would ride that Spleene first, back to back with your SW for a full day while still on your Ion, just so you can get a feel for how much the board makes a difference, first. Otherwise, you might credit the demo kite for everything.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Spleene Boards

Is your board a Door, or a Session? I have a Spleene 159 Door and it's an upwind machine in light winds, and it brings you back to your spot when everyone else is doing "the walk". However, there is one peculiarity if it's a Door. I don't know about last year's model, but mine is the 2008 and has an offset fin configuration. There are four fins altogether; two different sizes. The smaller set goes in the usual location on the heelside edge. The larger ones are located just a bit inboard of the smaller ones and closer to the centerline, still on the heelside. So whenever you're riding heelside you've got the benefit of four fins. If you go to toeside, however, there are no fins there. The rails are really pretty thin, so it's not that much of a problem, but still not as efficient in light winds. I guess the offset fin set-up is what enables the board to track upwind so well. Just a little pressure on the back foot and it seems to go into turbo mode upwind. I can see why some schools teach with the Spleene.

Frank
Old 08-02-2008, 11:37 PM

Its an 07 Door. I don't waist much time when I get advise from you more experienced riders. I figure if your at a point when your asking for advice, you should be at a ready to make a decision.

Now I'm looking for a Royal 14m since I believe this is the largest size they make. I figure I can move the ION quickly on ikite if needed. I havent bought a new kite in a few seasons so I ready. If the weather was better, I would probably just try and get by with my current 15m Ion(06),12m Waroo (06) and 11m Waroo (07). As you can see, Im due for a new kite.

Hell, I'm still using the same Dimitri Pro I bought from you Scott. Its time for a few upgrade with the coming season. Thanks for the advise.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:16 AM

I am 280lb and found to be the contra 3 17m to be the kite for big guys, I can hold ground in 14mph with my Crazyfly 145x48 pro. The kite has a really good low end put still turns fast for it's size and hold power though it's turn. The depower is also unreal and I can hold it down to around 25mph especially if i move to a smaller board. The only downside is that it does have some bar pressure (I prefer some bar pressure, I know others do not). It is also a good racing kite and the upwind is great.

Just my thought, oh and you can get them brand new for 1,000 bucks right now.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:45 AM

Look for a used 19m Speed 2 even a 17m or 15m would still be better than anything that needs a pump. There is just no comparison IMO. My 17 contra will never see the light of day again. I bought my 19m for less than half price. I have had a lot of sessions this summer. This kite makes the summer fun here in the Bay area. 8 to 9 kts and you are mowing the lawn staying up wind with out working the kite. 10 kts and you are mowing the lawn with jumping kiteloop tansitions at both ends of the lawn. Heck I mowed all the way around 3 rooker then the entire area between 3 rooker and Hurricane pass last Monday. Surfing the baby swells with light wind can be very entertaining.

With time on the kite you will find out where the name comes from. On the glide or my surfboard it has become fairly easy to work the angles and get the apparent wind cranking making headway around double the wind speed it takes several hundred yards to get it all to come together but once it is cranked up it's pretty wild looking, to see this thing comming down the coast at warp 8 with no whitecaps on the water just the spray off the board.