FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM

I agree with you to an extent. Did he learn from you H? If so, maybe this is a rare exception but learning from a regular schmoe just isn't cool...not to mention dangerous.

I feel that having a certified instructor train and certify someone leaves a level of 'responsibility' for that new kiters actions on the instructor. If I go and teach Amber, for instance and she kills someone, the liability stops with that rider. The reason people need to be certified to teach in most cases is liability which ensures a good and thorough lesson because these instructors are watching their own backs as well as their students'...

It just isn't safe to say it's okay for a kiter who is 'experienced' after 'riding for over a year' has the right to put someone on the water. The only non-certified guys that should be teaching are guys who have been around for at least 3-4 years IMO, THAT is how I REALLY feel good buddy!!!! :P :wink:
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
E-Bone

H wrote:
Quote:
Respect is earned on and around the water. It doesn't come from a certificate.
That's right on, H, and that's the good news for developing kiters. No one dislikes a noob because he or she is a noob. If you take it easy and don't do reckless things you will make friends fast, and those friends will hook you up.

When I showed up here in 2003, I had been kiting since 2001 but I was still green because I had been stuck in grad school in Gainesville for three years without a ton of water time. The Sarasota and Tampa crews took me in and a lot of local riders stepped up and took over my kite education.

Between everyone here and the St. Augustine crew, I have had a lot of kiters help my development over the years, and it is still going on with some of the local rippers teaching me some stupid tricks I shouldn't even try with these old bones.

Part of getting that helping hand, however, is not biting the hand that feeds you. Treat your local scene right and listen to the more experienced riders.

Besides, it is better to pay for wisdom with someone else's flesh.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 AM

lessons from instructors are great if you are a good student.. some are not.. some can get up and ride the next day.. some take a month or so of constant salt-water-eating-throw-thru-the-muck (like me).

Dan and I took our lessons together.. we learned to kite together .. one on land ..one trying to get up and ride.. sh*t hit the fan.. the other would be there to help out or assist.

The buddy system is the BEST way to learn. We did not learn quickly and we did some stupid ass stuff more than a couple times.. but we never put others in harms way and always stayed clear..

BUT...

I guess i am still stuck at the "what do you do when you see someone practicing unsafe kiting?".

I am going to do my best to approach the rider(s), introduce myself and get a feel for their experience and see if i can help them out. I know that when i was green, i knew the basics but a few pointers could have gone a long ways. if they are lesson-less and cop attitude I am not going to push anything but i might wrangle in some locals to help me 'persuade' the rider(s) to consider what they are trying to do.

I've seen other locals do this with success. its all about the right attitude..

I'm thinking of making up some quick flyers (similar to what ive seen from Hatteras) with a map of the area showing launch spots rated from beginner to expert and wind conditions. giving these out to newbies.. putting the names and numbers of local instructors on it might help too..
riders that have been here for a while need to step up help the new riders if for no other reason but to ensure that you'll have a place to ride next season.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-18-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bone
Between everyone here and the St. Augustine crew, I have had a lot of kiters help my development over the years, and it is still going on with some of the local rippers teaching me some stupid tricks I shouldn't even try with these old bones.
Yeah E-Bone, I'll keep trying to help you in your development with teaching you as best I can... :P :lol:
Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 PM
E-Bone

Yes, Toby, you did offer instruction to me but I decided I wasn't interested in learing tricks such as the (insert bizarre, aberrant sex-themed trick names here).

:shock:
Old 10-18-2006, 12:23 PM

Bryan-
I think your last post was right on the money. Most of us "don't bite the hand that feeds us" and that includes friends and instructors. I think that the number one concern for everyone should be safety. If any of us (new or old) sees someone attempting to or start to do something that looks dangerous/stupid, etc it is necessary to step up and say something.

I know its easy to get frustrated with these people and to tell them to find somewhere else to ride. However, if they're attempting to launch a kite straight downwind, etc it may only take one minute of someone's time and the guy can learn the correct way and will probably never do it again. I think a lot of times people are NOT trying to be stupid and dangerous... they just don't know, or are confused. If they get cocky with you and tell you off, all 5'3 of me has got your back. (I bet I could convince my 6'6 boyfriend to step in too).

Seriously though, try to keep your cool, definitely say something, and take it from there. I think the flyers are a great idea. You know those plastic things people put in their front yards to sell their house? The things that say "take one" or whatever? We could stick one of those at EB, maybe Skyway, etc with an info flyer with the info you mentioned.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 PM
tomstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I know its easy to get frustrated with these people and to tell them to find somewhere else to ride.
When an experienced rider tells a newbie to ride somewhere else (around here anyway), its usually because they are looking out for the newbie, not because they are frustrated with them.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:16 PM

It's okay Tom, I am helping in the teaching of Amber, so with my expertise in the sport :roll: , noone has anything to worry about where SHE rides!!! :shock: :lol:
Old 10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
tomstock

No reason for newbies to get defensive... I'm one too. I've only been riding for about a year and a half now. Yeah I can jump and do a few easy tricks, but in my book, less than 2 years means I'm still a beginner... so if I show up at a new spot and someone tells me it's a bad idea for me to ride there, you can bet your rear end I'll listen! A good example of this is St. Augustine. I haven't ridden there yet, but if I go out there and try to ride somewhere thats over my head (whether it be obstacles, current, whatever)... I expect someone to recommend a better spot and yeah I'll listen to them, no problem at all. I'd rather avoid a problem than become one.

When I started riding my instructor told me clearly where to ride and where NOT to ride. East beach and the skyway were the places to avoid. I did not ride there until I was "given the nod" by an experienced rider.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:32 PM

I hope it was obvious that I was being sarcastic in that last post... ops: