FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Course Racing Boards, Some Images From Races Past

Looks like course racing is really coming into its own. May even be an Olympic Event one of these days. Kent was telling me with the right kites, they can run these races in as low as 8 kts.. That opens up a lot of options in these years of uneven wind. Here are some photos of a few boards and riders in some past events in SE Florida.

This is what it is all about. Matt shreds for the mark closely pursued by Garry at the Kiteboard Masters last month. Melissa rounded and is running outbound in the background.

Damo sports his Cabrinha board shaped by Aguera at KB Masters. I believe he rode this in the World Championship in Texas.

Fins are growing

The course boards are getting beamer with less taper with longer, more narrow fins.

Garry rips on one of his home crafted boards last month. He has turned out quite a few intriguing shapes.

Flashback to last year in Islamorada. Damo using a smaller, less beamy course board.

Damo corners last year in a race in Miami

Kent with at KB Masters wired for video and sound last month in Miami. Has been capturing a lot of nice video.

Another Alex Aguera shaped board.

Some of the guys between heats.

Kent leads the race

Garry with last year's board at the 2009 KB Masters, looking beamy.

The Ribots at this years KB Masters

Josh in Miami this year with some serious fins

Gebi with his course board last year at the Islamorada Invitational

Matt at this years KB Masters in Miami

Not sure, that may be a North course board under that spray

Kent is always experimenting with boards, shown here in from a free riding session early last year. Smaller board, trying multiple fins of varying dimensions.

Melissa stretches with her board at last years KB Masters. Garry strolls behind with his then new beamy board shape. Was the first one of that type that I had come across in kiting.

No back foot strap on this beamy model but a full deck pad. Jibing is a touchy part of course racing, every once in a while it takes a bit longer than at others. Then there is the odd wipeout too. Footwork, balance and kite placement are critical.

Have some other photos to locate and put up. More to come on course racing. Stay tuned ...

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-03-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

So, what traits do you like in a good course board? What are the variables you consider?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Racing looks like a lot of fun. Any tips/thraeds/websites to point me to on how to get in to it? I'm not super competitive, but think it'd be a good time. Anyone out there want to teach a youngun racing?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarShredd View Post
Racing looks like a lot of fun. Any tips/thraeds/websites to point me to on how to get in to it? I'm not super competitive, but think it'd be a good time. Anyone out there want to teach a youngun racing?
I would talk to Kent, Josh, Garry, Patrick or Gebi about this. They are all into it and I recall have regular rides during the Shake-A-Leg evening race series down in Coconut Grove. There are threads on here about board types but all pretty dated. I think Cabrinha is putting out a production board for course racing. I believe it is the one Damo used at the World competition recently. It should be available through the ASM stores in Miami also you could get in touch with some of the guys there about course racing.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi