FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
would bouys really make it safer? It would seem that a bouy could tangle with downed kitelines and create a different set of hazards...
probably 99% of downed kites are due to people trying tricks, whether it be an inverted handlepass or a backroll.....

so the bouys might actually encourage them to stay further away.....
Old 09-11-2007, 10:59 AM
popeye

Well after seeing the skyway lately... it's not the skill level which is the current problem... it's the advanced riders jumping close to shore.

I too mistakingly thought it was beginners out there who were most at risk but that seems to be a gross error at least on my part.

But like Scott said... it's hard to walk over to someone who has been riding longer and is obviously a much more advanced rider and ask them to ride further out.

I tried once but was told they needed to land close to shore in case they got hurt. To me that just sounds off since shallow water is where you are most likely to get hurt.

Now I'm not really trying to blame the advanced riders... because I think the REAL reason this happens is because the contests promote doing tricks close to shore... the more likely you are to get busted up the higher the points (and this goes with just about any extreme sport). This is just the mentality of ANY extreme sport.

That's just how it is. So, placing this in perspective... maybe it's just not possible to convince advanced riders to stay further out without changing the entire mentality of the sport? It would be like taking gaps, handrails, and stairs away from the skateboarders. That's not a challenge I would like to take on, and honestly I am not sure I am interested in turning an extreme sport into a nerf football and a safety net.

So what now! No idea!

It certainly doesn't hurt to convince the next generation of riders to jump further out... after all they are not riding pro contests and have no reason to be taking such risks.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Dude, Where's my Kite???

Last edited by kite-4-life; 10-16-2007 at 05:04 PM. Reason: its a fetish of mine.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite-4-life View Post
Everyone jumping/transitioning too close to shore is something we ALL have to work on. Talking this out with advanced riders also needs to be done and I will do my part, in a constructive manner.
thoughts on tag system anyone?
this is why i think we need the bouys, i am guilty of jumping to close to shore, but most of the time it is becuase i am not really thinking about it, jsut having fun and showing off, if there were bouys it would be a lot easie to stay on the outside of them......
Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Default My 5th post ever, sorry if I miss counted earlier.

Upon reading all of the posts I will offer my sage wisdom. Why should I have credibility in this.... well read on and see if it makes sense. First of all the Great Stormatzio just isn't an internet lurker and kiteboarder, but has a PhD in sociology specifically in the study of group dynamics and this is what our subject is all about. The basic problem is that are launches are getting crowded and people are infringing on other peoples rights (ie. safety, area to fly, jump, etc.). This is happening on both sides of the argument. A newbie would argue that the Vets are concerned that new kiters are getting in their way and don't know the rules. The newbies just want to fly and not get hassled. Using the social theory of X/Y one could surmise that no one person wants to upset the group and everyone in reality just wants to get along. Problems occur when communication fails and people are not aware of the "rules of the group".

I think at this point in our evolution the sign idea is an awesome idea. First of all what it actually tells people is that there is a group of people on this beach that care about our sport and if you act like a punk we are going to call you out. I read the sign and didn't remember if there was anything saying that this was posted by local kiters. That will bring the message home that the guys who put the sign up are probably hanging out on the beach. That gets into another theory of self appointed mindguards.

The bottom line to this discussion is that the sign will make everyone responsible for enforcement of the rules and everyone on notice that we care about our beach.

Tags...... Not so good of an idea. First of all, I get to ride all over. I ride in Florida, Texas, Cali, etc. Everywhere I go that they try the PASA, blah, blah, card system sucks. It's too hard to control and those who are responsible for the tags begin self selecting like in the Stanford Prison Experiment (another awesome social order experiment) and the next thing you know you have a beach full of kite police running around. We would be setting up an unenforceable system with no authority. Think of the classroom hall monitor. Example: Alpha Male Dude shows up at the beach. Maybe two or three people riding, early morning so the "authority has no backup". Kite Cop walks up, hey where is your tag? Dude: What tag? Kite Cop: You need a tag to ride here. Dude: Where do I get a tag? Kite Cop: Well you need to have a local instructor and pay some cash, who for instance isn't here or go drive 30 minutes north. Dude: F___ Off. You can see how the rest of the story goes, but if you ever rode in Miami when the first started the card thing, bouys in and out, that is exactly what happened.

So in conclusion, Tags = bad idea, can't enforce, someone is going to try and make a buck off of it which will only tick people off more, kite police will only get beat up by bigger guys because the rage gets focused on one person.

Sign - Great idea. Easy to enforce, uses the group presence as the enforcing factor, anyone can call you out for being dumb, plus if you ride there you should back up your buddy.

So I hope everyone enjoyed the psychology lecture. I hope it didn't bore anyone, it's just the way I think.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:45 PM

storm..

my initial post about the tags was mostly to ID a rider as being an instructor/helper. someone that was basically offering themselves up to be asked questions and be someone that any new rider to approach. when i started i knew no one.. my learning curve suffered. the instructor that taught me was not the st. pete local that he made himself out to be. i expected to see him on the beach so he could give me some pointers.. but that never happened. i finally met some other riders and my riding improved imensely.. if i had known who to ask for advice earlier it might have made a HUGE difference in my learning days...

The whold tag-thing got more detailed with the different colors.. and i understand how it could turn into a kite-cop scenario.. would go against everything I intended.. but it could be an unfortunate easy transition..

a sign is a great idea if people read it and do their best to understand why its there... if its just looked at and not read or not understood then its just a waste of a piece of plastic.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Skyway Scott

Interesting take, Stomatzio. I am curious, have you read the Moral Animal by Robert Wright? If so, we should go grab a drink. If not, you should (read it)

I personally think the main problem isn't infringement of rights of one group v. another within our small "tribe" but a realization by many of us that the entire "tribe" may well lose it's privilege to kite the SW when we kill a member of the larger society (kite in highway related traffic death). Many have posted how "dangerous" the SW is.
I honestly view the SW as pretty harmless to me. But, it's a very dangerous spot for a kite to get out of control or to get away. It goes straight toward the road. That's my primary concern. I've been dealing with newbies and showboats for years.(I use those terms just as a mean to break it down, not trying to be derogatory).
It's easy.. ride upwind of them. My concern is even greater than tensions between newbies and showboats . It's us losing the spot forever.

Anyway, interestingly enough, I draw the exact same conclusions that you have drawn and I did think about our group dynamic to reach them in terms of the tag. I just want to stress that we are a small group within a much larger one.

Even with my conclusion, I have zero problem wearing a tag, but I think that's a lot of effort for minimal outcome.
The sign is a good idea. It can't hurt as a tool for peer pressure, but in the end, it still comes down to riders wanting to do the right thing for our "tribe" and the whole community (many driving home with kids in the mini-van).
In my mind, with this larger frame of reference, I think new riders (green as in not self sufficient) should avoid the SW because they want to avoid it for the good of all. Not because they get under my skin, but b/c they present one of the highest risks of going downwind toward the Interstate. If they can't maneuver well, around a lot of people, they are probably going to get in trouble. It didn't use to be as crowded and you could find small area to practice. Those days seem to be gone for the SW.

I think veterans should try to be more careful too, because they could tangle up and also have kites headed for the road. They should do it because they want to though, after taking the larger picture into consideration. That's just my take.
Thanks for your insights Stormatzio.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 09-11-2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Danny got confused. :)
Old 09-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
but if you ever rode in Miami when the first started the card thing, bouys in and out, that is exactly what happened.

completely different scenario, your argument is flawed.

Tags/ streamers/ cards in Crandon were enforceable and sanctioned as a requirement to ride there.

Here they would not be enforceable nor required.

Just because the rules were not enforced over there didn't mean they didn't exist.

That being said, I agree with you 100% that streamers or whatever will not work here as anything other than as a voluntary way for people to show they are proficient. key word here
Old 09-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
Interesting take, Stomatzio. I am curious, have you read the Moral Animal by Robert Wright? If so, we should go grab a drink. If not, you should.
he should ...what....
grab a drink by himself or read the book.....
Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM
popeye

Storm makes a good point, and we've already had some disputes about the tags... nobody wants to wear a newb tag, and nobody wants to have to pay to get "recertified" to wear the intermediate tag. Also, few people want to rely on person or org X to get those tags, etc.

I say we focus on getting the sign in place and see what happens. Let's call it Plan A Bryan, could you send the latest version of the sign to Wolfie? I think he was going to have one made.