FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 AM

Default Good Size

Hey guys I've been looking into this whole kiting thing for a bit now and think I may give it a shot. I'll pry take lessons here before long and have started looking at gear. Since I will only be able to afford one kite and board to start with what size would you guys say would allow me the most riding time? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 AM

your instructor will get you all the info about that..

absolutely do NOT buy a kite and try to fly it without lessons.

if $$$ is a serious problem for lessons i know that there are instructors around that will work with your budget.

if you are just trying to skip out on the lessons and get info for a web forum, it will never equal close to hands on training with one of our many skilled local instructors.

sorry to sound like a nagging mother, but all of us in the kiting community take this very seriously.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Ok well I was hoping for a little more help as to my actual question. I understand the need for lessons but I was wanting to start looking for deals on gear so that AFTER I take lessons I'll be set to go and won't need to wait an additional few weeks to find gear and shipping and all that.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM

Wildcard,

How much do you weigh? That makes a big difference on the size kite and board you will need. Once you do that I think more people can chime in.

For example, if you are 175lbs you would need a different kite and board in the same wind as someone who was 275lbs.

Danny
Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal8199 View Post
Wildcard,

How much do you weigh? That makes a big difference on the size kite and board you will need. Once you do that I think more people can chime in.

Danny

Sorry, forgot to include the details. I stand about 5'10" and weigh in around 155lbs.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM

You will def. need more than one kite. Jay Orkins, a member of the forum had some really good deals on some equipment since he is expecting his second child....
Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Well I'll definetly get more down the road but starting off with all the costs I'll pry just have 1. Once I learn what Ilm doing and depending on how often I'll be able to get on the water I'll expand my number of kites accordingly. With school and work I'll probably only make it out on thurs/fri for awhile. That's why I want to find the right size gear so even if the wind isn't high I could still get some riding done on those days. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM

At your size I would probably get a 12 meter kite and a beginer board. Something in the 142 by 42 size. Then again it really depends on the kite too, a lot of the kites have diffrent low ends and high ends. The best part about the lesson is flying their gear. You can get a feel for what you like and then make your decision on that. Most the local instructors also sell kites too. They will be able to hook you up with a good deal and get you on the right gear. I would not buy any gear before the lesson, just in case you dont like kiteboarding. Plus if you buy online most shops will have your gear to you in less than a week. If you order from a online dealer in Florida most likely have it the next day.

Talk to Steve-0 at water sports west. (funonwater.com) He is there main instructor and can help you out a lot.

RS
Old 09-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Thanks I'll drop him a line. I'm hoping to be able to take lessons here pretty soon. Perhaps within the next week or 2.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Thanks Shogun for the referral.

Give me a shout. 727-542-8022

Got 12M kites new in the shop right now for 549.00 complete.

Lesson package starting at 375.00 for 6 hours.