FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-13-2015, 09:52 AM

Default Kiting at Ft Jefferson?

Is this possible being a Nat'l Park and all? I cannot seem to find any info.

Thx - Tim
Old 01-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I don't know about currently but a few years back you could still do it. Enrique with http://www.naplesfloridakiteboarding.com went on a trip over there and even put together a video:

I think he camped and kited off Loggerhead Key with the lighthouse. They may frown upon kiting around Garden Key where Ft. Jefferson is located, so use some restraint. I have zero recollection of either Bush or Long Keys even existing the last time I was there. Well, it was in 1973. Still, looks like probable launch areas there. I just spoke briefly with the local office of the NPS with jurisdiction over the Dry Tortugas who didn't cite any restrictions on kiteboarding there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaplus View Post
Is this possible being a Nat'l Park and all? I cannot seem to find any info.

Thx - Tim

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-13-2015, 07:57 PM

My last understanding from a few people is that it is illegal to kite in the park or to go ashore on Loggerhead Key. I have wanted to do it for a while and bummed that I could not.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:36 AM

I sent an email to the park ranger asking...I would be suprised if its allowed.
Yet looking at the newest google satellite pic...there's gotta be alot of butter in that bay west of Long Key.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I recall hearing years back about a kiting ban in the Tortugas but more recent events including the Naples trip bring that into question. Also, the ranger I spoke with had no knowledge of any restrictions. Checking the NPS website, going ashore on Loggerhead Key is permitted although it looks like camping is not? A copy of the current park regulations can be found at http://www.nps.gov/drto/planyourvisi...ationsdrto.pdf

More comments on the area at http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7641

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-04-2015, 11:42 AM

I recieved a response which states:

While kiteboarding is permitted at the Dry Tortugas NP, Kiteboards are under the same regulation as any other similar type vessel. You will need to obtain a boat permit upon arrial. We are an off-shore location per USCG regulations. As such you must have the required safety equipment (PDF which must be worn while underway and a noise making device such as a whistle or horn). Bush Key is closed due to nesting seabirds and the kite must be kept at a distance that does not harass or molest the wildlife. You will recieve a full safety briefing upon your arrival.

David Fuellner
Chief Ranger, LEO
Dry Tortugas NP
305-224-4255
Old 02-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Good work. I suspect they had to research your answer. At any rate, it looks like it is both doable and within current regulations although I am unfamiliar with the boat permit they require. Have fun and keep things flying there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaplus View Post
I recieved a response which states:

While kiteboarding is permitted at the Dry Tortugas NP, Kiteboards are under the same regulation as any other similar type vessel. You will need to obtain a boat permit upon arrial. We are an off-shore location per USCG regulations. As such you must have the required safety equipment (PDF which must be worn while underway and a noise making device such as a whistle or horn). Bush Key is closed due to nesting seabirds and the kite must be kept at a distance that does not harass or molest the wildlife. You will recieve a full safety briefing upon your arrival.

David Fuellner
Chief Ranger, LEO
Dry Tortugas NP
305-224-4255

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-05-2015, 07:34 AM

According to the National Park's website...

"Boating Permits are FREE and can be obtained in person at the Garden Key Visitor Center or Park Headquarters Office. Visitors will also receive information regarding the Research Natural Area as well as park rules and regulations"

I think this would be a memorable place to kite yet the 50lbs limit on what you can bring on the Yankee Freedom might make this a hard kite-trip to accomplish if one were to bring camping gear too.

Either way, I consider being able to kite here an amazing privilege...so anyone who is bless the with opportunity to due such...please respect the rules and use common sense.

Tim