FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Southwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
happyfirst

Default Englewood/Placida/Boca Grande spots?

Heading down there for 5 days with the boat so I can get to any spot. I'm "still" a beginner that has gotten up a few times and now just working on trying to stay upwind.

It's been a long time since I've been to that area (or even used the kite).

Any good spots where the water is shallow enough, but not too shallow, where it's safe to practice? I know to stay well away from the pass. If anything, I would try further north, for example in Placida Harbor or the north west end of Gasparilla sound. Are these spots ok?

Or depending on the wind direction, maybe even further north at stump pass? google maps makes it look like it's filled in and really shallow out there.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I would contact Enrique at http://www.naplesfloridakiteboarding.com to gain more information on the area. Winds are still fairly light outside of good systems which fortunately have been a bit more common that usual this summer. Still, with predominantly easterly winds all spots don't work as well as some others. Hope you get some nice sessions in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfirst View Post
Heading down there for 5 days with the boat so I can get to any spot. I'm "still" a beginner that has gotten up a few times and now just working on trying to stay upwind.

It's been a long time since I've been to that area (or even used the kite).

Any good spots where the water is shallow enough, but not too shallow, where it's safe to practice? I know to stay well away from the pass. If anything, I would try further north, for example in Placida Harbor or the north west end of Gasparilla sound. Are these spots ok?

Or depending on the wind direction, maybe even further north at stump pass? google maps makes it look like it's filled in and really shallow out there.

Thanks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM

There is a lagoon at Cayo Costa Island which is just south of Boca pass.
Flat shallow water and protected from the gulf. Works great on a W,WSW, WNW wind (sea breeze ).
I kited it last time I sailed thru there.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:27 AM
happyfirst

Thanks, I think I know which lagoon you are talking about. Looking at google maps, are you referring to "Pelican Bay" ?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Boca+...orida&t=h&z=15

If so, I would probably do the north side of that bay.

I've also been thinking about that lagoon on the west side of the island on the gulf. It looks like a small pass has finally opened up back into that small lagoon. At least that way, the family can enjoy the beach too.