FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM

Default Anyone getting good wind??

I have gone out to my local spot in south dade 4 times in the last few days to find 10-14mph wind. I come back home and it is cranking. Is anyone getting good wind?? Maybe my spot is the only place with bad conditions. All the other meters are going off. around 17-19..... I have do not consider fowey as one since it is 30feet i the air
Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

They guys in Miami I spoke to yesterday had similar complaints. Then again there were a few dozen at Crandon particularly earlier in the day. It did drop to around 10 to 14 mph later on. Not sure about South Dade, I would think you might mirror the upper Keys at times which isn't a bad thing for wind. Fowey is a good indicator although as you say it is about 125 ft. off the water and over six miles offshore. Still, if you take 4 to 5 mph off what it is saying you might approximate nearshore conditions in some areas to the NNW.

Have folks getting some nice water time lately?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-09-2009, 09:34 PM

Been very up and down, It has been a bit to north for matheson to be solid, also Crandon has had a south flowing current with Wind out of the north which is never a good combo. Lets hope for more NE to E and a few more mph.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 PM

I was in Marathon today and got skunked. Was there from noon to about 4:30 PM. I coulda got a ride but it would have been too much work. Then, on the drive home, Whale Harbour had a few kites in the air at about 5 PM. Only kiting I got was on Friday at Crandon. Was out Sat and Sun so dont know the conditions for those days.

Marathon and Sombrero meters all showed 17-18 knots. Go figure.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:13 AM

Default anyone getting good wind

We have had 6 solid days of good riding down here in Key West, although last week it was cold for us locals , but the Northeners did not mind, and it looks like we will get more wind today and then it might lighten up a bit.

Greg
http://www.keywestkiteboarding.com/
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 AM

This season has been terrible on the west coast. Fronts come through midweek and the wind doesnt hold for more than a day at most behind the front, sometimes just for a few hours. I was so spoiled by the seasons of 05 through o7 that allowed you to get out several times every week. I wanna move to the keys!!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 PM

That's alraight guys, I am coming down tomorrow night and I bring a cold front with me fresh from Chicago. Been doing the wind dance since Thanksgiving, last time I have been down!

Polo..

Watch, you'll see........
Old 02-16-2009, 12:13 AM

A day late because of AA over selling there flight BUT here comes that cold front as promised!

Polo..
Old 02-19-2009, 04:01 PM

pretty cool how you did that cracker! Tuesday was torture...all the boys and girls were at the whale ripping and I couldn't stand the pain of a harness...every season I seem to miss a chunk of good wind...I was just stuck in a hospital in tx with a gnarly pneumonia for over a week...lost 20lbs...it sucked! (I hear I missed the coldest wind of the year...thats cool)

Eat right and take care of yourselves!!!!

Sooooooo glad to be back!

Brad Lange
Seven Kiteboarding, Islamorada, Florida Keys
www.sevensports.com
305-853-KITE
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM

just had a great week! good crew in town...Adam with Air Kiteboarding and his entourage got some Islamorada wind...and long time friends Jeff, Henry, Steve and Andrew from Nantucket are all very tired as they begin to drive home...anyone else have a good week?

Brad Lange
Seven Kiteboarding, Islamorada, Florida Keys
www.sevensports.com
305-853-KITE