FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Default visiting this weekend

I am coming to Boca Raton this saturday till wednesday from california and was wondering if I should bring my kites.
is there a need for wetsuit also if I go kiting up around Jupiter as I notice we might have some NW winds. (side off)
how about the Keys?

any info apreciated.

thanks

Jon
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
ruffridah89

well, according to the forecast, this weekend will have in stock temps. at about 53-59 degrees. If this is just fine for you, dont bring it. Its just like, wut, a couple of ounces in your luggage, thats all.
This weekend looks good, but mostly on Sunday with Northwest winds(here in miami)
let me know where ur planning on going.
-Danny
Old 02-14-2007, 11:21 PM

well i might have to bring my springy.
can you ride miami in a NW without a boat?

not sure where ill ride but I am bringing wife and kid plus visiting family so as much as I would like to, not sure if ill be able to do a full day just for a fix.

hope the wind turns on while im there.

last trip was in the fall and i got skunked for 10 days.

ive got my fingers crossed.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:06 AM
ruffridah89

Well, since your going with the family and the kid plus others, there are 2 places for NW winds in Miami. The only place I know is Matheson Hammocks. It would be your best bet because it is shallow and its not dirty like Hobie Beach. Plus, there is a nice restaurant next to the beach for everyone.
MY favorite spot, in my opinion.
If your going, let me know in advance so I can give you the heads up on what to do and what not to do there.
This sunday looks great.
-Danny
Old 02-15-2007, 06:50 PM

I am in Fort lauderdale this week from Seattle.The wind looks promising.
I had planned to do Marco island Sun since its west(and an awsome place to kite) but do I need to go that far? I am strong intermediate kiter. Would you travel or do hobbie or mathison beach? thanks in advance for your help.
Denise
Old 02-15-2007, 08:37 PM
ruffridah89

Matheson
Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitergirl View Post
I am in Fort lauderdale this week from Seattle.The wind looks promising.
I had planned to do Marco island Sun since its west(and an awsome place to kite) but do I need to go that far? I am strong intermediate kiter. Would you travel or do hobbie or mathison beach? thanks in advance for your help.
Denise
For shoreside launches, Hobie is a popular one that can work for SW to WNW winds in Miami. There has been quite a legacy of kiter injury there so I would be sure to do a word search on here to learn more about conditions and precautions there.

Best bet in Miami with westerly winds is to take a sea taxi out to Stiltsville/Flats area. It is a lot closer and much larger than what Marco Island offers to folks in SE Florida. It costs but just like a dive charter, folks pay it for the better experience. Also, the Flats sometimes have weather closer to that of the upper Keys than mainland Miami area. This weekend if it is the case could provide some distinct advantages in terms of stronger winds http://www.srh.noaa.gov/key/cgi-bin/...ef+to+Craig+Ke

Most shoreside launches in SE Florida are poor launches for westerly winds. Either they are offshore (vast majority) or are excessively turbulent with rotor.

Marco isn't that far, just a couple of hours or less from Ft. Lauderdale but it is fairly small and rider pressure is threatening kiting access there. The area off Miami covers about 200 square miles.

If you do key word searches of the site for Hobie, Tigertail, Flats you should find quite a bit out about these various launches.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000 View Post
Matheson

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2325

?

NW and W winds are offshore at Matheson. It's doable but pretty uneven I would think.

The NWS forecast is at:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/shmrn.php?mz=amz651

and Windguru at:
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=79092

Things may still change some more over the next few days. Fingers crossed.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-15-2007, 10:13 PM

Thank you for the valuable info and web sites. I am keeping fingers crossed and daily web searches for update and possibilities. hope to see you on the water.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:26 PM

Well two begginers are headed to marco this weekend. I have had work keep me from kiting every windy day since november so I am looking forward to get back on the water. If anyone is interested in catching a car ride pm me. The more the marrier. Lets all hope for good winds.

Oh BTW, we are doing a daytrip on sunday.

Last edited by BizGuru; 02-15-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Too excited about getting back on the water; left out details