FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Lloyd Northrop III Passes

Lloyd at the Orange Bowl SUP race in Miami on January 2, 2011.

Fellow kiter, SUP'er, diver and long time friend, Lloyd Northrop III passed on Sunday from natural causes. Lloyd as been an institution in Pompano kiting and access issues for many years. He has been a regular at the NE 16th Street launch in Pompano Beach since kiting got started here. He started Waterboards seven years ago manufacturing quality, great performing kiteboards. I was fortunate enough to get one and have spent countless hours riding all over with it. He made scale board trophies for several events including the epic Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini kite race, the Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion and Kiteboard Masters. Lloyd fabricated a board as prize for the Velocity Games. Shannon Best who won it, gave it to me, it bears the signatures of all the competitors at the event. He created means for us not only to have fun on the water but commemorating these great times in a unique way. There is to be a paddleout service for Lloyd tomorrow off Hillsboro Mile. See below for more details.

Lloyd poses with one of his boards on Hillsboro Beach.

Here is an article I wrote about Waterboards in 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post

Waterboards, bringing new performance to kiteboarding.

First a bit of history, Waterboards is the creation of Lloyd T. Northup III, or Lloyd. Lloyd has been into
board sports since age 7 when his cousin gave him his first long surfboard in Newport, RI. He moved
on to snowboarding in about 1973 using a Snurfer (a 4 inch wide plank with a nose rope!). Lloyd was into
snowboard prototyping even then. Stuff with sophisticated bindings too, like inner tube rubber nailed to boards
or uh the deck, surgical tubing, etc.. He even went through bans and certification, e.g. Killington kicked the
boarders out in his fourth season. Lloyd got his first board in 1980 made by Steve Derrah, a true Pre-Jake Burton
snowboarding pioneer. Lloyd used to be a team rider for Derrah. Lloyd even got his picture in a national
snowboarding magazine in 1983.

Lloyd poses with his board design.

Some of the unusual performance qualities of the board are tied to the tappered flex tips. I understand that
Waterboards has had only one broken board in the last 50, despite the light appearence of the design.

Checkout the bend in the board. This is an important aspect that creates a lot of the intriguing handling properties
of the board.

Some early impressions about comparative performance follow after some limited sessions on Waterboards:

1. Landings are softer with the cushioning effect of the flip tips.
2. Edging requires less exertion against a building gust.
3. It is easier to land hot on the water.
4. A reduced tendency to skip or judder on marginal impacts or when fairly overpowered as compared to a normal rigid board.
5. It rides well to windward.

I would like to spend more time on the boards in varied conditions to better develop these impressions.
What have other folks experienced out there with Waterboards?

Waterboards can incorporate some pretty intriguing graphics.

Pending hearing about that, here's a blast from the past.

This is a 25 year old fiberglass wakeboard fabricated by Lloyd well before the thin twintip design so popular today.
Lloyd wants to try this puppy out with a kite, retro-gear here we come! Hey I want Max Headroom on my board too

Another old wakeboard creation of Lloyd. It looks like a tow-in board, hmmm so this is where they got the
idea from!? Lloyd next moved on to fabricating much thinner compression molded boards. He
then went heavily into construction for quite a while. Guess what? Lloyd's back!

He first noticed kiteboarders on the ocean in 1998 and started to pay attention to the sport. He took the
jump into the sport in 2001 with a 23 m inflatable as a starter kite?

He has refined compression molded fabrication of kiteboards with a Divincell core and some intriguing
flex tips or as he likes to call them, "beavertails." A BIG feature are custom board graphics, YOUR
graphics to be specific. If you have an image of something, Lloyd can place it on your board. Guys have
been working up some pretty interesting (bizarre) graphics too.

Lloyd tells me the flextips deliver softer landings, better pop in jumps, more effective bleeding off of power
and better carving. They come out of the vacuum apparatus at about 4 to 5 lbs. in weight.

Waterboards has been preparing and DONATING these excellent trophies to various kiteboarding competitions,
e.g. the Bahamas Crossing, Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion, Tampa Boardercross, etc.. Waterboards
also donated a board to the recent Kiteforum contest.

Teamriders for Waterboards have been doing well including Alex winning the first ever boardercross competition
in Florida held in Tampa. Ray Leroy won the second boarder cross comp. held in Tampa bay. Mike Bradley
came in third in the boardercross comp. held in Miami. Pretty good for a new kiteboard works! I hope we
can hear from these three guys in posts to this thread with their impressions about Waterboards.

Waterboards visits the Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion.

Waterboards has the ability to place almost any image you can dream up on your board for a nominal cost
(and on the board bag provided).

An example of a board bag.

I asked Lloyd where is was going in development currently. He said he is working on some hybrid, directional
boards for wave riding and downwinders. He is also working on a full concave board for faster riding.
Sounds real interesting, looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

The Waterboards price for standard graphics on a premade board is currently about $550. USD. Custom
graphics are only $75. extra. Boards can also be made within a length and width range. Waterboards is
in effect a custom board boutique complete with unique graphics.

Lloyd is currently looking for teamriders both in the USA and abroad. They will get boards below retail
and will receive 10% off for any board they sell.

and ... for something a little different.

I was helping Amaila with some photos to suppliment her acting & modeling portfolio. Something new for me
as I usually shoot riders on the water, fish & reef and snow, in no particularly order (or at the same time).
She said she liked surfing. So, I handed her a board and said "hold this."

Moving out.

More Waterboards info and images of boards [url=http://bit.ly/rlHoyk[/url]

Lloyd became an avid SUP'er once the sport moved into South Florida. He innovated products to aid divers and fishermen having at it offshore on their boards through http://neptunesurfproducts.com/. More about that below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Nice, handy to have on board for those offshore SUP sessions!

Here are some shots off Key West featuring the Sup-er Tray from http://neptunesurfproducts.com/:

It is designed to readily attach to your SUP deck using adhesive tabs and can be easily removed after. You can quickly mount your dive flag to the tray and keep your gear in it to as you paddle out to your diving or fishing spots.

Lloyd Northrop III creator on the Sup-er Tray carries his gear up from the water.

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?p=46509

Craig Priddy tells me friends are organizing a paddle out service for Lloyd this Wednesday, July 20, 2011 from 5-8pm @ Diamondhead condos @ 1057 Hillsboro Mile,
Hillsboro Beach, FL. Bring your paddleboard,surfboard,kiteboar​d or your boggie board. Please pass it on.

Map and directions at:
http://bit.ly/rbneYk

It is hard to believe you are gone Lloyd. I expect to hear you on the phone or see you at the beach or an event. The world is a richer place
for your life and times and now poorer with your passing. Rest in peace.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 07-21-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM

Wonderful write-up, Rick! Lloyd was a big personality who will leave a large hole in the community.

We also have information about the paddleout and service over at SF Windsports and people can leave remembrances as well in the comments.

I believe my brother Dave is trying to coordinate some of the information.

I'm going to post a link to your warm write up here as well.

Lee (& Dave) Daniels
SFWindsports.com
info@sfwindsports.com
Old 07-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks Lee, it will be difficult to not expect to run into Lloyd on a downwinder or an event or at the next response to challenges to kite access. He has been a regular participant in so many things for so many years.

Great write up and photos on your site! There is additional information there about viewings in town and in Rhode Island along with other details at:

http://sfwindsports.com/?p=5941

Here's to Lloyd!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

We had a memorial paddle out for Lloyd yesterday off his mother's condominium on Hillsboro Mile north of the lighthouse. There was a great turnout, perhaps approaching 125 people. Lloyd was well liked and respected in the waterman community.

A memorial was setup on the sand under a kite with a few shots of Lloyd and friends doing what they love on the ocean.

A good crowd was there already by 5:30 pm and building.
CLICK for full sized image.

Craig and Bryan talk with Skip of Rastaboards

An arrangement in his memory, complete with a beer, to be floated out on one of Lloyd's own SUP boards that he fabricated.

Going down to sea with Greg, Mike and friends

... and the rest of us follow. There is Charlie Mishner standing on the beach who worked with Lloyd for many years in construction.

I borrowed my wife's raceboard to paddle out. Conditions were great with just a bit of weather starting to reach out to the coast from the Everglades in the form of a thermal squall.

A short video clip from offshore complete with solo pelican overflight

A good turnout, words were spoken about Lloyd by his friends.

Family and friends come together

Packet and others grab some rides on small swells after

Lloyds mother, left and wife to the right move back to shore

The squall line eases over casting a strange light over the shore

A kiter even rides out in Lloyd's memory on the light thermals pushed seaward by the squall line. Poetic but the timing isn't so good considering the threatening storm.

Sometimes the squalls bring hazardous violent winds and at other times just direction changes and calm as in this case. The wind shifted offshore around 7:15 pm. You can just make out the kiter way offshore attempting to tack in against a offshore breeze and perhaps trying to sail north out of path of the squall. Craig was talking about paddling out to bring the guy in against the breeze blowing the fellow offshore. Things worked out this time, Lloyd must have been looking out for the guy?

Packing things up, heading home thinking about friends and life.

Lloyd had moved and influenced so many people, I know there were others who would liked to have attended but were unable to make the service. So, next time you're on the water or under it, think about Lloyd and do a session in his memory. I think he would like that.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 07-22-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 PM

Default Incredible guy

What a wonderful Tribute and Memorial. Thank you Rick for letting us be a part of it through the photos, even if we couldn't be there with you all...R.I.P Lloyd...
Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 PM

Default lloyd

it will not be the same!!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Donald Reid with http://birdsurfboards.com/ resurrects my Waterboards custom kiteboard TWICE! I got dragged over a reef and the board had also started to delaminate. The board is of unusual construction but Donald figured out how to repair it anyway. Lloyd used to hang out at the shop and swap ideas and stories. Thank you Donald! Lloyd Northrop III was an amazing guy, shaper and friend. He is now gone but his board lives on for me bringing countless hours of great sessions on the water. So, if it counts from new board construction to modification to repair, Bird Surfboards are the folks to make it happen and very well too!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi