FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > 60 Mile Jupiter To Ft. Lauderderdale RACE! > Race Info
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default 60 Mile Jupiter To Ft. Lauderdale Race 2007 !!!

his just in from Neil. The RACE IS ON!!!

"

"Hi all,

Well it's that time of year again, windy in Florida. Time to ride, compete and race. So far this season on the East coast has been epic with many days above 25 and some swells that have been second to none.

It's time to make history again. Last year we had the longest downwind race, this year we will duplicate it and I would love to see the largest race. My goal is 100+ kiters racing for 60 miles from Jupiter to Tiki Beach!
So pass the word out to anyone that is not on this list, but please let be known this is not a walk in the park, very life threatening and definitely not for an average kiter.

The web site is up check out http://www.xratedkiteboarding.com/xtreme/ things are still loading now but should be complete by the morning. There is only a few changes in the rules:

1. If you pull out for any reason you must call me immediately so I can account for you.
2. Carry $150 in cash in case of a long cab ride.
3. Anyone inside a designated swim are will be disqualified immediately, this year each life guard has my cell phone # and will call at any violation with a kite color and type.
4. There will be a new e-mail list of all people registered. Updated rules and conditions will be mailed to this group only. Via this e-mail there will be a 72 hr notice for stand by and a 36 hr notice to start.
5. http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27 will also be our official public forum for updates and questions.

The kick off part this year will be at the new Evolve Watersports in Fort Lauderdale, formally know as Waterplay on Saturday the 8th of December with the first possible race day on the 9th.

To sign up for the race YOU MUST fill out the registration form and liability waive and fax or e-mail it back to me BEFORE the 8th (fax# 954-524-1103). Pay the entrance fee is $50 cash only, NO LATER than opening party evening. I assure you all proceeds will go back into the race i.e. T-shirts, trophies, party food and dink, prize money. Prize money will be determined by how many entrances we have.

So I hope to see you on the 8th at if not sooner and if you have any questions feel free to call my cell at 954-647-7228 or e-mail me here.
See you at the new Evolve on the 8th. Lets get it on and make history again!

Cheers Neil"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Some closer views for the START in Jupiter, mandatory CHECKPOINT in Delray and FINISH in Ft. Lauderdale appear below:

START
At Kitebeach in Jupiter, FL

A view to the northwest over the start area from seaward. Helicopter photos credited to Gerry Smith.

CHECKPOINT
At Kitebeach in Delray, FL

A view to the northwest from seaward of the checkpoint.

FINISH
At Tiki Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Tiki Beach and THE FINISH!!!

Make sure you know what the CHECKPOINT looks like and where it is located. Guys lost time by not knowing last time around.

You can do a tour of the race course via google earth at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2489

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by admin; 11-28-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 AM

This will be another epic event! We will push hard in Miami to get 10-15 riders up to Jupiter for the event, but as you know Miamians aren't much for joining. For most down here it's more about talking about how good you are on the beach... Right Oliver!

I am hoping that they control the check point better this year. There must be a mark in the water and a staff on the beach. Riders should pass between the mark and the staff and NOT disboard as this can be dangerous and cause complications when 5-6 riders are coming in. The mark in the water needs to be at least 30 ft out from the low water line. This would allow riders to pass by quickly but also be recognized.

I personally would also like the start of the race to be an on the water start with a timed down wind start sequence. It was hard enough to get off the beach last year with 48 kites, this year with 100 plus there will be problems. The water start will be just as visual, but will also allow for a fair start. Those that are trying to win will be on the start line at GO and those just looking to ride can either start on the beach just up wind from the start or follow on the water behind. I'd just hate to see people taken out of the race by a wrap before it even starts.

For the start, I'm happy either way, but remember that last year the top 3 finished with in 1 minute of each other.

As far as the beach is concerned, it is a good idea to have the life guards have some influence, but it might also be nice to have a lead jet ski with the front pack. This ski can police and encourage racers to ride outside of the buoys. Additionally, it would be a great vantage point to film the front of the race. I'm sure that a good driver could stay ahead of the pack. At any rate it is just an idea.

Thanks again Neil. Can't wait to hit the water.

Kent
Old 11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just put some more seaward shots in the post above this to help with recognition from the water.

Good points Kent. A grand prix start of 100 guys with a Jupiter shorebreak could be challenging particularly if the beach is narrower than last year. Throw in a high tide at the start if things come down that way and it could get real tricky. A start on the water sounds interesting. Even if the pack, aside from yourself and a few others go within a 1/4 mile of the line, it probably won't make all that much difference over the next couple of hours+. Last year in the distance races contenders would yo yo front to rear with the odd setback and yet they still hit it pretty hard and well.

Your idea of a check in at sea also has some advantages and disadvantages. Erosion has been chipping at that beach too although they did truck in quite a bit of fill about a month ago. What do you think Neil?

Looking forward to it. THANKS NEIL!

Should be glorious, again!

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-28-2007, 03:17 PM

in looking at the start photo from last year above, i think that 100 kites will be a killer. probably a 1/2 mile line. the shore break was substantial last year as well. isn't there a pier over in jupiter? the start could be between the pier and a buoy about 500 yards off. can you imagine 70-100 kites charging the water at the same time. the heli view would be awesome!

yeah the check point can be tricky, but getting off the board is probably not the best option. it will create a bottle neck and possible hassles. i'm guessing that the wind won't be as good this year as it was last season and therefore riding in close to hale your name might be easier. Hard to tell.

The only thing that i'm sure of is a minimum of 70 racers and this changes things a bit. i really hope that the event goes on the 9th. it seems as though our riding interest and season doesn't really kick in full time until we get an event off. Additionally, it is good to get FL press for the early spring mags. can't let the left coast boys think that they invented racing.

kent
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Thumbs up

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!
glad Neil is pulling another one off!! Great comments from Kent on improvement for a big starting line sighted off the pier!!
Thanks NEIL!!!! good job!!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, the long range forecast is looking pretty good for Sunday! We would be pretty lucky to pull it off so soon given the horrible wind conditions for November. I hope that we are as lucky as last year. Those times were very fast.

My guess for winning time is 3 hr. 33. min. 12 sec...... a bit slower than last year, but I can't think that we will have 25 again. I just hope that we can get the race off.

Kent
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Can't Re-member

Wow, that's some long range forecasting Kent!

But, I can see magicseaweed does show 15-18kts maybe starting after about 153 hours from now . ( sun. after 10am )

that would be helpful for wind starved kitesurfers. I guess Neil will let us know 36 hrs prior if the forecast holds up
Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 AM

Raul,

Are you heading over with your wonderful wife? I hope you guys can make it. Yeah, my long range forecasting is pretty good, let's hope that it holds.

I'm guessing with a bunch of pent up kiteboarders in the state of Florida, we will see very good attendence. The party at Evolve should be good on Saturday but if the race is going to be on Sunday, better stick to the water instead of beer.

Kent
Old 12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Can't Re-member

You better believe it! maybe not the party but for sure the race.

the wind minimum would have to be 15 kts ( is that right Niel? ), but the closer to the finish line, it looks to get windier the further southward from jupiter you go.

c'mon kent, I'm counting on you to stick to the beer